ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2014 SB Bullshit

vmax

The rich get richer....

Today the NFL owners dropped their trowsers to New York for the 2014 Super Bowl...because it is their #1.

It was all about money. They bent the rules.

I hope it's 2 feet of snow, sub zero temps with gale force winds.

I see no reason why Baltimore and other NFL cities can't bid for a Super Bowl now that they bent the rules.

“I’m all for it,” Harbaugh said on Tuesday. “You know why? Because it means Baltimore might get one. So, you put one in New York, then come on down here to Baltimore and we’ll have a Super Bowl, too. That’s what I’d be for.

“Maybe I’m speaking out of turn… but Baltimore built a stadium, put a lot of money into a brand new stadium, so you start bringing it up here, I think we want one.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=5720[/img]

I'm with you John. If they open the bidding up to all teams, then this isn't a bullshit move but my money says they will slight the 'havenots'.

Edited by vmax

I thought for sure you of all people max would be for a championship game in New York. Outside in the elements, the way football was supposed to be played. I mean the '58 Championship game was played in New York. Teddy Bruschi made a good point, think of all the classic NFC/AFC Conferance Championship games that were played in the elements. I am willing to give this one a chance.

Oh I'm tired of Miami and Tampa Bay ect cleetz.

Where I'm comming from is the owners were in no mood or sense of urgency to get a SB here or any other 'cold city' until this new stadium in New Jersey was built. I'm sure it's all about the money.

We have a new stadium...Philly...even that shit hole in Landover is a legit SB location....but the media market and the $$$$'s of New York once again wins out.

Hey...this is a good video on the '58 Championship game...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8184f9d4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It really doesn't matter where they play it I guess because the average fan, who supports his team all year, can't afford tickets to a Super Bowl game. They price us out of it.

It's for the corporate crowd.

Oh I'm tired of Miami and Tampa Bay ect cleetz.

Where I'm comming from is the owners were in no mood or sense of urgency to get a SB here or any other 'cold city' until this new stadium in New Jersey was built. I'm sure it's all about the money.

We have a new stadium...Philly...even that shit hole in Landover is a legit SB location....but the media market and the $$$$'s of New York once again wins out.

Hey...this is a good video on the '58 Championship game...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8184f9d4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It really doesn't matter where they play it I guess because the average fan, who supports his team all year, can't afford tickets to a Super Bowl game. They price us out of it.

It's for the corporate crowd.

I think it was more of a perfect storm, max. Especially after the Super Bowl DISASTER in Detriot a few years back, if there was a Northern city with an outdoor stadium to have a Super Bowl first, New York would be the market. Think, if they had it in Pennsylvania or Maryland and it was a failure, the argument would be the market was not big enough and New York would always be in the conversation. But having it in New York first, if New York fails then we know it would not work in Maryland or Pennsylvania. But if New York works, like Harbaugh said, suddenly other Northern cities are in the conversation.

BTW, thanks for the video on the '58 Championship!

Come on Max, where were the NFL Championship Games played?? Baltimore. NY, Leaveland, Green Bay.

Its a great Idea, but as long as we all get a piece of the pie.

No other cold weather city will ever get a Super Bowl. And that's why the decision is BS.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/26/on-cold-weather-super-bowls-pandoras-icebox-is-wide-open/

On cold-weather Super Bowls, Pandora's icebox is wide open

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2010 7:40 PM ET

Before as few as 17 and as many as 23 owners voted on Tuesday to award Super Bowl XLVIII to New York/New Jersey, it was widely believed that the staging of an NFL title game in a cold-weather, open-air city would be a one-shot deal.

That hasn't stopped folks with ties to Northern towns from making their pitches for an in-the-elements Super Bowl of their own. At last count, the Redskins, Ravens, and Packers have thrown their Nutria rat hats into the ring. (Another coach from a cold-weather city has expressed an interest in hosting the game, too. More on that later tonight.)

So what gives? Isn't an open-air, cold-weather Super Bowl a one-time-only arrangement?

Maybe not.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell didn't rule out the possibility of the game being played in other cold-weather cities having stadiums without lids.

"I think each game will be decided on an individual basis," Goodell told reporters on Tuesday. "I do believe that New York is a unique market. I think the membership recognizes that. It is the number-one market in our country and in many cases around the world. From that standpoint it will be a great experience for our fans and for the NFL. I am confident that the bid they put together will turn out to be a great event."

So what gives? A cynic may wonder whether the league has realized that encouraging bids from other cold-weather cities will serve only to enhance all of the bids that are submitted. When South Florida host committee chairman Rodney Barreto complained that the extra $1 million that Miami thrown into the offer on the eve of the vote wasn't enough to pry the game from New York, the implicit message to other warm-weather locales could be this: "Try harder."

Those efforts won't necessarily come in the form of cash money, but also via stadium enhancements aimed at making the local venue more attractive. And the possibility of future cold-weather Super Bowls could result in teams in cooler climates trying to get state-of-the-art facilities, too.

Basically, the New York/New Jersey decision opens a new frontier of leverage when it comes to bidding for the Super Bowl, both as to the financial packages presented to the league and the ongoing keeping-up-with-the-Jerry-Joneses pursuit of newer and better stadiums. In the end, the NFL will continue to win, and win big.

The only surprise in this regard is that it took the league 48 Super Bowls to figure this out.

No other cold weather city will ever get a Super Bowl. And that's why the decision is BS.

Detroit and Minny have hosted Super Bowls in their domes, Detroit hosted a SB in an ice storm. Football in the elements is football at its best, I would like to go on record that the Baltimore Metro area will not see snow like we just did for another 40 years.

Detroit and Minny have hosted Super Bowls in their domes, Detroit hosted a SB in an ice storm. Football in the elements is football at its best, I would like to go on record that the Baltimore Metro area will not see snow like we just did for another 40 years.

OMG, have you learnt nothing from your *** I'm stupid for thinking this game is easy *** predictions.

Baltimore will probably end up having a mini ice age next winter.

• Upvote 1

Come on Mad Man, last years snowfall was a fluke, kinda like the Bengals seasons, we broke a total dating back to 1893. Sorry but snowfalls of that magnitude will not hit here til Im long gone.

Baltimore has had 10 blizzards since 1893, Im sure they can duck another one to host a super bowl

http://www.google.com/search?q=baltimore+snow+totals+history&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS381US381&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u&ei=O5cDTK2wD4G88gbC48DcDQ&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11&ved=0CEYQ5wIwCg

Edited by cravnravn

I'm cooling off on this one now that Goodell has said other cold weather cities could get one.

Hotel accodmodations play a big part in getting the bid. They don't want more Jacksonville disasters.

matheson.jpg"I think Baltimore has that criteria met. We have the best stadium, tons of hotels, the Inner Harbor, a huge convention center ...the parking and transportation infrastructure is there...hookers galore for the media.. to tuck them in on a cold winters night. Baltimore should be a lock."

Edited by vmax

OMG, have you learnt nothing from your *** I'm stupid for thinking this game is easy *** predictions.

Baltimore will probably end up having a mini ice age next winter.

HAHAH good post!

I'm cooling off on this one now that Goodell has said other cold weather cities could get one.

Hotel accodmodations play a big part in getting the bid. They don't want more Jacksonville disasters.

matheson.jpg"I think Baltimore has that criteria met. We have the best stadium, tons of hotels, the Inner Harbor, a huge convention center ...the parking and transportation infrastructure is there...hookers galore for the media.. to tuck them in on a cold winters night. Baltimore should be a lock."

Baltimore definitely has potential for a Super Bowl in the future. Like you said, the harbor could be used for boats for further lodging. But I am not sure if development is completely there yet. If the Westport development can be completed as planned (and possibly a brand new soccer stadium would be there as well), that offer some more nice lodging. Sure, 1st Mariner is big, but it is really old. If Baltimore ever gets a new arena, which they probably will, that would help a Super Bowl bid as well. What we do have going for us is the MSA keeps our stadiums in great shape.

Dont forget the Super Bowl is not a 1 day event, its a week long event, we have the hotels, we have the restuarants, we have the harbor, thats a ton of revenue being spent in our city..They are hosting one in Indy next year, they have basically the same weather as we do, and what they call a city, we would call Patterson Park..Thats how small it is.I dont see how they can accomidate a week long festivous, not enough hotels.