ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Injury update

vmax

The Ravens sustained injuries to three starters: left tackle Michael Oher (knee), fullback Le’Ron McClain (ankle) and safety Dawan Landry (concussion).

However, all three appear not be too serious and may not leave the Ravens short-handed next Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. When asked whether he thought he would be able to play next week against the Steelers, Oher said, “I should be good.”

Oher suffered a knee sprain on the Ravens’ first series of the second half. He went to the locker room and his return was ruled “probable,” but he did not come back and was replaced by Oniel Cousins.

Oher was relieved after the game and said he was in no pain while standing and talking to reporters. “While it was happening, I thought it could have been serious,” Oher said. “But, no, I’m good.”

McClain suffered an ankle injury while blocking during a kickoff return. Buccaneers linebacker Dekoda Watson rolled on the back of McClain’s legs. He did not return to the game and left the postgame locker room wearing a boot.

“Right now they’re saying day-to-day,” McClain said. “They don’t really know now. It’s good, I have my ankle taped up real good and got ice on it.”

McClain was also already wearing a stimulation machine. He told media that he had an X-ray at the stadium, which came up negative, but didn’t undergo a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam. “You’ll see me in treatment, 24/7,” McClain said. “I’ve got to get this thing right. I’ve got to play Sunday against Pittsburgh. That’s my main thing.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/11/Ravens_Sustain_Three_Key_Injuries.aspx

Sun is saying McClain's the most serious of the three. I heard Landry just got dizzy and could have come back in if needed.

Concussions are wierd...I've had them. Can't you tell? :)

You can be like Landry that day...smiling...seeming to function.."Oh it's just a headache"...and then 3 days later you realize you can't remember your phone number.

Guest BallTMore

They'll play, but obviously they won't be 100%. Not good news with Harrison and Woodley coming to town. Expect a ton of check downs to Rice and Mcgahee Sunday.

Maybe if Landry is out, Zibby will play and we wont give up a huge bomb to Wallace. :biggrin:

Hopefully we are healthy all around, but Oher is obviously the most important of the 3... offensive peneltys and all.

Either way... pittsburgh is going to get smacked down Sunday night.

Maybe if Landry is out, Zibby will play and we wont give up a huge bomb to Wallace. :biggrin:

Hopefully we are healthy all around, but Oher is obviously the most important of the 3... offensive peneltys and all.

Either way... pittsburgh is going to get smacked down Sunday night.

Yeah I honestly don't care if Landry is back if Zib is healthy this week, Zib is a damn good football player, we have missed him these last 4 weeks.

Max,

Maybe losing McLain for Steelers isnt as bad as most think. Maybe we can mix it up with McGahee and Rice which gives us more speed and quickness out of the backfield.

BTW - I'll be there in Section 111, top row, near jumbotron. I cant wait ! :yeah:

I'm in 115...maybe we can meet before the game.

I'm in 115...maybe we can meet before the game.

Sure. We (son and me) plan to get there around 5 or 6. Are you guys tailgating somewhere ? Maybe we can catch up there.

Note I'll be bringing my diehard Cowboy fan son who is still in mourning over the horrible season. He was easily recruited as a 12th man Raven fan since he hates the Steelers and is looking for a potential playoff team to latch onto.

I told him we'll gladly take him !!! :gorave:

Sure. We (son and me) plan to get there around 5 or 6. Are you guys tailgating somewhere ? Maybe we can catch up there.

Note I'll be bringing my diehard Cowboy fan son who is still in mourning over the horrible season. He was easily recruited as a 12th man Raven fan since he hates the Steelers and is looking for a potential playoff team to latch onto.

I told him we'll gladly take him !!! :gorave:

No tailgating but we can meet at the Unitas statue...I'll let you know what time on Sunday. I should be down there by 6:30. I woke crack any jokes about Mexico's team...I swear! :D

No tailgating but we can meet at the Unitas statue...I'll let you know what time on Sunday. I should be down there by 6:30. I woke crack any jokes about Mexico's team...I swear! :D

Sweet. I'll catch you there at 6:30. Are you still wearijg your "Max" jersey ?

I will be wearing 86 Heap jersey. Should be a snotnocker of a game !!

Not good news with Harrison and Woodley coming to town. Expect a ton of check downs to Rice and Mcgahee Sunday.

Booooo, those plays usually get us nowhere or in trouble against Pittsburgh; passes to wideouts in flats or quick outs would do better, they've not for some reason adjusted to those as well

Sweet. I'll catch you there at 6:30. Are you still wearijg your "Max" jersey ?

I will be wearing 86 Heap jersey. Should be a snotnocker of a game !!

Yea...I'll tell you the gear Sunday...can't make my mind up yet...depends on the weather.

Maybe losing McLain for Steelers isnt as bad as most think. Maybe we can mix it up with McGahee and Rice which gives us more speed and quickness out of the backfield.

I agree with this. Even though McClain has played at a Pro Bowl calibur level this season, we have been horrible in 3rd & short situations this season, so how exactly is McClain helping us? McClain has not been able to convert in short yardage and goal-line situations and most of Rice's long plays have come out of a single back or shotgun sets. It is not really McClain's fault as Birk and Chester are a liability when power running to the right side. The line simply does not get any push on that side. And while Yanda has played well at right tackle, he was a Pro Bowl-calibur player at right guard IMO.

The right side of the line last season was very tough and powerful with Yanda and Oher. As a whole, we were a balanced line that could run on anyone. This year that right side is much more finesse with Chester lined-up on the right next to Birk, and Yanda being undersized at tackle. If we want to run a power game, we have to run to the left side, which is way too predictable. We need a big, strong right tackle that would allow Yanda to move back to guard. Oher was that guy, but we obvioulsy need him at LT. The fact that we would be willing to sacrifice Pro Bowl play of Yanda at right guard to shift him to right tackle says a lot about what the coaching staff thinks of Oniel Cousins, eh?

My point is that maybe this forces Cam to get more creative on offense. With McClain in the game we are very predictable. We run Rice/McGahee to the left side, have that fullback trap to McClain, and then we have that throw-back screen to McClain. Without McClain, the Steelers are going to have to be more on their guard as to what we might do to compensate for McClain's loss. Maybe Ed Dickson gets more PT using his speed to create a mismatch on a linebacker. Maybe this means more Donte' Stallworth in four receiver sets.

I have never liked the idea of running a full backfield with a tight-end against that Steelers 3-4 defense. Their outside linebackers are too good at getting off of the ball and reading the play, they get too much of an advantage in pass rushing and it allows them to put simply too many people in the box. Teams that have had success against the Steelers have spread them out with four receiver sets making those OLBs spread out a little from the box, then countering the blitz with quick slants across the middle.

McClain is a big loss. It screws up personnel groupings. It screws up blocking assignments. The new guy they signed has a great deal to learn by Sunday.

My point is to have success against the Steelers don't use a fullback, spread them out. With our banged up line we weren't going to punch them in the mouth anyways. We had success throwing the ball against the Steelers last time. The Bills showed the Steelers secondary can be exploited for big plays. I would be surprised if the new fullback McKie is even used. Either way it will be really interesting to see how Cam constructs his gameplan this week without McClain.

It's not easy anyway, but harder keeping a similar running program without McClain, and better then to spread out and rely on quickness over power. The Oline is suspect and so can't be counted on for physical runblocking like Cleetz suggested so we need to just give Flacco the extra second to check down and flood the lanes. Rice can chipblock on passing; Joe has enough targets, just needs enough time to hit them.

Well some of those plays you are talking about McClain would would block a pass rusher and also get out for a pass. They have to make some pretty big changes to the offense if they go with no FB. It is not as easy as you are making it.

See, I think it is as easy as I make it. The only thing that is changing is the gameplan, there is no need to change the personel. These are sets and plays we already have. McClean isn't in the game on single-back four wide, or one tight-end three wide sets. He isn't in the game on empty backfield, five wide sets. McClain wasn't in the game on the Heap TD last week, he wasn't in the game on the TD drive ending with the Mason TD. All I am saying is that this is going to force us to utilize other packages we don't use as much. We could see more Stallworth or more Dickson. Sure, it might not work, but I think it will give us an advantage in that the Steelers will see plays we haven't run before and it will give us opportunities to exploit mismatches by getting more speed on the field with Stallworth and Dickson.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-notebook-1130-20101129,0,1007125.story

Coach John Harbaugh acknowledged Monday that a healthy and effective McClain fills a variety of roles.

"The fullback position's a lot of positions," Harbaugh said. "It's fullback, it's a wing, it's a balanced, two-by-two formation, it's trips, it's a movement position, and Le'Ron does all those things. Obviously, you do the things with the position that the guy does best."

Tight end Todd Heap said McClain's absence alters the offense's game plan.

"I think the biggest thing was, it changed up our personnel groups, and we don't run a lot of the same plays out of different personnel groups," Heap said after Sunday's win. "There's some plays that are similar, but the offense just changes completely without our fullback in there."

The coach and Todd Heap basically seem to think it is a pretty big deal.

That could be media speak to throw off opposition; really McClain hasn't been used enough this year to warrant that type of response. Pass-happier offense can spread their wings this weekend I think, and if Stallworth is ready it could be really cool. I'm more concerned on the D-side and whether we can run-blitz effectively, with DB/S combos. I think we need to make the Steelers one-dimensional with their passing game, and make Roethlisberger and co. force the hand to Ed & Co.