ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Looking ahead

vmax

Right now I don't think the Ravens will make the playoffs. IMO they would need to go on an 8-2 run to finish out the season.

Just like last year. I don't see it with this defense...and an average Special Team unit.

Look at the QB's the Ravens face:

....................Rating

Peyton Manning, IND 114.1

Ben Roethlisberger, PIT 104.5 (twice)

Aaron Rodgers, GNB 104.1

Kyle Orton, QB......100.1

Not to mention Palmer and Cutler.

Scoring, passing yards and QB performance in the NFL is at a near record pace and the Achilles heel is the Ravens pass defense.

Now...I read this the other day from Peter Schmuck....

Personally, I don't think they are in such bad shape from a playoff perspective, especially after the Chargers, Jets and Bengals also lost over the weekend. The Bengals are the only potential wild card team that has a better record than the Ravens right now, so it's more a matter of shoring up than catching up.

Here's this week's rose-colored prediction: The Ravens will be 6-3 when the Colts get here on Nov. 22. Book it.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/10/ravens_trade_deadline_blues.html

I hope he's on to something. A lot can happen over 10 games and don't forget we have Joe Flacco and the #4 scoring offense to counter these potent QB's and offenses on the schedule.

It might be Shootout City but can you go 8-2 with all those shootouts?

The Ravens lost 3 close games.

Now they have to find ways to win the close games because there could be quite a few.

197729640-18171247.jpg

Yeah I see whatyou are saying. Take the Minny game. Had the Vikes not lost their 2 cb's at half would the offense have been as productive. I don't think so. In the end I do not think the D will get much better so they need to score. The blueprint has been written to slow this offense down and I expect every team to use it. I said 9-7 before the season. I called into NST this evening and they asked me to predict w-l the rest of the way. I got it to 8-8. In the end it is up to the players and the coaches to get it right.

Peter King was right on when he stated that the Ravens are scoring too fast on O, and not letting the D rest. 2 weeks ago I would have sworn that this is the cupcake of our schedule, Denver, Leaveland and Cinncy, if we are to make any splash in the playoff pool,These 3 are must wins. I like our chances ns Denver, thats a West team coming East for a 1 pm our time, 10am their time start,

Cleveland will be in the W column, Cinncy, they seem to have a hold over us, we need to shake that. Joe had his best game as a rookie in Cinncy. 19 for 28 280, 2 tds and a 110+ passer rating. If the D can right their listing ship, we'll be right back on the playoff run.

With the rest of the AFC in a funk as the Ravens are, if we get hot the AFCN could put 3 teams in the playoffs, If Cinncy holds up their part.

Correction Crav, Denver is on Mountain time, so 11 AM there time haha, but I think we pick up the win anyway, Orton doesn't have the arm to take advantage of our secondary. I'm just happy Vmax is predicting we don't win any games, cause usually the opposite of whatever he says will happen happens. I like our chances.

Peter King was right on when he stated that the Ravens are scoring too fast on O, and not letting the D rest. 2 weeks ago I would have sworn that this is the cupcake of our schedule, Denver, Leaveland and Cinncy, if we are to make any splash in the playoff pool,These 3 are must wins. I like our chances ns Denver, thats a West team coming East for a 1 pm our time, 10am their time start,

Cleveland will be in the W column, Cinncy, they seem to have a hold over us, we need to shake that. Joe had his best game as a rookie in Cinncy. 19 for 28 280, 2 tds and a 110+ passer rating. If the D can right their listing ship, we'll be right back on the playoff run.

With the rest of the AFC in a funk as the Ravens are, if we get hot the AFCN could put 3 teams in the playoffs, If Cinncy holds up their part.

I do not care how fast we score, a three-and-out is a three-and-out. If the defense wants to get off the field and rest, they can make it happen. The defense is hurting themselves letting up 10+ play drives. The Ravens defense of last year would not have had any problem playing with our offense of this year. How practical is it for Mattison to go up to Cam and say: "Hey, our defense just let up a 12-play drive, try not to score as quickly." What we saw last week was we would try and run the ball, get stuffed on first and second down, and leave ourself with a third and long. So instead of scoring, we get a three-and-out hurting our own defense even more. When you have a way of scoring points, you score the points. People just have to face it, our passing game opens up our running game.

By the way, what does the defense expect? We are down by double digits in the fourth quarter, the offense has to score quickly! If the defense gave up that long pass from Favre because they were tired, then they just did not want to win that game enough.

Schmuck is on to something in terms of who we're fighting for a wildcard spot (at the worst, of course... let's remember, we're only a game back of division lead even with a harder schedule than our rivals).

But the Broncos are running away in the West. The Colts are running away in the South.

So that leaves the Ravens, Bengals, Steelers, Pats, Jets, Dolphins... and maybe you can throw in the Chargers (can you at this point though)?

Two of those teams make the playoffs by winning the division... let's say that's Steelers and Pats...

That leaves the Ravens, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins... and maybe Chargers... fighting for two playoff spots.

If that's the way it's going to look... I actually don't dislike our odds. It's not easy... but it's not the end of the world. I mean, just like the Bengals and Steelers will beat up on us (and each other), the Jets, Fish and Pats will do that in the East. I don't think both East teams can outplay us.

Which really leaves us fighting the Bengals (or Steelers) for a wild card spot for ourselves...

Get it?

By the way... The "Accuscore Report" on ESPN on the Ravens says we have a 40% chance at making the playoffs??

Take a guess as to what the biggest factor in that 40% chance is??? Probably that of the Ravens, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins and Chargers... 2 of those teams have to make the playoffs (again, assuming Steelers/Pats win divisions... but its a toss up either way).

2 of 5 is.... 40%

Really, our odds should be better than 40%. First, we already have a win over the Chargers. Second, we have a chance to win the division (and not that slim)... which should add on to the 40% chance of making it as a wild card.

.......... I'm just happy Vmax is predicting we don't win any games, cause usually the opposite of whatever he says will happen happens. I like our chances.

Hey! :)

You've got me confused with crav.

By the way... The "Accuscore Report" on ESPN on the Ravens says we have a 40% chance at making the playoffs??

Take a guess as to what the biggest factor in that 40% chance is??? Probably that of the Ravens, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins and Chargers... 2 of those teams have to make the playoffs (again, assuming Steelers/Pats win divisions... but its a toss up either way).

2 of 5 is.... 40%

If anything its 3 of 5 already or 60%, we own the tie breaker over San Diego so we really have to worry about and keep pace with is the Fins and Jets. I said it earlier that if we get hot and our division stays hot, we could put three from the AFCN in the playoffs. But in reality, I see Cinncy falling and falling quickly, they lost their best D player in Odom for the season.

This weekend is big for us, and all we have to do is sit back with chips n dip. Minny will play tough in Pittsburgh, and Cinncy hosting the Bears, if they dont get any pressure on Cutler, the Bengals could be in for a long afternoon..Just think we could be a 1/2 game behind in the playoff chase all the while we were getting healthier.

I hope home field advantage counts for something in this game.

Denver's only giving up 11 points a game. In points scored vs points against they are a plus 67 while the Ravens are +39.

Denver is winning a balanced team...meaning offense, defense and special teams are working in tandum.

The Ravens have...?...offense.

This game is just as important as any in December...must win IMO.

But in reality, I see Cinncy falling and falling quickly

If that's what you see Crav, you need to buy a new set of glasses. The Bengals are stomping the Bears BIG TIME. Carson Palmer has thrown 5 TDs, and it's not even the 4th quarter yet. bengal.gif

If that's what you see Crav, you need to buy a new set of glasses. The Bengals are stomping the Bears BIG TIME. Carson Palmer has thrown 5 TDs, and it's not even the 4th quarter yet. bengal.gif

Update time Crav. Bengals up 44-3. I'm just not seeing your predicted collapse.

Actually, Billy, you are. The collapse is the accuracy of crav's predictions. You've been here long enough to know that by now! :)

Dee!! You shouldn't be giving Cravn more shit than I do!

Hey dc, I know you dislike trends and things, but this one is interesting.

Ravens are 3-3 vs Denver

3-0 at the ATM

0-3 @ Denver.

I like our chances next week.

Actually, I don't dislike trends... I just don't put all my faith in them.

That trend in particular isn't too hard to buy, though. We are a home field team. We are good against the AFC West.

I still wouldn't be basing too much of my bet or prediction on that. I'd put more in our home record the last 3 seasons (vs anyone) than in that particular number.

Remember... how many of those games were against THESE Broncos? None. How many were even against a similar team (coach, qb, rb)? None. In fact, the D has 8 new starters from last year alone... crazy.

We're not "basically two games back."

We're 1.5 back of Pitt. We're 1.5 and the tie-break behind Cincy. If we can win at Cincy, the tie break evens... and a win over the Broncos would give us a same-opponent advantage.

It's all way up in the air...

By the way, amending my previous post on chances of making the playoffs... I totally left off Jax and Hou because I didn't realize their records. Miami's big loss is good for us, though. And as Crav mentioned, we already have a tie-break over SD. It's really not that bad an outlook for us... but we do need to win some games, of course.

Meanwhile... fun stat... at 5-2 the Steelers have a +38 point differential, the Bengals +35 (even after their big blowout). The Ravens at 3-3 are +39... better than both despite one more loss and 2 fewer wins. Despite all the talk of how bad this team has looked in some ways... we have to remember we've lost close games and really had opportunities (almost want to say 'should have') to win these games.

It's really not that bad an outlook for us... but we do need to win some games, of course.

We need to win one-two games that we are not projected to win..A win over the Colts would electrify this place, a win in Pittsburgh, that would do wonders too.

Just keep your fingers and toes crossed that during the bye, they cured whatever was ailing the D-Line and came up with some kind of plan to get pressure on the opposing QB.

And please dont judge the Bengals like that Colin, they will fall..I watched that game vs Chicago (If you want to call it that) The Bears didnt show up, the Bengals have a below average O-Line, Palmer is on borrowed time, that was their only solid win, Palmer is pulling games out of his ass, that well is going to run dry. They have been down this path before, they just got an early jump on their pattened 8-8 season.

It's really not that bad an outlook for us... but we do need to win some games, of course.

We need to win one-two games that we are not projected to win..A win over the Colts would electrify this place, a win in Pittsburgh, that would do wonders too.

Just keep your fingers and toes crossed that during the bye, they cured whatever was ailing the D-Line and came up with some kind of plan to get pressure on the opposing QB.

And please dont judge the Bengals like that Colin, they will fall..I watched that game vs Chicago (If you want to call it that) The Bears didnt show up, the Bengals have a below average O-Line, Palmer is on borrowed time, that was their only solid win, Palmer is pulling games out of his ass, that well is going to run dry. They have been down this path before, they just got an early jump on their pattened 8-8 season.

Crav,

Agree with you on the one-two unprogrammed wins. I dont see it happening but one never knows.

The Bengals, like it or not, are playing as a team with a true sense of purpose. They and the Squealers are making game winning plays. We havent in the last 3 weeks - missed FG, missed TD (NE), and failure to stop Cincy at home. We havent made the plays necesary to win.

I know its so cliche but there is such a fine line between winning and losing. Yes, we could be 6-0 or 5-1 but we are not. Its starting to define who we are as a team.

Now, we could turn this ship around on Sunday. If we do, there is hope. If not, our season is over. If we go 3-4, we wont have enough emotionally to recover.

To me, its all on Sunday.

Hang in there Crav !

Cincy won't collapse, but they won't keep up this pace either.

If you care to research a bit, you'll see many of the preseason pundits had the Bengals at 2-5 at this point in the season with big losses against both the Steelers and the Ravens. Didn't happen, and even I didn't see it coming. I didn't see Ocho reinventing himself. I didn't see Cedric Benson becoming one of the leagues top RBs, (currently he sits at #1). I didn't see Carson Palmer finding his former groove, and crafting long drives to win games late. (I probably don't need to tell you about that last one. You've seen it enough for yourself I'm sure.)

IMO the Cincinnati Bengals aren't done surprising, and there's a big one waiting for you on November 8th at Paul Brown Stadium, but by that time Baltimore will likely sit a 3-4 after undefeated Denver has their way with the Ravens.

If you care to research a bit, you'll see many of the preseason pundits had the Bengals at 2-5 at this point in the season with big losses against both the Steelers and the Ravens.

And the exact same pundits had us 6-0 at this same time..What do they know?

If you care to research a bit, you'll see many of the preseason pundits had the Bengals at 2-5 at this point in the season with big losses against both the Steelers and the Ravens.

And the exact same pundits had us 6-0 at this same time..What do they know?

Really ? Some pundits had us at 6-0 by this time with away games at SD, NE and Minny ? Other than a big time homer, I dont know any rational person who saw us at 6-0.

ht