ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Geno Smith

tsylvester

Let's see what happens over the rest of this season. Right now there are too many unknowns in the equations.

Personally, I think we've got a shot getting to the SB this year if Roquan continues to play monster ball.

One thing I will say is that if, big if, we trade Lamar we'd better get rid of Roman too.

• 1 month later...

So, here we are at the end of the season, my, my, my.

Wilson, you know, the one who started it all with gobs of guaranteed money, 5 years, $245 mil, $165 guaranteed, & all of those drat picks. What has he done? Sucked, so bad that rumors are Denver is looking to cut him, but they can't, for at least one more year. So they fired a first year head coach...

We can go back to Stafford, who also cashed in, cost a lot of picks as well. At least he brought the Rams a trophy before sucking this year, injured, tons of injuries where they had no replacements because they had no draft picks.

Then of course is Watson, the root cause of every NFL team rethinking having a "franchise", "elite" quarterback, that maybe drafting, surrounding him with talent, run game, defense, in the five years of "cheap labor" maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle.

Watson, hardly fair to judge his crappy, pedestrian play, since he hasn't played in almost two years. But he too cost a ton of draft picks, set the mark for guaranteed contracts, a poison pill if you will. Yet he clearly has not lived up to it.

So the Rams, Broncos, Browns, are going to be hit hard next season by the contract escalations for their quarterbacks, meaning they will have a difficult time fielding star players at runningback, defensive end, wide receiver, corner, you know, the other staples.

Miami paid a boat load to their star wide reciver, lightening, one of the best. But they are still on the budget plan at qb with Tua, who is hurt, again. They also have another star wide out on budget contract, Waddle, who will want to be paid hmmm

Herbert finally made it to the playoffs, but on a budget contract. It should be interesting to see what he asks for this off season as he will be in the last year of his deal. Think Lamar is loved here, it pales to the way they live Justin out there.. He has been far better at passing than Lamar.

Jacksonville is also likely to make the playoffs with a budget qb, though they won't have to pony up with him for a few more years.

Interesting stuff, Lamar's injury,again, his erratic play this year, and desires for a contract, plus the lack of quality play from the players who "set a new level" for qb contracts could have other teams unwilling to give up true draft capital for Lamar, knowing he will want a cap strap contract and is prone to injury, erattic at passing.....

I get your points tsyl. Definately a lot of teams have been burned, yet there are still plenty of idiot owners dying for a winner and dying to put fannies in the seats. Lamar will do that everywhere. And there are a ton of GM's and HC's trying to keep their jobs as the Nick Foles of this world destroy their security. 

This should not be as hard for me to call considering how much Flacco's contract and performance hurt this team. Lamar's missing games now ... heading towards Tua territory. Locking him up for let's say 5 years means progressive team depth issues which they have already. 

Not signing him means the Ravens are at best a .500 team and could be that for a long time. He's carried them no matter what anybody says. So they have to franchise him for 1 more year if they can't come to an agreement. They need the draft capital. 

We'll be talking about this shit all off season ad nauseum. The rumors will fly. Fans of teams in half the league will spread rumors that Lamar is going to their team ... spread rumors on why he needs to leave Baltimore ... and fans here who are switching their love and loyalty .... this is going to get really ugly and trying.

6 hours ago, tsylvester said:

So, here we are at the end of the season, my, my, my.

Wilson, you know, the one who started it all with gobs of guaranteed money, 5 years, $245 mil, $165 guaranteed, & all of those drat picks. What has he done? Sucked, so bad that rumors are Denver is looking to cut him, but they can't, for at least one more year. So they fired a first year head coach...

We can go back to Stafford, who also cashed in, cost a lot of picks as well. At least he brought the Rams a trophy before sucking this year, injured, tons of injuries where they had no replacements because they had no draft picks.

Then of course is Watson, the root cause of every NFL team rethinking having a "franchise", "elite" quarterback, that maybe drafting, surrounding him with talent, run game, defense, in the five years of "cheap labor" maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle.

Watson, hardly fair to judge his crappy, pedestrian play, since he hasn't played in almost two years. But he too cost a ton of draft picks, set the mark for guaranteed contracts, a poison pill if you will. Yet he clearly has not lived up to it.

So the Rams, Broncos, Browns, are going to be hit hard next season by the contract escalations for their quarterbacks, meaning they will have a difficult time fielding star players at runningback, defensive end, wide receiver, corner, you know, the other staples.

Miami paid a boat load to their star wide reciver, lightening, one of the best. But they are still on the budget plan at qb with Tua, who is hurt, again. They also have another star wide out on budget contract, Waddle, who will want to be paid hmmm

Herbert finally made it to the playoffs, but on a budget contract. It should be interesting to see what he asks for this off season as he will be in the last year of his deal. Think Lamar is loved here, it pales to the way they live Justin out there.. He has been far better at passing than Lamar.

Jacksonville is also likely to make the playoffs with a budget qb, though they won't have to pony up with him for a few more years.

Interesting stuff, Lamar's injury,again, his erratic play this year, and desires for a contract, plus the lack of quality play from the players who "set a new level" for qb contracts could have other teams unwilling to give up true draft capital for Lamar, knowing he will want a cap strap contract and is prone to injury, erattic at passing.....

You forgot Rodgers in GB.  I saw a list of these QBs with the money they made and the results.  The average had to be 6 wins.  I think it goes to show just giving the money is a poor decision.

3 hours ago, vmax said:

I get your points tsyl. Definately a lot of teams have been burned, yet there are still plenty of idiot owners dying for a winner and dying to put fannies in the seats. Lamar will do that everywhere. And there are a ton of GM's and HC's trying to keep their jobs as the Nick Foles of this world destroy their security. 

This should not be as hard for me to call considering how much Flacco's contract and performance hurt this team. Lamar's missing games now ... heading towards Tua territory. Locking him up for let's say 5 years means progressive team depth issues which they have already. 

Not signing him means the Ravens are at best a .500 team and could be that for a long time. He's carried them no matter what anybody says. So they have to franchise him for 1 more year if they can't come to an agreement. They need the draft capital. 

We'll be talking about this shit all off season ad nauseum. The rumors will fly. Fans of teams in half the league will spread rumors that Lamar is going to their team ... spread rumors on why he needs to leave Baltimore ... and fans here who are switching their love and loyalty .... this is going to get really ugly and trying.

Wow you sound like an espn talking head.  Maybe you can sit in with Greeny and take Tenabaums spot.

3 hours ago, vmax said:

Max, Flacco's deal, contrary to popular opinion, did not hurt the Ravens cap, that was spewed by some in the local media, carried to the hit & click cloud media and is completely bogus my hairy friend.

The team chose not to build around Joe, they could have easily afforded some real talent on the offensive line to protect him, he is/was a pocket passer. But as we all know, aside from the left tackle position, it has always been the Ravens mantra that any other position on the line should be cheap and easy to replace. As usual, they were wrong, got Joe hurt, who still finished out the play with a deep pass, talk about gutsy, shredded knee still stand tall and pass.

Tyreke Hill is going to cost the Phins $31 million against the cap next year, ouch.

Not sure where I was going with that, such is my mind these days..

In any event, the league has to do something, their way of adjusting the cap every year is worse than how the Feds do the math for increasing Social Security... double ouch.

Quarterback contracts thanks to the aforementioned, wide outs, left tackles, rush ends, all going way up. What is worse, the players see baseball and basketball get these huge guaranteed contracts, fully mind you, and football elites, if you will, want that too..

Just came across this, the photo, not the article, not sure how to post photos on here from my phone.

But remember this hit Lamar took?

Thankfully he was not hurt, but this is the types of hits run first qbs take. It is the type of hit I think he, Lamar, wants to avoid, why he is so hesitant to scramble from the pocket this year, as well as him trying to be a pocket passer.

TribLIVE: First Call: Steelers' playoff chances shrink after MNF result; Ravens unclear on Lamar Jackson's health.
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-steelers-playoff-chances-shrink-after-mnf-result-ravens-unclear-on-lamar-jacksons-health/

7 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Max, Flacco's deal, contrary to popular opinion, did not hurt the Ravens cap, that was spewed by some in the local media, carried to the hit & click cloud media and is completely bogus my hairy friend.

The team chose not to build around Joe, they could have easily afforded some real talent on the offensive line to protect him, he is/was a pocket passer. But as we all know, aside from the left tackle position, it has always been the Ravens mantra that any other position on the line should be cheap and easy to replace. As usual, they were wrong, got Joe hurt, who still finished out the play with a deep pass, talk about gutsy, shredded knee still stand tall and pass.

Tyreke Hill is going to cost the Phins $31 million against the cap next year, ouch.

Not sure where I was going with that, such is my mind these days..

In any event, the league has to do something, their way of adjusting the cap every year is worse than how the Feds do the math for increasing Social Security... double ouch.

Quarterback contracts thanks to the aforementioned, wide outs, left tackles, rush ends, all going way up. What is worse, the players see baseball and basketball get these huge guaranteed contracts, fully mind you, and football elites, if you will, want that too..

3 concussions this season for Tua, I can see him walking away from the game, I can also see Lamar being traded to Miami, it's a known fact that he doesn't like the cold weather, his play vs Carolina showed that.

4 hours ago, cravnravn said:

3 concussions this season for Tua, I can see him walking away from the game, I can also see Lamar being traded to Miami, it's a known fact that he doesn't like the cold weather, his play vs Carolina showed that.

Yeah the Tua situation is strange. No clear sign that he had one, a day later he says he had symptoms. That is not unusual, delayed symptoms with concussions is common.

But 3 in one season, also common as most overlook their symptoms, or do not want to miss games, is still concerning. Not enough is known if once you start getting them, you are then more susceptible. As for his play, we saw the Packers give a blue print, if you will on how to stop him. A morphing zone taking away his first read.

Ive heard the rumor about Lamar and cold weather, his stats in cold games would seem to back that rumor up. Not sure the Miami connection is right though,

• 2 months later...

Man, I was stating this thread to discuss our back up qb Huntley, but now, Geno has blossomed, at least for a year he along with Carr, Marriotta,TanneyHill, Wentz, maybe even Ryan are or will be free agents, not too mention Baker. No trades needed..

If they trade Lamar, which one should they bring in, if any? We have seen what Huntley can & cannot do, even with a solid defense and running game.

I don't even think Coach Monken can turn Huntely into something more than a back up. In fact, I might have to move on from him. Good team player, 👏 but we can find anyone for that role..