ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2010 Orioles Gameday Thread

Great baserunning by Wiggington. Runners on 1st and 2nd with two down and the ball gets away from the catcher. So Ty starts to go to 2nd and stop, getting himself in a run down for the final out.

And ofcourse the Rays score the next inning.

Great baserunning by Wiggington. Runners on 1st and 2nd with two down and the ball gets away from the catcher. So Ty starts to go to 2nd and stop, getting himself in a run down for the final out.

And ofcourse the Rays score the next inning.

I agree that it was bad baserunning, but I think that it is much more on Scott than on Wiggy. Scott broke to 2nd, running hard for a few steps, then just stopped in no man's land. Wiggy was watching Scott to make sure he went, went when Scott went (like he should have) , and then when Scott pulled up he hung Wiggy out to dry. Bone-headed play.

I agree that it was bad baserunning, but I think that it is much more on Scott than on Wiggy. Scott broke to 2nd, running hard for a few steps, then just stopped in no man's land. Wiggy was watching Scott to make sure he went, went when Scott went (like he should have) , and then when Scott pulled up he hung Wiggy out to dry. Bone-headed play.

I dont doubt it, I was listening on the radio and they seemed to blame Wiggington.

Tonight it was Pie's turn to run into an out.

I agree, so far this team is making it hard to enjoy any aspect of their play.

Is it all one persons fault? No, but I know they have to be thinking when to fire Trembley. And if they really think this team is a better than last years they have to. Soon.

I like his attitude and his press conferences but I havent liked how many base running and fundamental mistakes this team seemed to make in the past year.

If they fire him they better f'in clean house too and get rid of the coaching staff.

This is painful, the O's are absolutely terrible this season. We definitely need some sort of shake-up. Not only is the pitching bad, the team is not hitting, the defense is making a lot errors, and there are dumb mistakes on the base paths. Who are some of the managers out there?

I am sure that thoughts of firings have to be out there... they certainly are among fans.

If there is a firing, I think you're right - it should be a clean house. Unfortunately, you can't clean house midseason. It's just not possible. So that would have to wait. Which makes me wonder how likely a firing can be? And, of course, it's only been 9 games.

But on top of this... we have to look at what's really wrong here, which is really complicated. In the middle of a losing streak, especially one like this, every last little mistake is magnified. The baserunning blunders look obscene, but obviously look even worse in the midst of an awful streak.

So, what is really wrong and whose fault is it?

Starting pitching has actually been pretty impressive. In fact, short of Bergesen's two starts, we've gotten 7 pretty good starts that have put us in good positions.

Minus two Mike Gonzalez blown saves, you're talking about a 3-6 team.

Minus Kevin Millwood and Brian Matusz's meltdowns, you're talking a 5-4 team.

Of course, had the bullpen not been so pathetic in past games, Millwood and Matusz perhaps wouldn't have been left out to get outs they were straining to get... so there's a few problems that play off each other.

The bats have been a serious problem. Roberts' rough spring and now injury certainly hasn't helped. And the seasonal slow start from Markakis hasn't helped either. But what do you do with either of those problems? Bench Markakis? Is that even an option?

Somewhere, somehow, the bats need to start producing. 8 runs in 3 games this series against the Rays. Only 12 ABs with RISP. Only 1 hit in those situations. Bad baserunning mistakes. Bad at bats. Bad double plays. That's just silly.

But how much of that is on Trembley?

The fact is we have a lot of 'good' bats but none that are great (yet). Markakis will be beyond good in June, but April slumps. Pie, Jones, Wieters, Reimold... all still coming up and good, but not special. Wigginton, Tejada, Atkins, Scott? They're all at points where they have established themselves as just 'good.' But just 'good' won't save you ... especially when they're all slumping.

No excuses here. But a realistic look - what mistakes, what issues had Trembley really had control over? Even the baserunning issues were hardly game-changers. The Scott-Wigginton issue came with 2 outs... what are the legit odds that the O's score there anyway? Slim to none given their play.

Well Pie's base running out was with no outs last night then the next batter doubled so that would have had an effect. I partially agree and am partially amused by your argument of ineptness by the team making their base running problems matter less.

My thoughts of Trembley being fired mainly stem from the teams perspective that they expect to be better this season, and Trembley knows that is expected. So when, if they do not turn it around do they make the move? Records of 1-10? 3-20?

I know how hard it is to clean house midseason, so in many ways I would prefer to wait but I dont think the team will.

Well Pie's base running out was with no outs last night then the next batter doubled so that would have had an effect. I partially agree and am partially amused by your argument of ineptness by the team making their base running problems matter less.

Of course. It's not exactly a fulfilling argument to make. But I think 3-5 baserunning errors are the least of this team's worries.

Meanwhile, it still is an interesting question. And I think you're right - if the need arises, Trembley will be gone midseason. But I don't know what the turning point is.

When do we cross the threshold from "early season slump" to "historically bad?"

7 games on the west coast before a day off. You've obviously gotta win some of them to avoid anything other than 'slump.' Then 12 straight against the Yankees and Sox? Yikes.

Say we go 3-4 on the west coast (4-12). Going into that stretch against NY and BOS... expectations can't be high. But you can't accept sweep after sweep. What's the expectation?

Say we go 3-4 on the west coast (4-12). Going into that stretch against NY and BOS... expectations can't be high. But you can't accept sweep after sweep. What's the expectation?

A win every 3 games on average, during this stretch; so, even bad on MLB historical proportions, but an improvement for this team right now. that's saying something...

GO PENS!!

This is painful, the O's are absolutely terrible this season. We definitely need some sort of shake-up. Not only is the pitching bad, the team is not hitting, the defense is making a lot errors, and there are dumb mistakes on the base paths. Who are some of the managers out there?

How about a little fundamental baseball, you know like catching pop flys in the infield, dont these professionals spend 8 weeks in florida doing these simple things? Jeeesh, listening to the game yesterday made me disgusted. If we are cleaning house, it needs to start with McFail all the way down, these pitchers we have, they are nothing than 4's & 5's on any other ball club.

Thank god they went West for a couple of series..

How about a little fundamental baseball, you know like catching pop flys in the infield, dont these professionals spend 8 weeks in florida doing these simple things? Jeeesh, listening to the game yesterday made me disgusted. If we are cleaning house, it needs to start with McFail all the way down, these pitchers we have, they are nothing than 4's & 5's on any other ball club.

Thank god they went West for a couple of series..

I disagree about the pitchers. If anything, they are the strongest part of the team right now and McPhail is a master of them...

Millwood, despite his spring, has given the team two solid outings. His second was superb until late in the game when he seemed to run down.

Matusz is perhaps the best pitcher under 25 not named Price in the majors right now. And he's showing it. He will be this team's ace one day.

Guthrie is having an alright time of it, especially compared to his spring and last year. Not fantastic, but better than expected.

Hernandez has been pretty fine too. Sure, a 4 or 5 everywhere else... he's our 5.

Bergesen is the only confusing one ... and I think he'll turn around. But we also have plenty in the tank in Tillman, Arrietta, Erbe, Britton, etc...

Meanwhile... short of Gonzalez, the relief efforts haven't been awful. Albers even had a great few games until the last couple appearances.

Our pitching has, with one exception, put us in the position to win every game. And MacPhail built that - despite all the doubters.

loss on blown save ... again.

why the game wasn't on?? i dunno.

but gamecast just showed me jason johnson let a man reach on a wild pitch third strike... then let him advance on a wild pitch... then intentional walk... then game winning single.

tadaaaaaaaa.

but gamecast just showed me jason johnson let a man reach on a wild pitch third strike... then let him advance on a wild pitch... then intentional walk... then game winning single.

tadaaaaaaaa.

Game wasn't on because Fox has broadcast rights to the 4:05 time slot on Saturdays. National blackout of any other game. Of course, I don't know if I would have wanted to watch this. Again.

I was looking everywhere for this game, but I do recall they have a few here or there each year that don't make it on TV. Seems ridiculous in this era, but then I guess I was spared another little dagger to the heart. This team is gonna limp into the hardest stretch of the year...

It's absurd that you can black out a game in its local region for a 'national game' on another network.

Especially when the national network isnt even showing the game.

I am feeling big error keeping an inning alive for more runs today.

It's absurd that you can black out a game in its local region for a 'national game' on another network.

It's the same for the ESPN Sunday Night slot, though there normally isn't another game at the time unless there is a doubleheader that day for a team. It sucks, it black's out MLB.TV as well.