ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steal of the draft.......again

vmax

Mike Preston likes the first 2 days of the Ravens draft...me too!

In theory, the defending Super Bowl champion isn't supposed to get stronger through the NFL draft because the team has the last pick in each round.

That's not the case with the Ravens.

After two days, they have picked up one of the top three players at two different positions. On Thursday, it was University of Florida safety Matt Elam with the No. 32 overall pick.

On Friday night, they got another gem in Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown. The Ravens also picked Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams in the third round, but he doesn't have the acclaim of Brown.
Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-0427-20130426,0,843799.column#ixzz2Rex4S7Aj

The high motor speed and nose for the ball is what impresses me the most about Elam and Brown. Elam hits as hard as Pollard but he's a much better tackler. Brown can cover and run sideline to sideline.

Williams....maybe the next Buddy Lee.

It's coming together. :gorave:

Oz works his magic, once again

The Ravens drafted Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams in the third round with the 94th overall selection.

Williams excelled in the Senior Bowl against major Division I players.

Williams continues a theme for the Ravens' draft, bolstering the interior of their defense with him, Kansas State All-American linebacker Arthur Brown in the second round and University of Florida All-American safety Matt Elam in the first round.

"We talked about getting stronger up the middle," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "Over the past two days, the picks have definitely addressed the middle of our defense."

Added Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta of Williams: "He dominated the small-school level. He looked like a legitimate 3-4 nose tackle.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-draft-missouri-southern-defensive-tackle-brandon-williams-20130426,0,4650344.story#ixzz2RezxB76C

Teams do not reach the point of Super Bowl contention by accident. And there is nothing accidental about how Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome and, in a smaller window, San Francisco GM Trent Baalke have worked the system in their favors.

Both Newsome and Baalke have shown a consistent understanding of their teams’ strengths and weaknesses, then done whatever is necessary to address the latter.

That brings us to Day 2 of the NFL draft. After landing hard-hitting safety Matt Elam to close Round 1, Baltimore traded up in Round 2 to nab linebacker Arthur Brown, who could become this year’s Bobby Wagner, the 2012 second-round linebacker who stood out as a rookie in Seattle. Later, at pick No. 94, the Ravens grabbed sleeper DT Brandon Williams of Missouri Southern State.

After opening the offseason by bidding adieu to a huge chunk of their title-winning defense, the Ravens have added as many as six potential starters on that side of the ball, including three so far in the draft to go along with a free-agent haul that included Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/26/first-down-fourth-down-nfl-draft-day-2/

I love the Brown pick. I heard an interview with Brown and the guy has the FBI (football intelligence) to match his physical skills. He's not the biggest guy but his weight room numbers are very impressive (bench, squat and hang clean). With his speed he was a three down backer at KSU. He would actually line up in the slot sometimes to jam the receivers. Huge potential here.

Kiper gives the Ravens an A.

Summary: The Ravens needed to come out of this draft with an inside linebacker and a safety, and with their first two picks, they got two really good players at those positions. Matt Elam has played high-level football at Florida, can move around (particularly up to the line of scrimmage) and make hits. He plays with fearlessness, can make plays in coverage with his good instincts and long arms and slotted in next to Michael Huff at strong safety, provides immediate impact. Baltimore used its pile of picks to move up and take Arthur Brown, a player the Ravens really liked. He's a steal at No. 56 overall and takes over the void left by Ray Lewis. Brandon Williams gives them a rotation player at nose tackle and gives them depth behind Terrence Cody. Kyle Juszczyk is the best fullback in the draft, and makes plenty of sense in the fourth round. Ricky Wagner is an interesting pick because if you asked me a year ago I'd have told you he probably lands in Round 2 this year. He just didn't play to that level this season, but you have to wonder if he can get back to that point. I see his future at right tackle, or even guard. Tackle was a need, and we'll see if he helps there. I think it's a good bet on upside. John Simon is an interesting player, because it's hard to say what position he'll play. For now he provides depth at linebacker and should be a good special-teamer. The Ravens had another excellent draft because they needed starters at some key spots and pulled it off. That's not easy to do when you're slotted in at No. 32.

CSI.com:

Arthur Brown, LB, Ravens (No. 56): Kudos to the Ravens for trading up when Brown was available here. Four other linebackers came off the board before Brown in Round 2, including Manti Te’o and Kevin Minter. Brown could be better than them all from the get-go.

• Upvote 1

I love the Arthur 'Fire' Brown pick. :gorave:

Perfect fit behind that big D line.

It's all about speed and fundamentals. Art is a high motor, sideline to sideline, fast, hard hitting, solid tackling machine who can cover.

Ray couldn't do any of that last year. It was a big hole and weakness in the D.

Couldn't stop the bleeding or get off the field on 3rd down last year.

The O couldn't get the ball.

It will be a different story this year. :thumbup:

Oh! It gets better!

Elam is way faster than Pollard. He's a sure tackler which Pollard was average at. He hits as hard as Pollard and he can cover which was Pollard's weakness.