ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Quick Thoughts on Game

vmax

1. Ravens have to tackle better.

2. They may not need to sign a receiver.

3. We're screwed if Oher gets injured...same for Flacco.

4. D could not get off the field on 3rd down. Pass coverage not there.

5. Major Riddle the Ravens face: Do you bring in a QB who has proven he can't win as a starter, to be ahead of Taylor on the depth chart?

5. Major Riddle the Ravens face: Do you bring in a QB who has proven he can't win as a starter, to be ahead of Taylor on the depth chart?

1-3 AGREED!!!!! We were always there but $h!t the bed tackling! I think our receiving has potential...and that's without seeing Q today. Tyrod stinks of Troy Smith and the O-Line penalties particularly from Cousins are angering.

The only warm and fuzzies I got were Carey Williams and Bernard Pollard.....and Pitta....Parmele looked good too but that was late in the game with who knows what on Iggles D.

Guest BallTMore

Receiver is still a concern for me. Smith didn't show up. Everyone seems to be impressed with Doss, but why? I'm asking seriously, what am I missing?

Some of the 3rd string WRs looked decent, but I can't get pumped about that anymore. I've seen too many Ron Johnson's and Demetrius Williams to allow that to happen.

Kruger looked fast. He is showing improvement.

Cody looked pretty good.

Webb still looks to be up and down in coverage.

Taylor did seem to calm down as the game went on. No doubt he can elude players with his speed.

1st game though. I'm glad football is back and we remained pretty healtly. :gorave:

Youigaddabeshiddingme, yes we do need a WR, BIG TIME, Joe scrambling to the right, Torrey Smith is 25 yards down field, covered I might add, and what does Smith do?? He breaks long!!!!!! Hes played football long enough to know when the QB is trouble you have to come back to him..

O-Line is sooooooo friggin horrid its not funny, and now I hear KC signed Gaither for chump change!! OMFG!!!!

About the pass coverage, yikes is all I can say, How many friggin 3rd downs did Vick convert against the starting D..5 of them I counted.

I think the word is out that the Ravens linebackers can't pass protect. The secondary was out of sync. So they couldn't get off the field and time of possesion was a lopsided 35 to 24. Can't win like that.

3 for 12 on 3rd down? Uh-uh.

Yea...Torrey Smith didn't show up.

The O line is the biggest worry. Hopefully it's just rust.

The fundamentals of blocking and tackling weren't there. That can be worked on.

The Ravens ran the ball well. 5.4 ypc.

But...I loved watching the 'Scrimage of the Unknowns' last night after 7 months of no football.

My take on game:

Good:

1. Pitta and Pollard looked good at TE & S

2. The running game looked allright.

3. The run D looked stout.

Bad:

1. The OL esp on pass blocking

2. WR corps

3. Pass D

Ugly:

1. Flacco running around.....again

2. Reed getting beat on that long pass ....Vick to Riley..embarrasing

3. Tyrod Taylor... he was a good college QB, college QB.

Its apparent Ozzie and the Biscuit underestimated the impact of the lockout and its implications on free agency and the CAP.

We let too many key guys walk, didnt sign, resign or rework the key guys efficiently to make the right moves at the right time.

Our FO needs to make a few moves - backup QB, legit & vet WR, another OL for depth.

Last nights performance, while pathetic, was not a measure of this team. They have 1 month to get it right and play Ravens ball.

:gorave:

Oh, and one more thing on Torry Smith, he stopped his route as soon as he made his cut that resulted in an INT for Tayrod Taylor..He must follow thru with the route..I hope to god thats not a sign of him being scared to go across the middle.

Hence the need to scarp up another legit WR besides Boldin (e.g. Evans). Hell, Ozzie, go out and get Housh and /or somebody who "gets it".

One thing to consider about last night: The Ravens kept a very vanilla look when the first team was out there. They did not blitz and pretty much ran exclusively out of an 21 personnel. The Eagles on the other hand brought multiple blitzes and had multiple receivers on the field against us. I was impressed with Kruger. He has gotten a lot better. He has a great motor and seems a lot more comfortable this year at OLB than he was at DE. It was also good to see Kindle out there. He put on good pressure and is quick to the ball. As a whole we got a lot of pressure on the QB. Which is pretty impressive considering we did not blitz.

One thought about the secondary. Could Jimmy Smith and Ladarius Webb be the next McAlister and Starks? They are a very similar pair talent wise and physically. McAlister was a rookie in 2000 when he was paired with Starks. We have seen Webb's potential from a great rookie year. Last year was shakey, but he was still playing on a bum knee. Another year recovered and Webb could have a breakout year. If Jimmy Smith is as good as advertised, we could have something special. Smith didn't play much yesterday, but he was very aggressive in the run game which was nice to see. Throw E-Reed in the Rod Woodson role and Bernard Pollard in the Kim Herring role and this secondary could be great.

As we saw last night, Carr can be a liability on the outside. He is an average starter, but a good nickel back, and that's where he should stay. Cary Williams also looked good, very long and athletic. I would like to see him get more PT in meaningfull situations. Foxworth could have some value as a #4 corner if he can get healthy. Zibby and Hakumura scare me as starters. Zibby can never seem to stay healthy and looks like a liability in coverage, and Hakumura is not a very good tackler, not sure if that would work as a strong safety. I loved what I saw out of Pollard. He looked like a bat out of hell on the blitz and he had that INT. He is a big guy too, could be a great compliment to E-Reed. The undrafted rookie from Hawaii, Silva, has had a solid training camp. I would like to see more PT for him. Seems like a playmaker. This secondary could end up being a strength for us. They are big, fast, and have guys with many different skill sets.

Receiver is still a concern for me. Smith didn't show up. Everyone seems to be impressed with Doss, but why? I'm asking seriously, what am I missing?

Doss has some of the best hands you'll ever see. He's also a fantastic kick returner. Just trust us on this one. He'll be a gem. :biggrin:

Guest BallTMore

Doss has some of the best hands you'll ever see. He's also a fantastic kick returner. Just trust us on this one. He'll be a gem. :biggrin:

OK! :gorave:

dossbelieve.jpg

My take on game:

Good:

1. Pitta and Pollard looked good at TE & S

2. The running game looked allright.

3. The run D looked stout.

Bad:

1. The OL esp on pass blocking

2. WR corps

3. Pass D

Ugly:

1. Flacco running around.....again

2. Reed getting beat on that long pass ....Vick to Riley..embarrasing

3. Tyrod Taylor... he was a good college QB, college QB.

Its apparent Ozzie and the Biscuit underestimated the impact of the lockout and its implications on free agency and the CAP.

We let too many key guys walk, didnt sign, resign or rework the key guys efficiently to make the right moves at the right time.

Our FO needs to make a few moves - backup QB, legit & vet WR, another OL for depth.

Last nights performance, while pathetic, was not a measure of this team. They have 1 month to get it right and play Ravens ball.

I agree with most of this. We picked up the WR in Evans, so that should help on that score but the O-line is terrible! I don't know if it was because he was playing at LT rather than RT, but Cousins didn't have a clue---it was hard to watch! And we need a veteran backup qb.

In short they need help on the O-line and a backup QB NOW!

I don't know what happened to our secondary but it stunk all night even when we got pressure (which happily was often). As Lombardi once yelled to his team: "What the hell is going on out there??!!!"

I agree with most of this. We picked up the WR in Evans, so that should help on that score but the O-line is terrible! I don't know if it was because he was playing at LT rather than RT, but Cousins didn't have a clue---it was hard to watch! And we need a veteran backup qb.

In short they need help on the O-line and a backup QB NOW!

I don't know what happened to our secondary but it stunk all night even when we got pressure (which happily was often). As Lombardi once yelled to his team: "What the hell is going on out there??!!!"

I didn't see Cousins at LT, i thought he played right tackle the whole game. Is it just me or did he get consistenly beat by not just the Eagles 1's, but also their 2's and 3's? He had about as bad a showing as you can have, he is definitely not the answer.

I didn't see Cousins at LT, i thought he played right tackle the whole game. Is it just me or did he get consistenly beat by not just the Eagles 1's, but also their 2's and 3's? He had about as bad a showing as you can have, he is definitely not the answer.

He started at RT then moved to LT after Jah Reid moved in with the subs. You're right: he was beaten by everybody. It was so bad it was hard to watch. Now to be honest, I don't know if he was doing a little better at RT when Oher was at LT. But I don't have that feeling of confidence with either one of them right now.

Don't worry!

It's OK.

Cousins wasn't trying to pass protect!

"I felt like I did some things pretty good," Cousins said. "I wanted to work on my hands. I've got heavy hands so I wanted to work on my technique with my hands. I thought my hands were overall better.

Next Friday night it might be the feet.

Then maybe the feet and hands for the 3rd pre season game.

Then maybe feet, hands and head.

We'll be fine.