ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

All A's

vmax

It looks like the Ravens are getting A's for their draft from most of the media except for our good friend Mike Preston. :fishin:

A

Baltimore Ravens: Few teams scout the college ranks with more prescience, and last year's handover from Ozzie Newsome to current GM Eric DeCosta has been seamless. This seems like another enviable batch, DeCosta shoring up defensive shortcomings – so evident in the playoff loss to Tennessee – with LBs Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison and DL Justin Madubuike while supercharging what was an already record-setting offense with RB J.K. Dobbins and WR Devin Duvernay. Queen and Duvernay seem especially capable of making huge splashes as rookies, but keep an eye on Round 6 WR James Proche, like Duvernay, a 100-catch man in college.https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/04/25/nfl-draft-grades-2020-teams-packers-eagles-cowboys-dolphins/3026362001/

Baltimore Ravens

Draft picks: LSU LB Patrick Queen (No. 28 overall), Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins (No. 55), Texas A&M DT Justin Madubuike (No. 71), Texas WR Devin Duvernay (No. 92), Ohio State LB Malik Harrison (No. 98), Mississippi State OG Tyre Phillips (No. 106), Michigan OG Ben Bredeson (No. 143), Texas Tech DT Broderick Washington (No. 170), SMU WR James Proche (No. 201), Iowa S Geno Stone (No. 219)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Just another outstanding draft for GM Eric DeCosta, finding good value at every pick in the first three rounds and meeting most of the team's top needs. It wasn't surprising to see the Ravens pick Bredeson given how much they loved having another Big Ten guard for the past decade: Marshal Yanda from Iowa. Washington is an active nose tackle who will be effective in a rotation. Proche might be the steal of the draft, or it might be Stone. It's criminal that DeCosta is this good at drafting players..............http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111711/article/2020-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Winner: Ravens

It felt as though Baltimore was picking from a different pool than other teams. The Ravens kept firing daggers left and right. Linebacker Patrick Queen, running back J.K. Dobbins, defensive tackle Justin Madubuike, wide receiver Devin Duvernay, linebacker Malik Harrison, offensive guard Ben Bredeson, wide receiver James Proche and safety Geno Stone were all great value.

Offensive lineman Tyre Phillips and defensive tackle Broderick Washington were either a reach or reasonable value. Any team would be happy with that. No team found better value on a more consistent basis than the Ravens. Stop me if you've heard that before about Baltimore's drafting prowess.https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-cowboys-afc-north-dominate-while-the-patriots-nfc-north-falter/

BALTIMORE RAVENS

1 (28). Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
2 (55). J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State
3 (71). Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M
3 (92). Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas
3 (98). Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
3 (106). Tyre Phillips, G, Mississippi State
4 (143). Ben Bredeson, G, Michigan
5 (170). Broderick Washington Jr., DT, Texas Tech
6 (201). James Proche, WR, Southern Methodist
7 (219). Geno Stone, S, Iowa

The Ravens entered the draft with no starting-caliber linebackers on their roster. Now they found one who has the athleticism to play on passing downs. Problem solved. Or, at least, potentially solved. Patrick Queen only started one season at LSU and the Ravens have a complex matchup-zone scheme that requires middle-of-the-field players to make reads and adjustments on the fly. The Ravens are also a proudly physical team and some scouts don’t regard Queen as that style of player.

It’s an incredibly tall order for this particular linebacker to step in and contribute right away on a Super Bowl-ready team. But Queen is gifted, he improved noticeably over the course of 2019 and the Ravens have one of the best young assistant coaches in the league in linebackers coach Mike Macdonald. And because the Ravens so often play with dime personnel—meaning six defensive backs and just one linebacker—Macdonald can focus solely on Queen when he’s on the field in dime (which, this team hopes, will be on a majority of snaps).

It’s not out of the question that Baltimore will trot out two rookie linebackers on base downs in Week 1. Malik Harrison plays with more physicality than fellow rookie Queen but might not quite be an NFL cover linebacker.

Helping keep blockers off these two will be Justin Madubuike, though he’ll likely do so out of a backup role for at least the first few years. Baltimore is loaded along the D-line after acquiring ex-Bronco Derek Wolfe and ex-Jaguar Calais Campbell, but they needed more run-stuffing depth to pair with (and push) Justin Ellis.

On offense, the Ravens absolutely love incumbent veteran tailback Mark Ingram because he is a highly professional runner. He goes exactly where the play is designed to go, he gets there with just the right tempo and he consistently finishes with enough power and tenacity to muster an extra yard or two. When you have one of the best-designed ground games in football, that’s all you could want from a back. Almost certainly, the Ravens see J.K. Dobbins in a similar light as Ingram.

It’s a little surprising the Ravens did not address the wide receiver position earlier considering that their top target, Hollywood Brown, would be fantastic as a dynamic No. 2 option. As it stands, they don’t have a proven big-bodied X-receiver to align opposite Brown. Devin Duvernay will likely be lining up inside of Brown, as a slot weapon who possesses run-after-catch ability. It’s possible the plan is to let Willie Snead walk in free agency next year.

Grade: A-....https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/26/nfl-draft-2020-team-grades-picks-analysis

USATSI_13737435-640x476.jpg

I wasn't thrilled with the rb pick but understand it, disappointed with not get an edge rusher but that is how the draft shook out. Overall, very pleased with the choices and the potential this draft class holds. I would give it a B with the real chance of being an A++

Oh & they got a road grader in Phillips, if he can learn to pass block, they will have Yanda's replacement and a great offensive line

Based on value, I will give it an A. But based on need, only a B-. Really hard to say more because we don't really know how good Duvernay and a host of others really are. Highlight films always look good and then guys just disappear in training camp and pre-season games. We won't really know anything, obviously, until camp begins---whenever the hell that happens!

The biggest glaring hole on this team was addressed long term by drafting Queen and  Harrison.

Next was right guard, edge rusher, O line depth and D line depth. Check!

Bozeman, a 6th rounder, is a good example of what the Ravens can do with Bredeson and Phillips. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqFL6N3srbF_dSGjakn-E "No edge rusher pisses me off...but I get it."

D line depth and rotation:  Madabuike and Washington bring that along with players on the current roster. The D line will be good for this season....great, if only the Ravens had the edge rusher.

If Ingram goes down week 3 or 4, the show goes on. Mark and Lamar are what makes this offense fly. No Ingram and there are problems.

:bow: :gorave:

Too good to be true....yet it is.....

The Baltimore Ravens used the fifth-round pick acquired in a trade with the Minnesota Vikings for a backup kicker to bolster their defensive front with Texas Tech tackle Broderick Washington Jr.

Broderick Washington should help bolster Baltimore's defensive line. Texas Tech

Baltimore landed the No. 170 overall pick from the Vikings last summer in exchange for kicker Kaare Vedvik, who struggled in Minnesota’s preseason games and was cut three weeks later. This remains one of the most masterful moves by Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta.

Washington is known for his toughness and technique and can become a rotational player at defensive tackle with Brandon Williams.

"The Ravens love size," NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "They love getting guys who can bang inside and are very strong and stout. He's a point-of-attack player. And no one values stopping the run quite like the Baltimore Ravens."............https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/52109/ravens-fifth-round-nfl-draft-pick-saga-ends-in-defensive-line-help

1 hour ago, papasmurfbell said:

Mikepapovich said the guard is better than advertised.  His pass blocking skills are not that bad.  Just an FYI.

Both Phillips and Bredesen are good at run blocking, Phillips the more powerful. But they also struggle with pass blocking in different ways.

Phillips with speed rushes, and locating stunts amd blitzes. Bull rushers he handles well, it's mostly his foot work; not the quickest feet.

Bredesen is the opposite almost; he gets bull rushed easily, but he is pretty smart, he sees the stunts, blitzes coming to some extent, very well for a college player, coaching helped him. He too does not have the quickest of feet, but both players have the potential to be solid NFL guards with time.

I expect Phillips to really be the better player with his natural strength, he is a mauler.

3 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Both Phillips and Bredesen are good at run blocking, Phillips the more powerful. But they also struggle with pass blocking in different ways.

Phillips with speed rushes, and locating stunts amd blitzes. Bull rushers he handles well, it's mostly his foot work; not the quickest feet.

Bredesen is the opposite almost; he gets bull rushed easily, but he is pretty smart, he sees the stunts, blitzes coming to some extent, very well for a college player, coaching helped him. He too does not have the quickest of feet, but both players have the potential to be solid NFL guards with time.

I expect Phillips to really be the better player with his natural strength, he is a mauler.

As a Michigan fan I can tell you Bredeson has been Mr. Reliable for them. I know some of the physical negatives you read but this is a guy that even if he doesn't end up starting could be a solid depth guy. You don't start four years on the O-Line in the Big Ten and not have something to you. The Wolverines O-Line got a lot better the last two years especially in the run game and while they still could improve on pass blocking, Bredeson graded out as the best pass blocking O-Lineman according to PFF not on his team but in the country. The guy is no nonsense and all about football. The Ravens have always been good at drafting defensive lineman and Washington can learn from some good ones as can Daylon Mack. Mack will have some further competition. I love the Proche pick because he has experience and production not just potential. We have been craving speed and playmakers for a while and now the Ravens are addressing those areas in the last few years...at least a few people think Geno Stone is a steal. I would have to take a look at the numbers but he probably is better than Chuck Clark was coming out VA Tech. This just pushes to make that position that much better. Obviously Elliott has a lot of work to do...it truly is hard not to like this draft initially. Time will ultimately tell but this Ravens team definitely got better with likely 4-5 players who will contribute this year and if not right away.

This was his breakdown.

I am starting to look at film of the day 2 and 3 guys.  I just started.  But this is what I have found so far.

I watched Dobbins v Wisc.  I was not real impressed.  He had 2 monster runs but they were do to gigantic holes.  The small hole/crease plays he picked up very little.

On Justin Madubuike v Texas he was basically a non entity.  A few good plays.

So Devin Duvernay v OKST I was pretty impressed.  Not a great WR but in the slot he can do some stuff.  I think Texas didnt use him to his potential. I woud like to see him run crossing patterns like Steve Smith.

That is all I have at this point

The rookies can do better than this....

According to Pro Football Focus, Fluker allowed six sacks and committed seven penalties in 2019 and did not rank among the NFL’s top 40 guards. :scared:

......https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-sign-dj-fluker-20200428-fep77fpdfbd5vl6fql4hljyjkm-story.html

I'm not worried about guard. Our backup from last year will do well...he already did in the Pittsburgh game. Having a senior moment right now and forgot his name.

For Center, I see Skura making a comeback and if not we still have Mekari who played very well last season. 

This team is loaded.

9 hours ago, vmax said:

The rookies can do better than this....

Yeah...I don't like this move. I'd rather go with the draftees and Powers unless this guy really shows a different side if camp ever happens.