ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Chargers Week

vmax

The best thing for the Ravens going into San Diego is that they are guaranteed a playoff spot with a win.

No more motivation needed.

1st seed or 5th seed? They know what's at stake.

Are the Chargers truely on a roll and back in the hunt as legit contenders? Losses to the Jets, Chiefs, Packers, Oakland, Chicago and Denver, followed by wins over the Jags and Bills tells me that they are not.

A ton of AFC fans are hoping the Ravens stumble here.

I like having a game like this to challenge the Ravens because the playoff teams will be comming at them with everything at their highest level They need to play teams stronger than the Colts and Browns to get playoff ready.

It's good pressure. Pressure on Joe and the offense to get in gear quick....jump out to a lead so the D can ruin Rivers day.

Maybe Ray and Carr come back to tune up for the playoffs. If Webb is healthy and can play, then Pagano can throw the Full Monty at them.

49ers_Ravens_Football_96262_team.jpg

Tell me I not celebrating Christmas Eve with the Browns...

Unleash McPhee, Kruger, Redding, and...that other guy! (In my best Deon voice "Sihhzzlle"

The Chargers look good. I see your point about them being impressive against two lousy teams the past two weeks, but I think the fact that this will be on Sunday night means we'll get thier best effort. If Denver (v Pats) and Oakland (v Lions) lose then watch out because a SD win puts them one game out with 2 to go (one against Oakland).

I think we'll be up to the challenge. Rivers will put the ball up for grabs to Vincent Jackson and Gates and it's up to our DB's to make plays instead of falling over when the ball is in the air. (looking at you Cary)

Max,

It was good catching up with you at Sundays Indy game. Speaking of which, now that that the vacation is over, we have a very tough game Sunday night. SD's offense is absolutely loaded - Rivers, Gates, Jackson, Floyd, Mathews, Tolbert...............- contrast with last Sunday's opponent. And Rivers is now playing out of his mind. :cryin: !

With Webb and Ray out, we cannot and I repeat CANNOT afford a slow start from Joe, Rice & Co - 3 and outs, TOs, etc. Our Offense needs to pound the ball - Rice needs a huge game - and the O needs to consistently move the chains all night and try and keep Rivers off the field. We cannot play catch up against that team - not there, not now.

This game determines our fate in the playoffs - win and we have a good shoot at hosting playoff game; lose and ..... ?

:gorave:

OMG how are people not pissed about this! Turf toe never heals in three weeks. This is devastating. He won't be 100% until next year if ever.

That's frustrating, hopefully he can somehow manage the pain enough to make a push through the playoffs. What a hit.

I find it funny how the reports on turf toe are always three weeks but it's never just three weeks. Similar to high ankle sprains being anything less than 6 weeks.

Yag,

Webbs out - what are we to do ? Next man up, what else. Look, Steelers are w/o Harrison, probably w/o Ben and/or Pouncey, Woodley (?) vs SF.

It is what it is.

Besides, here's Jimmy Smith's chance to grow up at CB against arguably the AFCs best receiving corps and top five QB. We'll just have to amp up our pass rush and

everyone on D has to have a Suggs-like game. Got to have an ultra effective ground n pound game and keep Rivers off the dang field. Joe is going to have to have a near perfect game.

:gorave:

Just because it's a toe injury doesn't mean it's turf toe. Webb was on the radio last night and said it's just a little sore.

Yea...he's the best corner but the size of Smith and Williams will help against the Charters big guys.

I'm not throwing in the towell on this game. The Chargers are not a better team. Not even close.

The Curse of Gaither...

This season, San Diego opened 4-1 but then lost six straight before back-to-back convincing wins over Jacksonville and Buffalo. Granted, those teams aren’t the Packers, but those wins have given the Chargers a renewed sense of confidence. It has also given their faint playoff hopes new life, moving Sunday night’s game into the must-win category.

So what’s been the difference this time? Turner said on Monday that one key has been the offensive line, including the addition of former Ravens (and Maryland) offensive tackle Jared Gaither. He was signed by the Chargers on Nov. 30, a day after being waived by Kansas City. Right guard Louis Vasquez (ankle) and left guard Tyronne Green (hand) have also been back in action the past two weeks after missing two games with injuries.

Solidifying the line, Turner said, “has had an impact. It’s had an impact on Philip (Rivers), it’s had an impact on (running back) Ryan Mathews, it’s had an impact on our defense.”

Rivers looked awful at times early in the season, throwing 17 interceptions in the first 10 games. But over the past three games, he has completed 67.0 percent of his passes (65-97) with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/football-baltimore-ravens/news/chargers-play-best-in-december?blockID=611822&feedID=6703

Just one more piece of evidence that it all starts and stops with the line.

The Chargers are going to pick on him....

The Ravens are just as glad, and that's especially true this week as Smith is a virtual lock to start in place of an injured Lardarius Webb. Even if Webb's turf toe were to miraculously recover by Sunday — unlikely considering he's been in a walking boot all week and hasn't practiced — the Ravens will still rely heavily on Smith as they try to slow down a potent San Diego Chargers passing attack. Games like this, where Baltimore has to cover a pair of tall, fast, athletic wide receivers in Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, are the reason the Ravens decided to roll the dice and draft the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Smith. No one has ever questioned his talent.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-1216-20111215,0,6892672.story

It's a nice article on Smith. He's had none of those "character issues" and is developing into a solid player.

They'll go after Williams too. I hope Carr can play nickle.

Ravens_Browns_Football_97213_team.jpg

The Chargers are going to pick on him....

It's a nice article on Smith. He's had none of those "character issues" and is developing into a solid player.

They'll go after Williams too. I hope Carr can play nickle.

Ravens_Browns_Football_97213_team.jpg

The thing about those supposed character issues.....they all happened early in his college years. He had zero issues his Junior and Senior years, the years in which he could have caused the most trouble. (more notoriety etc) This kid is gonna be special. Maybe Jimmy and Webb will make everyone stop talking about Revis and Cromartie.

We've got one hell'va game tonight.

The Ravens are bringing their best....the best that they are as a team so far this year.

The Chargers will bring their best.

Everythings on the line.

Two powerful locomotives barrelling down the track right at each other.

It's going to be one huge collision.

oldspiceraylewis1.png

Now I'm not saying the Chargers are the Packers, but it's a preview of how the Ravens could look against the Pack in the Super Bowl. There's some simularities when Rivers is on and hot.

Not that I'm stretching it or getting way ahead of things.... :gorave: