ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Joe Flacco "Elite" Debate

OutsideRzAcE

To be honest, both of them make perfectly valid points on the subject. It is hard to judge Flacco because there has always been something holding back the passing game. Whether it be the play calling, WRs or the O-Line. Flacco has also shared some of that blame but he gets a pass on the criticism because he is still a very young QB.

What I saw on Sunday in the 2nd half of the Cardinals game is exactly how Flacco should be operating to get him into rhythm. Shotgun spread with some quick passes and some options deep in a hurry up format. Rice can be effective running out the shotgun because there is even more space for him to run in.

Once he has established a rhythm you then can afford to get into more I sets and run the ball and throw playaction passes especially if you have got the lead. It is a simple formula that the Ravens should ride until someone stops it (more than likely stopping it involves Cam wanting to do it his way)

To be honest, both of them make perfectly valid points on the subject. It is hard to judge Flacco because there has always been something holding back the passing game. Whether it be the play calling, WRs or the O-Line. Flacco has also shared some of that blame but he gets a pass on the criticism because he is still a very young QB.

What I saw on Sunday in the 2nd half of the Cardinals game is exactly how Flacco should be operating to get him into rhythm. Shotgun spread with some quick passes and some options deep in a hurry up format. Rice can be effective running out the shotgun because there is even more space for him to run in.

Once he has established a rhythm you then can afford to get into more I sets and run the ball and throw playaction passes especially if you have got the lead. It is a simple formula that the Ravens should ride until someone stops it (more than likely stopping it involves Cam wanting to do it his way)

I couldn't agree more. Part of what makes coaches great is assessing their players' capabilities and then designing situations that maximize their strengths. Flacco seems to love the run and gun style format. Give it to him! Let him do what he's good at. He still needs to work on all aspects of his game, but the majority of play calls should be to Flacco's strengths.

I don't think Joe will ever be Elite but that doesn't mean the Ravens can't get to and win a Super Bowl with him.

They have done nothing but win with him at Quarterback so he's just fine.

He's having an off year this year. Having a poor O line and only 1 vet receiver will do that to a QB. He was the 7th ranked QB last year. That's close to Elite.

Joe's a tough dude. No fear. He doesn't bitch...he plays hurt without the drama like that Diva in Pittsburgh.

Win Sunday night and he takes a step toward Elite.

Play well in the playoffs and that's a big step.

Win the Super Bowl???

When he plays through a broken nose and foot and wins let me know. When he gets hit as much as ben let me know.

You mean Jen?

BTW..Jen was horrific in "his 1st Super Bowl win". The team won inspite of him...well...with some big help from the Refs too.

When he plays through a broken nose and foot and wins let me know. When he gets hit as much as ben let me know.

Joes rookie year, and heres the difference, nobody knew of his hip flexor he rec'd during the Vikings game, it was never divulged til the off season..Where as as soon as the Steelers lost the SB, Jen has a broken foot..Its nice having that built in excuse card in the hip pocket, isn't it??

2010_1115Pittsburgh0084.JPG

Unfortunately Ben will not QB past 32 with much success. He's the new McNair. That's 3 years left. Pitt should be thinking about a replacement, cuz no matter how tough you are injuries and age ALWAYS catch up. Let's not through Favre in this mess, he did not sustain the injuries that Jen and McNair have.

They're both incredibly tough, I'll give you that, but playing through and sustaining those types of injuries take their toll on the human body. Take that to the bank. We know what McNair was like after 32. He did have one great year here, but he was just too beat up to finish what he started.

McNair looked great at Jens age too. I'm not praying that he's done early at all, just stating a fact that is the most likely scenario. I'd rather compete against the great rivalries that stomp on a bunch of rookies or vets that can't play. Just making an honest assessment, if he keeps taking the hits and same type injuries his career will end before it would otherwise. Concussions start to become an issue as men get older in the NFL. Especially QBs. If he's smart, (which I don't think he is because of the rape crap, motorcycle accident, etc) he would develop his game so as he doesn't have to hold the ball as long as he does. I'd rather he did mind you cuz I want the Ravens to compete against em every year!