ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

who should get the carries, and who will?

tgfsports

Who do you think will get the majority of carries? After last weeks performance, I think it should be McClain, but with this team you never know.

They talk about that very question in this article from the Sun.

The best compliment an offense can receive is being described as unpredictable.

And that's what makes the Ravens' running game so dangerous.

Every week, any given running back can get the nod to carry the load. Even the coaching staff can't truly predict who it will be entering a game.

Will it be Willis McGahee? Ray Rice? Le'Ron McClain?

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the team wanted to give each back about 10 carries in the Philadelphia Eagles game. But McClain was the hottest back and finished with 88 yards on 18 carries.

"The best laid plans change oftentimes," Harbaugh said.

More...

Good question.

Anyone of the Ravens RB's should have a good day against this Bengals rush D.

42488901.jpg

I can remember at least two or three games against the bungels that I thought Jamal should have had a great day runnin the ball only to be disappointed by a less than stellar performance. I think the problem is rooted in multiple places, a. Billick's offense, b. Jamal was clearly losing a step, c. the Bengals are a division rival, so they're familiar with their opponent no matter how awful their D was or may still be.

However with the New Coach, three guys clearly capable of picking up the load, we should have a great day runnin the ball. This Ravens fans is not a bad problem to have! ;)

He's probably not healthy. It seems he is either injured or playing injured this year. Why not let him heal while the Ravens have two capable backs carry the load?

Folks here will tell you that it doesn't matter, that McGahee's paycheck means he should be performing. :rolleyes:

You are correct, however. Whatever the issue is, I don't have any problem with having it worked out while our other backs take care of business.

Guest BallTMore

McGahee is making a lot of money, he should be out there perform... I mean. Yeah, I really don't know if he's in the doghouse, I think it's possible, but if it's just to get him a bit healthier I have no problem with that.

He'll come in handy the next few weeks.

The "Company" line is that Willis has some nagging injuries...which is true. Harbaugh has said that Willis is a very valuable member of the team.

To Willis's credit, he hasn't publically complained about a lack of playing time. He's started no controversey...and when I saw him play, he was giving his all IMO.

"Don't worry Willis...I'll Bring the Pain.

43661071.jpg

OK...just found this quote from Harbaugh today...

It's strategic," coach John Harbaugh said of the decision to keep McGahee on the sidelines. "We've got a plan, and we've got a plan for Willis, I guarantee you. And he's going to be a big part in December, no question about it.

"Willis can play, and he will play," Harbaugh said a little later. "We're going to put him in the best situation to play -- just like we are with Le'Ron and [rookie] Ray [Rice]."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,6047963.story

I just don't buy it.

If he's not healthy enough to play... mark him as injured and then we all know that we're saving him for later.

If he's healthy enough to play... then you should be playing him if he's your #1 running back.

I know McClain took 90% of the carries, but Rice was in there a bit. And if Rice is getting in the mix and McClain too, Willis should have as well... assuming that he was ready and that the team likes him as a back. Nothing about the Bengals D should have had us going "Well, in terms of strategy... Willis is not the answer." In fact, quite the opposite, I think.

I just don't buy it.

If he's not healthy enough to play... mark him as injured and then we all know that we're saving him for later.

Since when is it our right to know who's injured? Besides that, don't you think hiding his injury works to our advantage? Teams spend time with film on McGahee, only to find that he won't even be playing. That's quite commonplace.

It had nothing to do with strategy, so you don't have to argue that, either.

Yea Harbs is just resting him because he thinks we can win without him. Why not save him so we have a healthy, fresh back versus Pittsburgh?

Thats exactly what Bruce Cunningham is saying on 105.7 right now..He feels that Cinncy wasnt a challenge, so why risk it.

Thats exactly what Bruce Cunningham is saying on 105.7 right now..He feels that Cinncy wasnt a challenge, so why risk it.

I can understand the thinking and even said the samething yesterday but I would think you always would put your best team out there on the field. It has to be more then just holding him back.

I think sitting a guy on a wet field is a prudent thing. Why put him out there if he's not 100% and chance a hammy pull or something worse. I don't have a problem with saving Willis for the home stretch.

... and today Preston runs with it ...

According to Mikey, the doghouse contains: Ed Reed, Chris McAlister (duh), Willis McGahee, Samari Rolle, Bart Scott.

Personally, I don't know that Ed is in the doghouse. He spoke up once about Harbaugh, but I feel like it was more in defense of CMac.

As for Willis... when you talk about coming to practices and mini camps totally out of shape... and not trying in practices... and not seeming to care... you're going to make everyone's doghouse.

Preston predicts that by next summer, CMac, Willis and Scott will all be names of the past

... and today Preston runs with it ...

According to Mikey, the doghouse contains: Ed Reed, Chris McAlister (duh), Willis McGahee, Samari Rolle, Bart Scott.

Personally, I don't know that Ed is in the doghouse. He spoke up once about Harbaugh, but I feel like it was more in defense of CMac.

As for Willis... when you talk about coming to practices and mini camps totally out of shape... and not trying in practices... and not seeming to care... you're going to make everyone's doghouse.

Preston predicts that by next summer, CMac, Willis and Scott will all be names of the past

Personally, I think a well healed, and well rested, McGahee could be a major advantage for us in the upcoming weeks. Willis always runs hard and you'll notice they haven't been risking him against teams with less than stellar run defenses. Why expose him to injury against the Bengals when it's not necessary? As far as the rest of the article goes, it's vintage Preston.