ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Kindle Fire HD or Blackberry Playbook

RavenMad

I have a choice of getting a Kindle Fire HD 16gb for £159 or about $240 or a Blackberry Playbook 64gb for £129 or about $190. They both seem to have pros and cons but I just can't decide what to do. It's for my wife and she wants to be able to read on it hence the kindle is an option but wants to be able to do other things like watch movies, play games, listen to music etc.

Does anyone have experience of either device?

Please bare in mind that the UK Kindle Fire amazon store is no where near as well stocked in apps/movies etc as the US counterpart as we are a year behind getting our own service.

Blackberry is on the verge of going out of business... so I would stay away.

Many other options out there... Kindle has a great rep. I've used and bought a Nook before (just as a reader). Samsung and Microsoft are getting decent reviews on their tablets too.

God I guess I'm old. I like my books made out of paper which I can read then put on a shelf.

So do I. The majority of books I read are actual books but I appreciate ereaders too. I was partially won over because when I would go on vacations I'd be carrying a heavy bag of books and my wife had a dozen books on her less than a pound Nook ereader. Plus its cool to hear about a book and be able to start reading it in minutes if you want.

So do I. The majority of books I read are actual books but I appreciate ereaders too. I was partially won over because when I would go on vacations I'd be carrying a heavy bag of books and my wife had a dozen books on her less than a pound Nook ereader. Plus its cool to hear about a book and be able to start reading it in minutes if you want.

I see your point there.

I see your point there.

If I have the book in front of me and the Kindle in front of me I'd much rather read the actual book. It just feels better. And lighter, the Kindle Fire is a bit front heavy for reading in bed. Im going to bang my face one night.

• 6 months later...

After tiring of not having things work and Amazon never updating the Kindle software I bought a Nexus 7. Its much faster than the Kindle Fire and with the Kindle app I still have access to all my books.

We went with the Kindle Fire HD in the end and she loves it. That said, I still prefer the setup of the apple products and apps and my 2 year old can work my iphone with no problems (although he seems to like moving my apps all over the place). I will probably purchase an ipad in the future when my laptop needs replacing. Just need to make sure I get a cover straight away this time as I am one of the masses with the cracked iphone 5 screen.

I'm staying away from tablets as long as possible... I have a phone with apps, I just don't really need the tablet and it would probably slow me down more than speed me up with most of the apps I use as a teacher. (Plus, I get a free laptop to use from school for all I need there... so no reason to spend money)

That said, wife & I have still invested in the original Kindle (actually, the "Paperwhite") just for the ease of reading and not lugging books around. Good move, I say... the e-ink is definitely superior to staring at an LCD or whatever kind of screen for reading for long periods. My head already hurts from staring at the laptop all day as it is.

I really liked my Kindle Fire and if it would have been updated a bit more or had slightly better support I would gave upgraded to a Kindle Fire HD. Problems I had day one, and many others did too according to the support threads, are still unresolved. Even so overall I enjoyed it for well over a year.

e-ink is more pleasing to read on, but I like to use mine for more than reading. I like the lightness of the e-ink ones too