ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gaither carted off

papasmurfbell

Guest BallTMore

WNST says apparent back injury.

Hopefully not serious.

I'm not normally gloom-and-doom, but I can't help but feel this season is going to be a let-down. The injury-bug seems to have headed to Baltimore. Find that bastard and kill it!

Early rumors are it's not too serious.

Wilson said Gaither reported in great shape, was happy, had fast footwork, was rotating on the left side..

We need this guy.

Pained by what was initially diagnosed by trainer Bill Tessendorf as cramps, coach John

Harbaugh said Sunday that the cause of Gaither’s absence has yet to be determined.

“I’d like to be able to tell you what it is,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t know. He’s getting bloodwork, and they say they’re going to do some tests on him on Monday, and they’ll tell us what it is. That’s all they’ve told me.”

Harbaugh said he wasn’t sure whether Gaither’s injury could be linked to his dramatic weight loss – he’s down to 311 pounds after playing at about 340 last season – during the offseason.

“He made a decision,” Harbaugh said. “He was working out on his own, so it’s not like he was around. He made the decision to go lighter. I can’t even explain to you why.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/cause_of_gaithers_absence_a_mystery_to_ravens.html

I'm not buying this. It's Harbaugh's job to know what the hell io going on and that's easy to do...real easy.

Gaither is an important part of the offense and he's been a 'Mystery Man" way too long. Gaithers line coach should know, Cam should know, Tessendorph should know and Gaither knows. All John has to do is ask.

I mean sure this must be a little troubling for Harbaugh that Gaither did this on his own however I don't see this as a big deal. Everyone knocked Gaither's work ethic and now he shows some kind of discipline by losing weight. He could have done it to ease his nagging injury pains, he could have done it to make a statement that he doesn't want to play RT, or he could have done it for his long term health. Right now I am taking a wait and see approach with Gaither. Gaither is in a contract year, he knows he has to play well to earn millions. He wouldn't put himself in a position where he would be pushed around on the field.

Is there more to this Gaither illness?

Additionally, in an attempt to address its depth at an offensive tackle position besieged by injuries, the team signed rookie free agent Devin Tyler. Tyler, 6 feet 7 and 308 pounds, played at Temple at Suitland High.

He started 39 of his 49 career games with the Owls, playing four years at offensive tackle after being switched from defensive end before the 2006 season.

When I arrived at camp Friday afternoon, the QBs were running a series of drills. Meanwhile, Gaither was being attended to by a trainer. Gaither was wincing while stretching his lower back. It didnt seem very serious (from an observer standing 30-40 yds away).

My personal take: I think there is something to this Gaither thing - more than what we are hearing. He is saying all the right stuff but his body language and actions dont match up.

Gaither just needs to get right, get back on the field with the rest of the O line. With the injuries to our D, our offense has to be clicking right out of the gates. Our O line - Gaither, Birk et al - needs to be healthy and cohesive right out of the gate.

Anything less will put tnis team in a tough spot, esp with the season opener (Jets) and divsion rival (Cincy) just about 6 weeks away.

Looking at this now I think he is pulling a Haynsworth. He dropped weight so he would not be able to play RT. He is making himself into a LT to push Oher. Being that he dropped so much weight the cramps make sense. His water weight must be very low.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. Gaither is no dummy despite how immature he acts. He knows the money is at LT, not RT.

Looking at this now I think he is pulling a Haynsworth. He dropped weight so he would not be able to play RT. He is making himself into a LT to push Oher. Being that he dropped so much weight the cramps make sense. His water weight must be very low.

Except that he wasn't trying to lose the weight.

Except that he wasn't trying to lose the weight.

If he wasnt trying to lose the weight, and lost 30 lbs, we'll then he better go make peace and tie up his affairs, caus he wont be here much longer.

Edited by cravnravn