ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Who's Playing/Who's Not

oldno82

The Ravens announced today that Lamar is not going to play this Saturday. Also, Flowers, Zeitler, Beckham, Hamilton, Humphrey, Harrison, and Worley weren't at practice. Brandon Stephens and Ar'Darius Washington did practice. It personally don't expect Stanley or Moses to play but no official word on that. I think they'll rest anybody who has an injury as long as there is a replacement available.

Half of the playoff teams, that are locked in to a spot, are sitting their starting qbs and key players who may or may not be dinged.

Good move, I don't buy into the rust settling in, this isn't baseball nor basketball where you may lose your "eye" for the ball or hoop with time off.

The key is what they do in the days off, how do they spend their time?

I use to coach, several sports. Helped lead my softball team to back to back championship games.

We had the best team, there was a 2 week layoff between seasons end and the game. This was summer, the players late teens, 20 somethings mostly. I told them NOT to go swimming and to get plenty of fluids 10 out from the game.

Why? Swimming wipes you out. It is the best form of exercise there is, low impact but works every muscle group. Even just playing water games, NO!

What did they do? They went swimming, most every day, came out flat in the game, we got smoked.

2nd year? Some followed my advice, a few, my star shortstop one of them, went to a head banging concert and got injured in the mosh pit 2 days before the game, sprained his knee, could not play. We lost again.

So what these guys do in the time off is key, especially in football, hydrate, rest, do safe activities with family, NOT CRUISES, the sun, the waves, the sea sickness, lingers.

Not sure about this but I think it was implied by Stanley, or maybe it was Harbs, that there would be the usual practices. Perhaps they will rotate rest days for the first week or week and a half.

I think after 2019, Harbs will have them on track and they have their own leaders who've been there before exhorting them on.

They seem to be focussed, know that this year, they really have a chance to win it all. They have the talent, the health for the most part, while other teams, normally much better, have major issues.

I hope Harbs keeps them around, so they don't get tempted to do "team bonding" on cruises, which will take your legs away.

I agree. Harbs said yesterday it's not going to be like a pre-season game in that they have only so many players now that they can rest at a time. They will be fielding a pretty full lineup so that should keep them focussed. Patrick Queen, who has an injury to his shoulder, said he loves playing the Steelers, and he will be playing. Snoop, I think, will be motivated too. If our defense holds up, we just might be able to beat these guys without Lamar, Stanley, and a few others.

I'd be careful with our running backs and let Gordon handle most of the load. I'd sit Flowers as much as possible to allow him time to get over his calf injury. We might have to use some 3 TE sets.

Any word on if Andrews will be available in 2 more weeks? Likely has been super taking his place but it would be neat to see what Monken would do if he has both available.

I would not count on Andrews, tib fracture and ligament damage. I know, several players lately have  had this same injury and come back, but not quite at full strength.

Even if he did he would need a full game to get back in playing shape.

Likely has proven to not only he dependable, but a true weapon.

So bring Andrews back slowly, if at all, to maybe- be ready for the Super Bowl should they make it that far.

Yep...I was not suggesting they replace Likely with Andrews. Just speculating that having both on the field at the same time could be of value in a few situations. I actually think Likely has worked his way into perhaps being the starter for next year but that's a long way from now. And you're right about Andrews getting back into game shape as opposed to just 'being over' his injury.

Having depth is nice, isn't it?

Hurts got hurt, a finger, but that can linger, out for the rest of the game. Eagles also lost their top 2 receivers, at least, for the rest of today's game, which is currently them being blown out by the Giants at half.

Steelers got in by the skin of of their teeth..

Funny thing, the only playoff team that I don't want to face is Miami again. Not that the other teams would be easy games, they would not, but Miami just has so much damned speed, and they'd be coming in with a chip on their shoulder after the thrashing we gave them.

33 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

Funny thing, the only playoff team that I don't want to face is Miami again. Not that the other teams would be easy games, they would not, but Miami just has so much damned speed, and they'd be coming in with a chip on their shoulder after the thrashing we gave them.

I look at the Browns as the hard out.  

42 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

They haven't beaten a winning team AND, they can't play well in the cold.

The Bill's are the hot team, one that could give the Ravens trouble.

KC has a terrible offensive line, the Ravens edge rushers alone in VanNoy and Clowney should feast on their offensive tackles.

Cleveland, as Papa said, has a legit defense and a very good tightend who alway kills the Ravens.

But Joe is a statue, who is predictable, he will throw slants and when under pressure look to hit the tightend, exclusively. It why he is on pace to throw some 30 picks in a full season. They have built their  wins on blown coverages, wide open receivers and tight ends.

Frankly, all things being equal, if the Ravens play their game, nobody can beat them, no one scares me but the Ravens lack of focus.

4 loses, all winnable games, lost because of turnovers, drops, or as in the Pit game, that one doesn't count.

Harbs is having them practice this week, a regular week practice, good for him. This team is healthy, talented, deep, don't let anyone stand in their way

• Upvote 1

Yep, I agree that Harbs is doing the smart thing again, rested them up as much as possible Saturday then a normal practice week this week.

I had no idea Joe has thrown interceptions at that pace but he will be an easy target on the pass rush.

But we'll know for sure who we are playing after this coming weekend.

Meanwhile, looks like we're gonna lose both Monken and MacDonald to other teams after the playoffs. That along with 20 players having their contracts up after this season and there will be quite the change coming next year.

Hell, if we win it all, I'm thinking Harbs may retire. What else would he have to prove?

All I want is a win next weekend.  This year's team is different as I always feel like we can win where last year I was like, I hope we can squeak one out.

This team is running on all cylinders and its great to see.  All that is moot if we don't progress through the playoffs.

I absolutely want to see at least a couple of post-season wins. But, I have to add that watching the Ravens this year was great entertainment and this season was just what I wanted to see.

A Super Bowl would be the icing on the cake.

13 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

Only long runs in the playoffs are success.

For you, for me, if a season has been exciting, if they have won a lot of games, especially when I expect them to lose, now that is a successful season, such as this one.

2019 was a bit disappointing only because they played so well, only lost 1 game that season.

This year we saw a marked improvement in Lamar, in the offense, this without throwing far more.

This offense became one of the best in the league, top 5 I believe, in redzone offense.

Sure, I want to see the continued growth of Lamar, this team in the playoffs, win 1, 2 games, 3 games, but just as the season is over and the new one, the playoff season, starts, I won't consider this season a loss no matter what happens in the next few weeks.