ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2010 Orioles Gameday Thread

Okay, maybe I've not been paying attention, but when did Griffey Jr. go back to Seattle? I commented out loud to myself when I saw him get that single just now...

Haha. I don't follow baseball like I used to, but even I remember that announcement. In other news, should this thread be renamed to 2010 Orioles Slaughterday Thread?

Although this isn't their worst start 'record-wise' in team history this might be their worst start ever because of the timing.

It's the worst that could happen for a franchise desperately trying to get their fans on board after 12 years of losing.

All the new players...all the moves...all the stuff we're supposed to get excited about and "begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel" has been totally washed out.

They can't beat anybody.

They are out of slogans so I got a new one for them.

"Come to the Yard and Watch the Grass Grow!"

That's all I expect.

Figgins almost went opposite field for 2B, good thing the pitch appeared to hang just a bit, montanez (whatever) got to it. would have been a one or 2 RBI double against Millwood.... this season is difficult in every way to watch, except for Matusz.

Its hard to clean house in season, but at this point fire everyone, have Joe Smith or Bill Jones manage and coach the team and take the time to interview and find replacements for the manager position and every other coaching position. Can they do worse?

When you break it down it is the players making the mistakes and not playing well, not Trembley, but at some point a change has to be made. What the team projected as their best in years has the potential to be one of their worst ever.

Seriously... I amazed at the ways we find to lose, still.

Errors early in the game. Weak bats. STILL we manage to tie it, STILL we have a great chance to win...

And we walk three straight batters to send in the go ahead run? What the fuck? I don't often do the "If I'm the manager..." ... but that IS a situation where I say "JUST THROW A FUCKING STRIKE."

You know, you can't always get on a hitter for taking a bad hack or watching a pitch go by ... but when three straight hitters see nothing but balls? Blow your fucking stack.

Meanwhile... Wieters was safe at second.

Errors early in the game. Weak bats. STILL we manage to tie it, STILL we have a great chance to win...

And we walk three straight batters to send in the go ahead run? What the fuck? I don't often do the "If I'm the manager..." ... but that IS a situation where I say "JUST THROW A FUCKING STRIKE."

You know, you can't always get on a hitter for taking a bad hack or watching a pitch go by ... but when three straight hitters see nothing but balls? Blow your fucking stack.

Meanwhile... Wieters was safe at second.

LMAO. In some ways that's actually pretty impressive. Its better to laugh......

I agree. I mean, every night when I head upstairs and my girlfriend asks me "if they won," I just chuckle.

And it is both sad and amusing... sad that we keep losing, amusing that we find new ways to do it and it ever surprises me.

Sigh.

A coworker reminded me of a good line in the original (1957) 12 Angry Men:

"You follow a team?"

"Yeah, the Baltimore Orioles."

"The Baltimore Orioles?? That's like waking up and getting hit with a lead pipe every morning."

Found actual quote, finally:

Juror #7: "You a Yankee fan?"

Juror #5: "No, Baltimore."

Juror #7: "Baltimore? That's like being hit in the head with a crow bar once a day."

.... yes, yes it is.

1-10 WRISP last night, it's basically the same thing more often than night, making the score tight so stupid errors (like by Tejada who's playing out of position) or bad relief pitching or bad base-running or mistakes-du-jour make each close game a loss.

Well, certainly not scoring enough is always a part of losing. ;)

But we should be able to win tight games. We should be capable of (on occasion, at least) winning a game 3-2. Or 4-3.

On tonight: I like Rhyne Hughes already.

On tonight: I like Rhyne Hughes already.

Yeah, he's already got the umps watching him. Does he have a problem with bats or something? Let's see what Wieters can do w/2 runners on and 3-1 count. And... he pops out; O's are now 2-8 WRISP tonight.

edit: Matusz looks good (again), meaning there still might be a reason to watch for another week...

Well, he broke one bat... then took too much time getting his next bat cleaned up. Rookie mistake, but he seemed to be okay with the umps anyway.

In other news: Fuck this baseball team. I don't know if I'm going to make it out of April as a fan of this team. And that's saying a lot. I may even demand a refund for my season tickets. This is pathetic.

In other news: Fuck this baseball team. I don't know if I'm going to make it out of April as a fan of this team. And that's saying a lot. I may even demand a refund for my season tickets. This is pathetic.

LMMFAO, OMG come on, patience is a skill, not a virtue. anyway, I totally missed the 6-runs scored by boston (I was watching Pit-Ott hockey), but really, that's the way of the O's, make it a bit close, have a pitcher do well then screw his win. What did you expect? Treat it clinically, not emotionally. It's hard to read your posts with that frustration, you're better than that.

edit: you've been cussin' alot

Millz, sorry if you don't like the language. It comes out occasionally.

As for patience... I think most around here will tell you (those who have seen me post at my peak) that I am about as patient as it comes with sports. Not too many highs or lows or blow-ups. But even I'm at my breaking point. It's just insane - I can't even wrap my head around it.

And to top it off, I'm just beyond tired of listening to the Peter Angelos/Orioles PR machine that is the announcing crew. I said it preseason with the addition of Garrett Atkins (the 2010 version of Aubrey Huff, Ty Wigginton, Kevin Millar, Luke Scott, Marty Cordova, etc etc)... I can't handle having these guys shoving the "upside" down my throat.

Ty Wigginton's having a decent two week stretch. Producing some runs, but simultaneously hitting into as many DPs and whatever else to kill rallies. But Ty Wiggington is not a solid baseball player. And Ty Wigginton is not going to be a part of this team's success long-term.

But all April (and likely for the remainder of the season), we'll get to hear about "just what Ty can do" when he's on his game - and if only he can get that back. Just like we're hearing it right now about Scott and how "if he can find the zone he was in last May." And Garret Atkins finding his "2008 form."

Guess what? It doesn't exist. Stop telling me that it's just unlucky that they aren't producing. Stop telling me they are good players who just need to find a groove. No. They are streaky, inconsistent players. That's why the Orioles were the only ones willing to sign them. And that's why this team is not going to succeed.

Millz, sorry if you don't like the language. It comes out occasionally.

As for patience... I think most around here will tell you (those who have seen me post at my peak) that I am about as patient as it comes with sports.

LOL I'm cool with your language, I'm actually happier you're more vocal. Profanity doesn't bother me (I'm a city schools' teacher) and I know you're patient. Just chill. I love your posts. this baseball team brings out the crazees in all of us.

I didn't know you were teacher... same here. Certainly part of why I bite my tongue when others my age don't seem to concern themselves with it. haha.

Meanwhile..... ARGH. Ty Wigginton gets 4 hits tonight... but can't put it in play when it actually matters. Sigh. TY SWING BAT!

That is definitely something to be proud of, Millz, and not just because of the standard "city schools are awful." Obviously some can be extremely difficult, but others are extremely impressive. And, of course, lots of good things have started to happen there in recent years - even if not Alonzo is a bit of a ego.

I'm in my first full year at a local Catholic high school. Started mid-year, even... and my AP class takes its exam in just two weeks. AH!