ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

High School Coach Fired After 100-0 Game

cokedupwerewolf

The problem is that that happens all the time in girls' basketball.

*sigh*

I know what you are trying to imply. What do you call happens all the time? Please list all of the scores from this past basketball season that this has happened. In my 20+ years of basketball, I have yet to see anything like that. While you may think that girls basketball is some kind of creampuff league of silly, little girls trying to play a man's game, I can assure you that "the problem," as you see it does not happen "all the time." So, since you said it does, I'd like to see the numbers.

*sigh*

I know what you are trying to imply. What do you call happens all the time? Please list all of the scores from this past basketball season that this has happened. In my 20+ years of basketball, I have yet to see anything like that. While you may think that girls basketball is some kind of creampuff league of silly, little girls trying to play a man's game, I can assure you that "the problem," as you see it does not happen "all the time." So, since you said it does, I'd like to see the numbers.

Anecdotal evidence shows girls' basketball is particularly susceptible to blowouts, especially when star players are involved.

Cheryl Miller scored a record 105 points in 1981, when Poly (Riverside, Calif.) defeated Notre Vista (Riverside) 179-15. Lisa Leslie was poised to break the record in 1990 for Morningside (Inglewood, Calif.) by scoring 101 points by halftime. But the coach of opposing South Torrance recognized what was going on and took his team home at halftime.

Miller's record fell in February 2006, when Epiphanny Prince scored 113 for Murry Bergtraum (New York) in a 137-32 win over Brandeis (New York), according the ESPNRISE CalHi Sports records.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/...tory?id=3855856

"All the time" is quite obviously subjective based on other high school sports. We both know that it wasn't literal.

Oh, and I'm moving this to the sports forum. Everything in its place.

Read the article. A handful of examples. Not overwhelming evidence of all the time. Not even half the time, or a quarter of the time. Be pissy all you want. Maybe you should go back to the creek.

You read the article. Just for your personal benefit, I bolded a statement that outlines the entire purpose of that article. The examples that it cites are by no means the only examples, but are famously glaring examples backing the argument.

Any self-respecting user of the English language is aware of something called common hyperbole. "All the time" is relative based on the fact that it happens more in girls' basketball than any other high school sport, period. Considering that mercy rules and blowouts are often discussed in the high school ranks, the fact that girls' basketball has more blowouts than any of these other sports validates the thought behind my claim.

At this point, I'd like to throw you in the creek.

Girls basketball does tend to have blowouts... at least at the high school level. Even recent state championship games here in Maryland have been super-lopsided in recent memory.

At the college level, blowouts aren't the norm... but the Top 10-15 teams in the nation are MILES ahead of the other teams.

Meanwhile... the administration of the school has yet to say if the firing is even related to the game, so who knows. Maybe the coach has had problems with sportsmanship in the past. I think 100-0 is disgusting, but I doubt that was the single incident that put him down.

The AD Director needed to also be canned, he had no business scheduling a school with the enrollment of 20, to go against Covenant...

There's a point, perhaps you shouldn't be fielding a V team, if you can't score a single point. I could get 4 of my friends and I'm positive we could score a point vs. any NBA. We might only score the 1, but I promise we'd get 1.

I was just wondering what people thought about it?

I'm sure a decent amount of you know the story as it's been making national news, but here's article for those who haven't.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482825,00.html

I know its a cop out answer but while I am unsure whether or not I would have fired the coach I do not have a problem with him being fired.

From the original article

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter.

Thats pretty shameful if true.

Maybe its just me though, one of the things I dislike about college football is they way teams run up the score on lesser teams.

What would the final score be of a game of "your friends" versus "any NBA team"? 350-1? Worse? I would love to watch this game, btw.

Shit maybe worse 1000-1, but you miss my point completely. The fact is I have no business there and these girls had no business where they were, if you can't win a game in 4 years and you lose by scores like 100-0, you might as well sit home, sure sports are fun and games, but if this team (and I'm not saying they did, because I don't know), had any part in asking for this man to be fired, they are the ones who should be ashamed (the school AD Director not the girls), they should be the one firing people for letting this happen to these girls.

Also to Spen, I don't think the 3 point shooting is shameful, or at least not as shameful as if these girls were running up and down the court scoring lay ups. You've still got to make the shots, regardless of how bad the other team is going down the floor and knocking down 3 pointers to the tune of a 100 is IMO, a lot tougher and less mean spirited, not to say it wasn't mean spirited, then over matching people by speed and size.

Shit maybe worse 1000-1, but you miss my point completely. The fact is I have no business there and these girls had no business where they were, if you can't win a game in 4 years and you lose by scores like 100-0, you might as well sit home, sure sports are fun and games, but if this team (and I'm not saying they did, because I don't know), had any part in asking for this man to be fired, they are the ones who should be ashamed (the school AD Director not the girls), they should be the one firing people for letting this happen to these girls.

Also to Spen, I don't think the 3 point shooting is shameful, or at least not as shameful as if these girls were running up and down the court scoring lay ups. You've still got to make the shots, regardless of how bad the other team is going down the floor and knocking down 3 pointers to the tune of a 100 is IMO, a lot tougher and less mean spirited, not to say it wasn't mean spirited, then over matching people by speed and size.

No, I know what you meant... I just thought it was an interesting concept, average guys vs. NBA players. That there is even an argument to make about you guys being able to score kind've shows how basketball is different from other sports... football, hockey, baseball... in a million years, average guys would probably never score a single point against professionals in the other sports.

And I agree with you about the 3-pointers. It's actually somewhat better for them to try 3-pointers, because at least there is a level of difficulty built into the 3-point-shot. Just driving to the basket over and over would probably lead to an even higher-scoring game.

I see what you mean, I didnt think of it that way.

What would the final score be of a game of "your friends" versus "any NBA team"? 350-1? Worse? I would love to watch this game, btw.

Wellllllll I dont know about that, different sport but back in the early 80's there was a flag football team in Towson (The Crease) that was loaded with former NFLers, I played for a bar in downtown, yes they beat us pretty good, but I did pick off a pass thrown from Marty Domres the old Colts QB, they had Domres, Howard Stevens (Colts KR) Greg Schaumm (OL for the Cowboys). I also got my first snot knocker, they did a student body left and Stevens was carrying the ball, Schamm just obliviated me, my head hit the groung so hard that when I shook the cobwebs I thought I was bleeding from face, I must have popped a snot gland..Hence the term snotknocker..