ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Clayton reports

cravnravn

Rex Ryan did that in his first two seasons. With fewer than 4 hall of famers on defense. Losing in the AFC championship twice in four years is an accomplishment to you?

\

if it's not to you.... I have nothing else to say. and for the record.. it was an accomplishment for Rex too

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

\

if it's not to you.... I have nothing else to say. and for the record.. it was an accomplishment for Rex too

I wonder how Ray would feel about this. You may be happy watching the steelers and patriots hoist the Lombardi every year - I, and the Ravens franchise, are not.

You must be comparing us to the lower-level franchises who don't have hall of famers playing on their defenses.

I wonder how Ray would feel about this. You may be happy watching the steelers and patriots hoist the Lombardi every year - I, and the Ravens franchise, are not.

You must be comparing us to the lower-level franchises who don't have hall of famers playing on their defenses.

yes we have 2 hall of famers on defense. who haven't been playing at a hall of fame level in about 3 years. we have a great team. but unfortunatly... some great teams don't win it all. it doesn't mean the season was "waisted". It was a very good year and if Lee catches the ball.. it could've been a great year. I don't see any way someone can say Harbs is waisting talent

When Harbaugh got this team it was junk as well. A rookie QB, not a QB with 4 yrs under his belt was Harbaughs reward. There was plenty of uncertainty on this team. Every coach in this league can be second guessed. Harbaugh has success, end of story. There's absolutely no reason to doubt him until he starts losing. Period.

I think Jim should get coach of the year. He deserves it.

Listening to Jim was like listening to John. He said the same things.

If you look at both of them, they are a carbon copy of philosophies on how to win games:

Be the most physical team.

Run the ball. Play great defense (both D's loaded with talent).

Win field position. Avoid turnovers.

Make turnovers. Attack.

Win time of possession.

They both preach "Get Better" at every press conference.

It's spooky. Probably from the old man. Very sound philosophies.

Future? Well, both HC's have a few great teams they have to face in the playoffs every year. I see the 49'ers as a playoff team for a good while. Same for the Ravens but it will never be easy playing in the North.

Now...let's watch how both do. I think Jim, because of his abrasive and confrontational personality, will lose his team before John does. People do complain about his ego.

We'll see.

Jim isn't making bad clock mang and challenge mistakes. That I think might come from Andy in Philthy.

There's absolutely no reason to doubt him until he starts losing. Period.

He just lost, for the fourth year in a row, and contributed to it with a critical error. Winners in life make adjustments BEFORE everything falls apart. You don't purchase stock after it declines.

Ask Jason Garrett how calling a timeout on your own kicker works out for you every time.

All decisions can be 2nd guessed after they have been made.

However, I'm going to call him out on retaining Cam Cameron. That decision is a bad one before any results have even occurred. It stinks of throwing the same solution at the same problems and expecting different results. That is poor management and will get John fired.

I'm sure that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are thrilled with this decision. If the Ravens start losing and it's because of the offense expect to see John lose the team because it was his decision to retain Cam.

Rex Ryan did that in his first two seasons. With fewer than 4 hall of famers on defense. Losing in the AFC championship twice in four years is an accomplishment to you?

It took Cowher 13 seasons to win a Super Bowl. I'm sure that no one considers him a failure. It took Dick Vermeil 8 seasons and a 15 year layoff from HC'ing to secure his title. I'm sure nobody considers him a failure.

Marty Schottenheimer , Dan Reeves, and Andy Reid have never won the big one. They're not failures either. The fact is, a coach very rarely just walks in and starts winning the big game. It takes determination and hard work. It takes discipline and commitment, often times over many years. Simply not going to the Super Bowl or not winning the Super Bowl is not judgement of whether a person is a success or not.

Yes getting to the championship game twice in four years is a success. Of course the coaching staff wants more, but that doesn't mean it's not a success. If they stood pat and didn't change to try and get over the hump, I would understand being critical. However, clearly, each year Harbaugh has made changes and has attempted to improve and adapt to get this team over the hump.

Jason Garrett called the timeout right before the kick, which is icing, and that was a 49 yarder. Calling a timeout when your kicker is rushing on a 32 yarder is much different. 49 yarders are a lot harder to make anyway - 32 should be auto except when there is a rush and confusion.

Also, Rex has completely lost his team and locker room and missed the playoffs in his third season. I also think that Rex is going to find it tough to tread water because of some of his decisions.

That has never happened while John Harbaugh ha s been coach of the Ravens.

Rex doesn't have two of the greatest leaders in the history of football in his locker room. How can this be overlooked.

It took Billick 9 years just to make the playoffs 4 times. It took Harbaugh 4.

Harbaugh lost his last game of the year like 11 head coaches that make the playoffs. 20 other head coaches don't even get to play for the right to lose their last game of the season. A head coach that has made the playoffs 4 years in a row, won a playoff game each year, and made 2 AFC championship games is definitely doing something right.

Patience is key here. It's going to happen, he's doing things right. He's the only coach in the NFL to go their 4 years in a row. Harbaugh can't catch the pass for Evans.

Rex doesn't have two of the greatest leaders in the history of football in his locker room. How can this be overlooked.

How can it be overlooked that Harbaugh inherited a losing team with a rookie QB? What I'm getting at is that both Harbaugh and Rex have been successful. However Harbaugh has avoided some pitfalls that Rex did not see coming. That takes skill, it's done on accident.

How can it be overlooked that Harbaugh inherited a losing team with a rookie QB? What I'm getting at is that both Harbaugh and Rex have been successful. However Harbaugh has avoided some pitfalls that Rex did not see coming. That takes skill, it's done on accident.

That team Harbaugh took over was NOT a losing team...they had just been 13-3 in 2006, holding Peyton Manning's Super Bowl team to ZERO touchdowns in the second round of the playoffs. The 5-11 season that came in 2007 was an anomaly based on us basically losing ALL of our cornerbacks to injury, and having McNair go down, Boller being horrible, and Troy Smith ending up as a starter by the end of the year. Even the Steelers have had injury-plagued seasons over the last decade, but the foundation of the team remains intact.

I predicted BEFORE the 2008 season that we would be one of the best teams in the NFL, with all of our starters back, even with TROY SMITH (or Flacco) at quarterback. That had NOTHING to do with Harbaugh and EVERYTHING to do with how stacked we still were despite the previous year.

Mike Smith also had a rookie QB go to the playoffs that year. Unfortunately for him, his team wasn't stacked like ours. Since then, so have Mark Sanchez and Andy Dalton. And even those rookie QB's didn't have as stacked of rosters as we did when the rookie took over. Flacco had Mason, Heap, and Rice as security blankets, and one of the top defenses. There was no way that team wasn't making the playoffs.

How many teams have gone to the playffs four years in a row? One. That's not because Harbaugh doesnt know what he's doing.

Billick didnt do that.

Belichek didnt do that with Brady.

Green Bay didnt do that.

Not Reid, not Coughlin, not Tomlin, not Marv, not Kubiak, not Shanahan, and the list goes on and on.

I'd also like to point out that Ray Lewis himself couldnt even will this team to more than two playoff appearances in row until.......Harbaugh arrived. So lets not pretend that what Harbaugh has done is easy or is the result of what was already established. Nobody thought this team was much good when Harbs got it. It was a good defensive football with no offense. Since Harbs has arrived this team has been more balaned than ever. Harbaigh is the real deal.

How many teams have gone to the playffs four years in a row? One. That's not because Harbaugh doesnt know what he's doing.

Billick didnt do that.

Belichek didnt do that with Brady.

Green Bay didnt do that.

Not Reid, not Coughlin, not Tomlin, not Marv, not Kubiak, not Shanahan, and the list goes on and on.

I'd also like to point out that Ray Lewis himself couldnt even will this team to more than two playoff appearances in row until.......Harbaugh arrived. So lets not pretend that what Harbaugh has done is easy or is the result of what was already established. Nobody thought this team was much good when Harbs got it. It was a good defensive football with no offense. Since Harbs has arrived this team has been more balaned than ever. Harbaigh is the real deal.

wedding_crashers.jpg

I think Harbaugh is a good HC. One thing I think he does extremely well is getting rid of disruptive influences whether it be players, coaches or fans...

However, he also strikes me as someone who will always be limited by his OC and DC. So far, to me, he has gotten this wrong more often than he has gotten it right.

Cameron and Mattison are/were terrible fits. Pagano was a good fit. Peas is yet to be determined.

I think Harbaugh is a good HC. One thing I think he does extremely well is getting rid of disruptive influences whether it be players, coaches or fans...

However, he also strikes me as someone who will always be limited by his OC and DC. So far, to me, he has gotten this wrong more often than he has gotten it right.

Cameron and Mattison are/were terrible fits. Pagano was a good fit. Peas is yet to be determined.

I agree with this post, especially the part about Harbaugh being limited by his coordinators. Basically what I've been saying. I like the idea that a head coach could actually improve a given aspect of the team, the way Belichick does with the defense and gameplanning.

The ONE thing I will say positive about Harbaugh is that he seems to be able to, at least sometimes, get us to play disciplined football, meaning few penalties. (I may be basing this too much on the zero-penalty Houston game, but it does seem like the penalty-laden Billick days have improved.)

And I would expound even more upon this "disciplined football" point if we didn't lose four games this season to non-winning teams. Otherwise I would wax poetic on his ability to prepare us for "the big game". Instead, I'm not really sure what to make of all of that.

I like the idea that a head coach could actually improve a given aspect of the team, the way Belichick does with the defense and gameplanning.

LMAO, that defense was one of the worst in the league. I think the Media fawning over Bellicheat has got to you on that one. If it wasn't for Brady that team wouldn't make the playoffs.

LMAO, that defense was one of the worst in the league. I think the Media fawning over Bellicheat has got to you on that one. If it wasn't for Brady that team wouldn't make the playoffs.

I was referring more to the past decade. The Pats are pretty thin on D this year, but they also somehow got away with putting receivers at cornerback against us and we still didn't exploit it.

I was referring more to the past decade. The Pats are pretty thin on D this year, but they also somehow got away with putting receivers at cornerback against us and we still didn't exploit it.

Seems Belicheks defense also had trouble putting the lid on an undefeated season against an inferior Giants team. The fact is a coach cant tackle or catch for a player.

Also, we did exploit the match-up and Boldin had a huge gain. Joe then threw a perfect TD pass that was dropped. Just like samuel dropped the game sealing INT.

The same as Belichek cannot be faulted for the SB loss, Harbaugh cannot be faulted for the championship game loss. Sometimes bad breaks happen. It's football.

Seems Belicheks defense also had trouble putting the lid on an undefeated season against an inferior Giants team. The fact is a coach cant tackle or catch for a player.

Also, we did exploit the match-up and Boldin had a huge gain. Joe then threw a perfect TD pass that was dropped. Just like samuel dropped the game sealing INT.

The same as Belichek cannot be faulted for the SB loss, Harbaugh cannot be faulted for the championship game loss. Sometimes bad breaks happen. It's football.

In that super bowl, the giants had scored 10 points going into the final minute, and it took the luckiest catch of all time (helmet catch) for them to even have a chance to score 17, which STILL isn't a lot. I don't get your point here.

Belichick in no way lost that game, whereas Harbaugh rushed Cundiff onto the field to kick a huge field goal when he had a timeout to use.

And boldin should have had 200 yds and 3 td with a 5'9 receiver covering him, not one big catch