ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2010 Orioles Gameday Thread

Also... while last night seemed to be some regression for Jones... he's actually been the one improving hugely.

Since May 8, when his average was 218, he's hit 292 (including last night's 0-4) to raise his average to 256. Hardly All-Star like, but he is coming around again slowly. His strikeouts in that span are still WAY too high... but his bat is slowly getting better. And he's slugging over 400 in that span too. :)

Sounds like Valentine is out of managerial search...

Nothing official, but a blog post on Orioles Insider at the Sun has some comments from him about his interview on Friday... and to me, it sounds like he is saying he doesn't want the job. He says he likes challenges, but he also likes rewards. And he not so subtly makes it known that it seems like the O's job would have no rewards.

He also apparently got in a good jab at Angelos. :)

See... and then a guy like Arrieta makes a couple of starts like these last two... and the team sucks you right back in.

Matusz... Tillman... Arrieta... it will come together... one day.

See... and then a guy like Arrieta makes a couple of starts like these last two... and the team sucks you right back in.

Matusz... Tillman... Arrieta... it will come together... one day.

I completely agree, dc. Just when you are about to give up on this team Arrieta comes out and pitches his second gem in a row. You have to love Arrieta. He has a bulldog mentality on the mound, a great pitcher's body, and an excellent fastball he can attack hitters with. The guy was criticized for not going deep into games in the minors, but he goes 7 innings last night which is a very encouraging sign. It seems like the guy used his time well in AAA making the neccessary adjustments that would help him in the majors. Is there any reason why this guy won't be able to lead a staff? Sure, he might not have the complete arsenel of an ace, but he has the swagger and an attacking fastball to lead the staff in the form of an AJ Burnett or Matt Garza.

I am not worried about Matusz. I think he will put it together and be a solid pitcher for us. I do not think he is the ace as advertised, but his offspeed stuff and physical makeup is definitely enough to be a very solid #2 pitcher for us. And there is nothing wrong about that. Tillman I am much more worried about. I cannot help but think Hayden Penn when I see Tillman. Both guys shot through the minors with no problem and dominated the highest competition at AAA. However, Tillman seems to be having the same problems Penn did. The mental make up is not there and Tillman is having trouble keeping the ball down in the zone. Tillman is still only 21, 22-years old, so there is a lot of time. Maybe some time in the pen will do him good.

One more guy to point out: David Hernandez. Anyone else see this guy as our future closer? He seems to be thriving in short spurts as a reliever. His fastball is consistently in the upper 90's, and he is attacking hitters in a way he was not doing as a starter. It seems like he has found his niche as a pitcher and could be extremely effective for us as a closer.

Don't look now, but Adam Jones is starting to heat up. His strike out numbers are still way too high, but that average is starting to pick back up, he is driving the ball for power and knocking in runs. In the past week he is hitting .385/.429/.538/.967 with a homerun and six RBIs. Lets see if he can put together a solid second half of the season.

Yes, there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. If the pitching can continue to improve, and Jones and Wieters start to pick it up you have to feel a little better than what our record says. Also, keep an eye on our top prospect Zachary Britton down in AA Bowie. He is putting together a very solid season going with 6-3 with an 2.84 ERA (55 SO-24 BBs and an outstanding 3.18 GO-AO average). Even more importantly, the guy is working on the things that will make him successful in the majors. Instead of overrelying on his excellent, downward-moving fastball, he is making a concious effort to use his sinker and change-up. The fact that he is putting together a solid season while working on aspects of his game that need improvement is very encouraging. Don't be surprised to see Britton up at AAA by midseason and possibly earn a spot in the rotation in 2011.

Arrieta could have easily finished the 8th tonight too... I was very upset at Samuel for pulling him. It almost blew up in his face and there seemed to be little reason to do it. Arrieta had just given up his THIRD hit of the game (OMG, three hits!) on a grounder up the middle. And then you get a pinch-hitter coming up - and not a very intimidating one - and suddenly it's all match-ups and lefty-lefty. And Ohman puts the PH on base anyway!! Argh.

Anyway, I think Arrieta had plenty more. And yes, I think he's solid too.

I was laughing the other day as I listen to more sports radio these days... and Bruce Cunningham (I think) was saying he thinks Matusz is/was the top projected guy by far... then Tillman close behind... then Arrieta a few steps behind them both, a few big steps.

He might be right. But based on minor league performance over the last few years, Arrieta has had the most success down there. No reason to think the oldest guy with the most minor league experience and the best performances won't be the most reliable up here. I think all three look very promising still and could care less in which order.

Agree on Hernandez entirely.

Disagree with Ken. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish he would have.

It's weird how he just gave up after the home plate umpire yelled at him and finally let the cops put on the cuffs.

• 2 weeks later...

5-1 under Buck. This team is playing good baseball. I don't know what it is, but you look at Buck and you truly believe that Buck knows exactly what he is doing. He has a very focused look on him from the first inning to the ninth, there is no BS with Buck. And it looks like the players believe this as well. They have been playing hard because they know Buck will get on their ass if they dont. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I don't believe it is the "Buck Fear Factor."

But I do believe it is trying to prove something to a new boss.

I also believe that Roberts and Pie are having a huge impact. And who knows, the absence of Miggy's overswinging bat may not be hurting either - especially in the line-up. I think Markakis is great in the #2 spot when Roberts is in.

But I don't disagree with your assessment of what Buck brings to the club. I just can't give him credit for 6 straight quality starts - and a few much better than that - in a week with the team.