ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Will Matt Elam become that player this year?

Tornado700

After two years as a bust, can he be that guy this year? If Elam was the player taken # 1 that the Ravens thought he was, than why wasn't he? Pure and simple, it comes down to one word. Talent. I hope I'm wrong, but am not counting on him. You either got it or you don't. Every now and then, the Ravens miss one. Matt Elam, I believe, was one of those. He's a good guy and I truly hope I'm wrong.

Agree or disagree?

whats disturbing to me about the kid is he can't tackle, i can give a safety a couple of years to learn the game at the NFL level, they say safety is one of the hardest positions to transition into the nfl, but there are too many times that he is there to make the tackle and simple can't get the guy down, missing Amendola in the playoffs is still in my head, and Amendola is not the biggest of players. When he gets to the ball he needs to bring some fire along with him.

whats disturbing to me about the kid is he can't tackle, i can give a safety a couple of years to learn the game at the NFL level, they say safety is one of the hardest positions to transition into the nfl, but there are too many times that he is there to make the tackle and simple can't get the guy down, missing Amendola in the playoffs is still in my head, and Amendola is not the biggest of players. When he gets to the ball he needs to bring some fire along with him.

It's funny...in college he was known as a big hitter. For whatever reason that hasn't shown up in the NFL.

I go back to what I said when they drafted him; he has no instincts, no quickness, no speed = bust.

Yes, he was a big hitter in college, but that was all it was; hits. No real tackles, this does not work in today's NFL.

He ran a basic defense in college where he could roam all over because he had "college" speed. That does not translate into the NFL if you are not smart enough to understand NFL defenses, and, NFL offenses.

These are the reasons he is almost always out of position, why he gets burned by quicker wr's, and why he misses so many tackles..... Great college player, a good special teams player at best in the NFL....

I go back to what I said when they drafted him; he has no instincts, no quickness, no speed = bust.

Yes, he was a big hitter in college, but that was all it was; hits. No real tackles, this does not work in today's NFL.

He ran a basic defense in college where he could roam all over because he had "college" speed. That does not translate into the NFL if you are not smart enough to understand NFL defenses, and, NFL offenses.

These are the reasons he is almost always out of position, why he gets burned by quicker wr's, and why he misses so many tackles..... Great college player, a good special teams player at best in the NFL....

Yeah, what's the deal with those Florida players? Muschamp was a good defensive coach but only Carlos Dunlap and Joe Haden have had success.

Yeah, what's the deal with those Florida players? Muschamp was a good defensive coach but only Carlos Dunlap and Joe Haden have had success.

If you look over his record against talented offenses, you will see, Muschamp exposed. He thrived on having better athletes, over whelming from four, and, an offense that scored points, took care of the ball. Once he lost those things, his defenses were exposed.

Comparitively, it is easy to have a very good defense in college with players who are fast, or unaffraid to hit but have no instincts or are not "smart enough" to understand the schemes.... These players are exposed, as we have seen, in the NFL.

If you look over his record against talented offenses, you will see, Muschamp exposed. He thrived on having better athletes, over whelming from four, and, an offense that scored points, took care of the ball. Once he lost those things, his defenses were exposed.

Comparitively, it is easy to have a very good defense in college with players who are fast, or unaffraid to hit but have no instincts or are not "smart enough" to understand the schemes.... These players are exposed, as we have seen, in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13250881/will-muschamp-auburn-tigers-top-defensive-mind-football-gus-malzahn-says

It will be interesting to see how he does at Auburn in the tough division in college football. Auburn is paying him a lot of money, and from the link above, obviously have a very high opinion of him.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13250881/will-muschamp-auburn-tigers-top-defensive-mind-football-gus-malzahn-says

It will be interesting to see how he does at Auburn in the tough division in college football. Auburn is paying him a lot of money, and from the link above, obviously have a very high opinion of him.

Auburn always seems to have giant oak trees for a defesnive line, every year.... Love them, love what they are doing there and I do think he will do well there. Unlike at Florida, he will only be a defnsive coach, so the recruiting is done by the head coach: Gus Malzahn; love this guy.

He knows offense, knows talent, knows how to get the most out of players and, perhaps more key, how to use them properly. This will just help Muschamp's defense in a big way, giving him better athlethes who, and here is the key, understand how to play in a system, rather than just rely on their athleticism. Muschamp's teams always had discipline issues, on & off the field. Coach Gus doesn't have the problem, he gets his kids to work hard.