ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What to do with Reed

vmax

I heard Wally Williams on the radio last night and he said the Ravens secondary looks better without Ed. His reasoning was that the corners can play confident and focused knowing the safeties will be in the right spot to protect them. Ed free lances too much and while that results in some big plays for Ed, it also gives up big plays in the Ravens secondary.

With the showing that Nakamura and Zibby have given this pre season, Hamlin as a very solid back up....the Ravens are not that desperate for Ed to return.

Plus...how effective can he be given the neck issue and hip replacement?

The Ravens will determine whether to place Ed Reed on the Reserve PUP (physically-unable-to-perform list) on Saturday after having "honest and open conversation" with the Pro Bowl safety on Monday, coach John Harbaugh said.

"He wants to come back, but he understands the situation, too," Harbaugh said. "Theres a lot more that goes into it. We have until Saturday to make a decision and Im sure well take until Saturday to figure that out."

Harbaugh, though, didn't rule out the scenario of Reed playing in the Sept. 13 opener at the New York Jets after sitting out the entire preseason.

"The determining factor is going to be whats best for his career long-term and whats best for him to play at the level hes accustomed to playing," Harbaugh said. "There is no way were going to rush him back. Hes probably the kind of guy who wants to come back as soon as he can. But hes also been in this thing long enough to understand that you got to do it the right way."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/decision_on_reeds_status_wont_come_until_saturday.html

There's a lot to debate on this issue.

For starters, Harbaugh sounds defensive and hesitant. He knows what he has currently as far as a healthy backfield. Reed hasn't practiced or taken 1 snap....or 1 hit. Reading between the lines it sounds like he's thinking "Do I go with what I know I have and can count on or do I risk the unknown by counting on the Ed Reed of yesteryear?"

Ed is one of the best safeties ever to play that position. He single-handedly can take over and turn games around. He's done that many times. He's an outstanding playmaker.

But wait a minute...Zibby and Nakamura have been making plays too...sacks, fumble recoveries, interceptions...

It's the discipline issue that flags me the most. The Ravens gave up some serious yardage to the big pass play last year when Ed was out of position (outside of the pass interference st6uff). Also his ability to tackle is a question mark. We saw his effective but unorthodox way of tackling last year...will it continue to work?

"We got us a Convoy!"

43558983.jpg

What do you think?

Edited by vmax

Guest BallTMore

The long pass McNabb threw two weeks ago was Ed Reed's fault. He was free-lancing on the sideline, and not doing his job!

If Ed is healthy, he should play. Enough with this BS that he hurts the team.

When Haruki and Zib (Two players I really like) start intercepting Manning and Brady then we'll talk about starting them over Reed.

I tend to agree with Max. Reed in his prime was a beast. He is as a HOFer. One of the best to play the game.

But what about now? With his neck impingement, hip problem, lack of contact the past several months and preseason, and his penchant for streetaballing it, maybe its time to transition now with Nak, Zib and Hamlin.

It takes time - weeks and months - to develop the right team chemistry. Maybe its time w/o Reed ? Its only a matter of time.

This topic will rear its head again soon with Ray Ray.

The only way I'd play Ed Reed is if he's 100%. If he's having any pain or issues they should PUP him and then reevaluate after 6 weeks. But if he is 100%, I'd have to play him even though Zbi and Haruki have played quite well.

I would walk away from Reed. I have had my reservations about him for a few yrs.

As for Ziby and Nak going against Manning or Brady, when was the last time a Ravens team with Read beat Manning? Ziby and Reed have the win against Brady but Brady has a bunch of wins against Reed.

oh, for years now you've had reservations about reed..... What reservations could you possibly have about Ed Reed? Easily the best player on our team. This guy up until last season played every game for 5 straight years. Give him a break. He has won more games for this team than our QB's have won for us in that last few years.

Your statement about beating brady and manning with and without reed is comical. Seriously, you know we only scored 3 points in the playoff game against the colts last year? I guess that was Reeds fault. Actually Ed Reed was busy that game, he was ntercepting Manning for the fourth time, probably more picks against him than any non-divisional DB in the league. He also intercepted Tom Brady in the blowout last year, terrible player. If the Ravens let Reed Walk he would have 31 job offers the first week.

But seriously, for years now, youve had reservations. Yeah he's not all that good. He hurts our team.

BALLTMORE I couldnt agree more with everything you said

• Upvote 1

I find it hard to believe that Reed's play is THAT undisciplined. Last year's pass d was atrocious for a number of reasons. #1 we had below average corners. Let's face it, Foxworth was way overvalued by the Ravens. Denver basically gave him away to Atlanta even though they had just lost a young corner in Darrent Williams. Atlanta, which is not exactly a defensive powerhouse then let him walk. So our brilliant plan last year was to have Fox be our shutdown corner along side a guy who was a former 1st round bust for the worst-run franchise in the NFL. That doesn't even sound good on paper. #2 We had no pash rush. #3 We got a few PI calls early and it snowballed into whistle-palloza over the majority of the season. Ed Reed had nothing to do with why we were so terrible last year.

Treat Zibby and Naka's play as a bonus. You can afford to not rush Reed back. If he's healthy however, you play him and you feel good about it.

I find it hard to believe that Reed's play is THAT undisciplined. Last year's pass d was atrocious for a number of reasons. #1 we had below average corners. Let's face it, Foxworth was way overvalued by the Ravens. Denver basically gave him away to Atlanta even though they had just lost a young corner in Darrent Williams. Atlanta, which is not exactly a defensive powerhouse then let him walk. So our brilliant plan last year was to have Fox be our shutdown corner along side a guy who was a former 1st round bust for the worst-run franchise in the NFL. That doesn't even sound good on paper. #2 We had no pash rush. #3 We got a few PI calls early and it snowballed into whistle-palloza over the majority of the season. Ed Reed had nothing to do with why we were so terrible last year.

Treat Zibby and Naka's play as a bonus. You can afford to not rush Reed back. If he's healthy however, you play him and you feel good about it.

The pass defense was hardly atrocious. We were eighth in the league and only had 32 sacks (tied for 18th in the league). Foxworth was not signed to be a shutdown corner, he was expected to be a solid #2 corner for us.

I love Ed Reed. There is not a better play maker in any secondary in the NFL. I also don't buy the freelancing tag either. What makes Ed Reed so great is he watches so much film and picks up on so many tendencies that he almost knows were to go before the QB.

That said, just like anyone who tries to read another person, he can get caught out with a bluff. Still, ask any QB and the first thing he does is look to find where Ed Reed has lined up. That is what elevates a player above his peers. When the offense has to account for you on any given play.

I remember reading a little tid bit from Carson Palmer when he was torching the Ravens through the air for a few games before his injuries. He talked about how you could bait Ed Reed, catch him out of position and complete passes on the Ravens because of it. I defintely believe that is true but I also believe that is the fault of the pass rush rather than of Ed Reed. If the QB doesn't have time to bait Ed Reed then Ed is going to make a hell of a lot of plays against you.

How many times have we seen a pressured QB get rid of the ball right into the hands of Ed? Without looking up all Ed's INTs and watching the replays I bet there is a direct correlation between the pressure and Ed's stats.

The performance of the secondary as a whole is the direct result of the pressure that the front 4 or 5 put on the QB. That is why the Ravens thought there was better value in taking a pass rusher over reaching for a CB in the last draft. Even though that pass rusher won't see the field I still liked the pick.

The pass D was pretty bad until Reed went down last yr. At that point Ziby took over. When he saw things got better with Ziby he played within the D at the end of the season.

So Ed has always been fantastic. I remember 2008 (the first yr we knew about his neck) where Ed was invisible out there until the end of the season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedEd00/gamelog/2008/

Date TD Pts Sk Int Yds TD

2008-12-28 0 0 0.0 2 44 0

2008-12-20 0 0 0.0 2 29 0

2008-12-14 0 0 1.0 0 0 0

2008-12-07 1 6 0.0 2 9 0

2008-11-30 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-11-23 1 6 0.0 2 150 1

2008-11-16 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-11-09 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-11-02 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-10-26 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-10-19 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-10-12 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-10-05 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-09-29 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2008-09-21 1 6 0.0 1 32 1

2008-09-07 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

So he played like a madman for 7 weeks or so. Last I knew the season was 16 weeks long. Since this neck problem has been a real problem Reed does not play right every week. At times he vanishes and others he isn't where he should be then suddenly he is a world beater. He needs to be more consistent.

Unlike some people I do not forget. I remember the screw ups. I watch the trend and Ed is on the down trend.