ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft

tsylvester

The Ravens currently only have 5 picks in the upcoming draft. History tells us they are likely to trade down from the 20's spot in the first round to get more picks.

Now, not knowing what is going to happen with Lamar, sign, need to hit on as many draft picks to add depth and starters, cheaply, to afford his salary.

Or

Trade, get multiple picks, at least 2 in this year's draft.

Still, the Ravens are slated to have somewhere around $40 mil in cap space, more with cuts, less with Lamar and any free agents..

I've see a few mocks, hate them, used to love then, have the Ravens taking Bejob Robinson rb Texas with their first round pick.

If you know me, you know 1) never take a runningback in the first round, even their five years under a rookie deal is too much to pay. 2)There is no way they need a runningback in the first round, even if they somehow cut Gus, slated to make around $4mil next year, they still have JK on a rookie deal and his relief, a power back, can be had later in the draft or as an undrafted.

These same mocks have Quenton Jonston, wr TCU, a position not only in clearly need and one they openly said they would bolster, still on the board at the Ravens pick. He is arguably the best, highest ceiling wide out in the league. Size, speed, hands.. needs some help on route running, but hey...

So if the Ravens stay with just 5 picks, they will have to make them count now more than ever.

Sure, they need some help on this young, talented team, a corner to replace Peters, perhaps. A linebacker to replace Queen, maybe. A defensive tackle, o line help perhaps, but they do have some young talent at each of those positions that showed some promise the past two years.

The biggest need is at wide out, even if they keep Duv (incentives reached based on special teams play), and if Bateman comes back healthy and turns out. We know the Ravens history at drafting and developing wide outs, but doesn't mean you stop trying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

With that said, if they go runningback in the first, while it makes no difference to them, I will not watch them next year.  It would tell me that Eric is over his head, out of his mind....

Na, the writing is on the wall. This team is good qb play away from being in the game tomorrow, even a super bowl appearance.

Bowser is a big piece of the pass rush packages. JK,  a 1000 plus yard rusher with 10 total touchdowns capable. Both on the cheap.

You get rid of those two and yes, it sends a message to the team but not the one you want. Both players are highly liked on the team, spoke the truth in the fit of a tough loss. So get rid of them and this team only good qb play away from a few years of true Super Bowl contender is lost

They're not going to drop JK or Bowser unless they know Bowser spread the leaflets across the floor and we don't have any idea who did it. I have seen many times over the past few years where Marcus Peters was in Harbaugh's face on the sideline and not only was he still with the team last season, he got an extension a couple of years before that.

Plus Harbaugh's not the only vote that counts. We do have a GM and an owner.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023-nfl-mock-draft-las-vegas-raiders-are-all-in-on-anthony-richardson/

22) Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

The Baltimore Ravens use the 22nd overall selection of this 2023 NFL Mock Draft to give Lamar Jackson the WR weapon he so desperately deserves. Quentin Johnston is a 6’4″, 212-pound big-bodied pass catcher who also happens to have the athleticism to rip open a defense after the catch. Giving Jackson a three-level threat like Johnston should terrify the NFL.

86) Baltimore Ravens: Myles Brooks, CB, Louisiana Tech

At 6’2″, Myles Brooks boasts excellent size, and he plays the game with ludicrous explosion downfield and vertical athleticism at the catch point. The Louisiana Tech CB could be a long-term Marcus Peters replacement.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-colts-trade-will-levis-raiders-cj-stroud

23. BALTIMORE RAVENS: CB KELEE RINGO, GEORGIA

PFF Big Board Rank: 45

The Ravens love to invest in their secondary and draft players with big-time pedigrees. That’s why the selection of Ringo would make so much sense here. Marcus Peters appears to be on his last legs, and the Ravens need to add more depth at the position. Ringo's experience, combined with his size and athleticism, makes him a perfect fit in Baltimore. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023_1.php

1. NFL Team Logo for Ravens Baltimore Ravens: Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU LSU_logo.gif

The Ravens have really struggled offensively when Rashod Bateman has been out of the lineup. They need to find another viable receiver for Lamar Jackson.

Kayshon Boutte has gotten rave reviews for his speed and athleticism. He had a huge game versus Georgia at the end of the year. He initially said that he will be returning to LSU, but he then changed his mind and declared for the 2023 NFL Draft.

1. NFL Team Logo for Ravens Baltimore Ravens: Julian Brents, CB, Kansas State KansasState_logo.gif

The Ravens need to think about getting younger at cornerback.

Julian Brents is a 6-3 cornerback who is a hard tackler.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-bills-giants-land-wide-receivers-in-round-1

Anthony Richardson, QB

• School: Florida
  • Year: Sophomore (RS)

Head coach John Harbaugh said last week that the Ravens are committed to keeping Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. But if the two sides can't reach a long-term deal and the Ravens decide to start preparing for an alternate future at the position, the Florida standout could be an option despite his shortcomings as a passer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree a bit fat NO to Richardson.

I wonder if the Colts would be interested in a Lamar trade if it comes to that.

A lot of the other picks were interesting though I really want to see us go receiver as much as possible instead of a cornerback for the first round.

Peters has frequently looked out of control on the sidelines. We're lucky he didn't draw some penalties and that Harbs was patient with him.

Yeah Richardson is so far raw, what is his completion percentage, barely above 50?

A T Perry had a great first day of practice at the Bowl practice. Another big, fast wide out, over 2000 yards, 26 touchdowns the last two years at Wake.

I'm not sold on Boute, he disappears in games, doesn't always catch with his hands, and drops a lot of easy throws.

OK, traded away one of the best receivers in the game. Lost a few others during the game. Yet Mahomes still completed over 60% of his passes for over 300 yards, with 2 tds, no picks (1 fumble) and most importantly his team won.

So why do the Ravens need one of the best wide outs in the league?

I know, I am screaming for one to be drafted in the first round. But you know my stance, as my aon in law says, I will die on this mountain that the system is more important than the players in said system.

My final proof is the KC Cheifs are in the Super Bowl with 2 cast off possession receivers, 2 often injured average receivers and a great tight end.

• 1 month later...

The problem with Hooker, he gets lost in his head.

There was a stat his own coach realized, quite telling. When Hooker snaps the ball with 15 seconds or less on the playclock, he makes the most mistakes, picks, errant passes, his completion percentage drops drastically.

With more than 15 seconds on the play clock, he is amazing.

His entire career has been both amazing and head scratching. He has been the cause of many great comebacks and also the reason his team has lost big leads, heart breaking losses.

I'm not sure about him as a pro, may be the one, may take years to develop, may never develop

Jalen Carter is set to slip way down, from a sure fire top 5 to Likely the high 20's.

He was foolish, reckless, driving drunk, racing, that lead to the death of two his friends, speeds over 100 mph.

Frankly I was hoping the Ravens WOULD NOT, have a shot at drafting him, if he avoids jail.

Why? Because he takes more plays off than any defensive linemen I've seen in decades.

Yes, ive seen every one of his games, you know my love for UGA, and yes, he is incredibly strong, quick, powerful, pick an adjective. But he also tires easily, is only really good as a 2 down linemen. Nope, you won't hear the talking heads say that about him.

Sure, Kirby loves to rotate his lines repeatedly throughout the play series and game, to keep them fresh. But you will still see Carter take plays off. This latest news about him just makes it more clear to steer clear of him if he stays out of prison.

Don't get me wrong, at his age I did plenty of racing, even had an accident (ironically the guy who hit me while I was racing my buddy, wad the one who was drunk, totaled his 72 vet).... So I judge Jalen on the field not on the mistake. It was not his fault the girl was really drunk and didn't know how to race. She hit a curb going around a bend at 105, went through a pole, a tree and landed against a house. She just misjudged how much room to the curb, happens when you are not used to driving an suv and are drunk, twice the legal limit

11 hours ago, tsylvester said:

The problem with Hooker, he gets lost in his head.

There was a stat his own coach realized, quite telling. When Hooker snaps the ball with 15 seconds or less on the playclock, he makes the most mistakes, picks, errant passes, his completion percentage drops drastically.

With more than 15 seconds on the play clock, he is amazing.

His entire career has been both amazing and head scratching. He has been the cause of many great comebacks and also the reason his team has lost big leads, heart breaking losses.

I'm not sure about him as a pro, may be the one, may take years to develop, may never develop

I was thinking of him as a day 2 pick.  Maybe with the right coaching Hooker can be fixed mentally.  It was a flier more than anything else.

4 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Jalen Carter is set to slip way down, from a sure fire top 5 to Likely the high 20's.

He was foolish, reckless, driving drunk, racing, that lead to the death of two his friends, speeds over 100 mph.

Frankly I was hoping the Ravens WOULD NOT, have a shot at drafting him, if he avoids jail.

Why? Because he takes more plays off than any defensive linemen I've seen in decades.

Yes, ive seen every one of his games, you know my love for UGA, and yes, he is incredibly strong, quick, powerful, pick an adjective. But he also tires easily, is only really good as a 2 down linemen. Nope, you won't hear the talking heads say that about him.

Sure, Kirby loves to rotate his lines repeatedly throughout the play series and game, to keep them fresh. But you will still see Carter take plays off. This latest news about him just makes it more clear to steer clear of him if he stays out of prison.

Don't get me wrong, at his age I did plenty of racing, even had an accident (ironically the guy who hit me while I was racing my buddy, wad the one who was drunk, totaled his 72 vet).... So I judge Jalen on the field not on the mistake. It was not his fault the girl was really drunk and didn't know how to race. She hit a curb going around a bend at 105, went through a pole, a tree and landed against a house. She just misjudged how much room to the curb, happens when you are not used to driving an suv and are drunk, twice the legal limit

If the legal issues are not ironed out before the draft he could slide out of the 1st round altogether.  You would think he knew she was drunk so being a willing participant in racer her is really stupid.    

Just to back up my statement on Ohio St qbs in the NFL, and how yes, in this case, history should play a factor when it comes to Cj Stroud

A total of 15 quarterbacks have been selected in the common draft era starting with Rex Kern in 1971. Terrelle Pryor was a NFL supplemental draft pick in 2011.  

Six of those quarterbacks never took a snap in a regular-season game. Rex Kern, the quarterback of the 1968 national championship team, switched to defensive back. Here is a look at the quarterbacks from Ohio State and their career numbers in the NFL

Schlichter and Haskins are the bookend first-round picks, and both struggled with those high expectations. Tupa played punter for most of his career. Krenzel and Jones won national championships, and Smith won the Heisman Trophy, but they combined for 13 starts in the NFL

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/justin-fields-ohio-state-qbs-nfl-draft-history/hu5wl7fz7k8s17n9f3w5ioero

To finish it off

Eleven Ohio State quarterbacks have made it to the NFL with a combined 79-99-1 career records as starters. Nine of the eleven have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in their NFL careers