ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thoughts on the Pats Game

OutsideRzAcE

It's very disappointing to have given up that 10 point lead, but I gotta say, I feel this one is more on the offense than the D. After the Pats marched down the field to make it 20-17, Flacco turned into Checkdown Charlie. I mean, you can only put the game in your D's hands so many times before they're going to give up the score.

I thought there were some third and longs where we played it kind of coy and I was little disappointed in that. The Pat's seemed to take more chances as the game wore on while we became more conservative.

All in all, this is about as good as i've felt after a loss in some time. I'm excited about Ed's return next week (I hope)

Yea...this Checkdown Charlie stuff has to go.

Were the WR's unable to get open? Can't tell on TV. If they couldn't than good for Joe not forcing it and throwing INT's.

This was not a great defense that they played...I can't understand not making a bunch of intermediate completions...not with 4 solid weapons who can flood the field.

The running game helped in the 1st half but it sputtered when I thought they would take over late in the 3rd quarter.

Special Teams had a bad day because of costly penalties and Cundiffs out of bounds kick off. That gave good field position and life to the Pats.

Guest BallTMore

I agree, it has to stop.

But honestly, I think the check-downs were all we had. The Pats dropped 8. If one of our receivers can't get open than that has to be a design flaw.

The 3rd down pass to Heap was a good example. Two men near Heap, and one on Housh running the same direction. Boldin came open, but it looked like the play was designed to go to Heap since Joe threw it so quick.

I know this will be pointed out, probably by Preston. Boldin came open deep on one play in OT, but Joe was running left. He wanted to throw it, but his body was at an awkward angle, so he threw in out of bounds. Probably a smart play, but still frustrating.

Frankly I would just have Reed sit out the next 2 weeks.

They are only playing the Bills. :mask:

I'm luke warm on that. Ed can use a live action tune up....I think... play him if he's been 100% for the last two weeks or so. If not, than don't rush it.

But honestly, I think the check-downs were all we had. The Pats dropped 8. If one of our receivers can't get open than that has to be a design flaw.

That's what I saw too. Tons of Pats in coverage and ... ?? How did we not find a way to either run the ball on that scheme or, at the least, find some underneath passes to the wideouts??

I primarily blame the offensive play calling. I think we went into a predictable try 'not to lose' safe mode in the 4th and OT. We completely went away from things that worked in the first half to calls everyone could see coming a mile away.

A bit of blame has to be on Joe too. If his primary target is covered he looks for Ray Rice and that's it. If its an obvious passing down and Rice isn't on the field then Joe either forces it to the primary regardless of coverage, runs, or throws it away. I don't even think he looks at the other wide outs. Late in the game he had time and it appeared that he had open targets, but he either ran or threw that ill advised pass to a double covered Heap.

I don't blame the defense at all.

I agree with what you said mostly Spen, but I don't think that the pass was ill-advised to Heap. He was singled up on a corner (there was a safety over the top, but he would have been a step and a half late). Throwing a jump ball to Heap, when singled on a corner, is a matchup that normally favors the Ravens. I would have liked to see the throw been a fade stop and let the defender run by, or else the pass needed to be a bit deeper. Either of those things happens, Heap catches it and we're in or near field goal range and have a 1st and 10. As it was, the pass was slightly underthrown, and the shorter corner was able to get a hand on it. Joe has gotten better at looking to secondary targets, but its still an area he needs to improve. Its easy to forget that hes 1/3 of the way through his 3rd year (and also remember, he didn't exactly face the same kind of defenses in college that a D-1A QB would).

Personally, for me, the turning point was Mason dropping the slant at the goal line, followed by the piss poor KO from Cundiff. That swung the momentum for good.

I also would have liked to see us go for it on at least one of the 4th and 1s. I understand the reason for the call to punt and don't consider it a "bad" call per se, but I think we need to gamble a bit there.

This is a tough loss, but still, we're 4-2 and the hard part of our schedule is over. We should definitely beat Buffalo, Carolina, and Cleveland. We should probably beat Miami, TB, and Cincy (even though they've owned us recently). Atlanta is a good team, but they don't scare me at all. Houston will be tough with their offense, but we're a better team. Saints will be tough as well, but until today their offense did not look great. Pitt will be tough as always, but this games in Baltimore. I think we're still poised to make a run deep into the playoffs.