ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Best Stat of the Night

bmw800

Rice: 19 carries, 88 yards (4.6/carry)

McClain: 4 carries, 28 yards (7/carry)

McGahee: 5 carries, 18 yards (3.6/carry)

3 headed monster (neglecting Flacco's last carry before the FG): 28 rushes, 134 yards (4.8 yards/carry)

And this against a Steeler's D leading the NFL in yds/game (69.5) and yds/carry (3.4) coming into tonight

• Upvote 1

Who'd have thought the Ravens would win giving up 2 turnovers, 5 sacks, 9 penalties for 80 yards and losing the TOP battle?

Not me.

But then again...Ravens/Steelers games are always ugly.

This one hurt the Steelers....:)

I just don't know how anyone is happy with this win. That team was without Polamalu, Aaron Smith, and Big Ben. We are at home, in a must win. We should've crushed that team tonight, and winning by 3 was a sad, sad showing.

How bout because its the NFL, and a win is a win any way you can get one.

Or because we beat the Steelers, a rivalry where the score is almost always close regardless of the records involved or who was playing.

Or because despite the fact we turned the ball over twice, Flacco was sacked 5 times, we were penalized 9 times for 80 yards (and a very conspicuous no-call on Mason), and we were trailing by 3 in the 4th quarter, we found a way to win the game against a playoff hopeful team

Or because we saw some rookies step up HUGE today (Webb all game, and Kruger played well even before the pick)

Or because, for once this season when we really needed one more drive, one more play in a must win game, we got it (several times over, in fact).

Or because, we're 6-5, and despite all that has happened this season, we are right back in this thing. I don't know if we'll make the playoffs, or if we'd do anything once we are there, but we still have a chance, thanks to tonight's win. And at this point in the season, I'll take it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just don't know how anyone is happy with this win. That team was without Polamalu, Aaron Smith, and Big Ben. We are at home, in a must win. We should've crushed that team tonight, and winning by 3 was a sad, sad showing.

You can go ahead and be depressed. I am loving this win. Any win against the Steelers is a huge boost to my week.

First of, whats up guys I haven't been on here in a while. Second, I know soccer is a completely different game than football, but this happens all the time in soccer. You go into a game playing a team without their best player and you're expected to win by three goals, blow them out, but you only end up winning by one and its an ugly win. It is extremely hard to win a game at the pro level I can tell you guys that from my experiences. I am actually glad we didn't blow them out because now when we face them week 16, probably with our playoff hopes on the line, we'll know that a half ass performance or an undisciplined performance like we had today, won't cut it. Also, wanted to add, their defense looked amazing today, and we put up 20 points on them, while loosing the TO, TOP, and sacks battle. That's impressive.

• Upvote 1

First of, whats up guys I haven't been on here in a while. Second, I know soccer is a completely different game than football, but this happens all the time in soccer. You go into a game playing a team without their best player and you're expected to win by three goals, blow them out, but you only end up winning by one and its an ugly win. It is extremely hard to win a game at the pro level I can tell you guys that from my experiences. I am actually glad we didn't blow them out because now when we face them week 16, probably with our playoff hopes on the line, we'll know that a half ass performance or an undisciplined performance like we had today, won't cut it. Also, wanted to add, their defense looked amazing today, and we put up 20 points on them, while loosing the TO, TOP, and sacks battle. That's impressive.

Agree with your post, especially about having the luxury of winning, yet knowing we have to step up next time we play. You just have to take the win and be happy - we've outplayed teams and lost many times this season and this just makes up for one of those losses in my opinion. We outplayed the Steelers in both regular season games last year and they won both AND went on to win the SB. I am not happy about giving up all those points to an inexperienced QB, but you have to enjoy the fact that you beat Pitt.

Also don't forget we had injuries of our own. No Suggs, no Washington - those are two defensive starters and I think Suggs would've had a big impact today if healthy.

I am happy it was close, if we had crushed them, it would hardly mean much, the fact that we finally won a close game, will give us more momentum I think, not bad.

And we're down T-Sizz and Washington, I know Washington isn't the greatest, by=ut he was still the starter.

Our next man up, was better than Pittsburghs "next man up"

And we're down T-Sizz and Washington, I know Washington isn't the greatest, by=ut he was still the starter.

Our next man up, was better than Pittsburghs "next man up"

If Webb can continue to perform like he did last night, we're really not missing Washington at all.

Pittsburgh was down arguably it's three best players, we were without Suggs and Washington, both of whom have played terribly this year, so that argument is just bad.

Also, soccer is a completely different game, scores are usually low and close regardless of the talent level just because it's flat out hard to score, if you are more talented in football, you can actually blow out your opponent, so I'm again failing to see a point.

Flacco has been regressing lately, and he definitely missed some throws yesterday, our run defense and pass rush were flat out bad against a very bad Pittsburgh offensive line. That's what people need to look at.

How, exactly, did this game show Flacco regressing? I talked about this in the gameday thread, but he completed 65% of his passes for 289 yards and a TD with no INTs (and the only play even close to an INT was the one where the umpire got in the way). So he missed some throws. Manning misses throws, Brees misses throws, everyone misses throws. He was getting absolutely creamed yesterday and hurt his ankle, but he still took us down the field to tie, and had us in position to win before Clayton's PI, and again before the fumble. Its also not like he was holding on to the ball too long on those sacks, guys were getting to him untouched most of the time. He made a good throw to Clayton on the bomb (a bit underthrown, but not egregiously so), a beautiful throw to Mason on that fade for the TD, and an absolute bullet to Rice on 4th down that allowed Rice to catch and run (on a similar pattern to the one that got us burned against Indy). He also made a good throw on that deep ball to Mason that should have been PI (Mason's gotta dive for that ball, he may have been able to at least get a hand on it and it would have sold the fact that his arm was being held on) and another one when PI actually got called. Hell, he actually was throwing to other receivers than Mason and Rice (Clayton had over 100 yards!). No way he showed regression during this game.

• Upvote 1

How, exactly, did this game show Flacco regressing? I talked about this in the gameday thread, but he completed 65% of his passes for 289 yards and a TD with no INTs (and the only play even close to an INT was the one where the umpire got in the way). So he missed some throws. Manning misses throws, Brees misses throws, everyone misses throws. He was getting absolutely creamed yesterday and hurt his ankle, but he still took us down the field to tie, and had us in position to win before Clayton's PI, and again before the fumble. Its also not like he was holding on to the ball too long on those sacks, guys were getting to him untouched most of the time. He made a good throw to Clayton on the bomb (a bit underthrown, but not egregiously so), a beautiful throw to Mason on that fade for the TD, and an absolute bullet to Rice on 4th down that allowed Rice to catch and run (on a similar pattern to the one that got us burned against Indy). He also made a good throw on that deep ball to Mason that should have been PI (Mason's gotta dive for that ball, he may have been able to at least get a hand on it and it would have sold the fact that his arm was being held on) and another one when PI actually got called. Hell, he actually was throwing to other receivers than Mason and Rice (Clayton had over 100 yards!). No way he showed regression during this game.

I will tell you how Flacco is regressing.... 1.)He misses alot of easy throws. Good qbs don't let that happen, when they have an open wr they stick it right there. 2.)Didn't pick up an pre-snap blitzes. Good qbs will learn after the first or second time what a delayed lb blitz. 3.) Ball security - he fumbled twice and took a sack only amateur qbs should be taken.

The pt is..... we can all blame cam cameron, lack of a wr or the oline, but in the end the weight is on the qbs shoulders. If flacco executes and delivers when HE DOES get protection were not in the position to get blitzed like crazy in the 4th. When we win Flacco usually plays well, when we lose Flacco plays below average and when were in a dogfight it's b/c Flacco is playing avg. Why are we a average team? B/c Flacco, right now, is playing as an avg. qb.

Who won the game for us last night? Not Joe Flacco. It was Ray Rice and Paul Kruger. Flacco has yet to win a close game by himself.

• Downvote 1

Pittsburgh was down arguably it's three best players, we were without Suggs and Washington, both of whom have played terribly this year, so that argument is just bad.

Also, soccer is a completely different game, scores are usually low and close regardless of the talent level just because it's flat out hard to score, if you are more talented in football, you can actually blow out your opponent, so I'm again failing to see a point.

Flacco has been regressing lately, and he definitely missed some throws yesterday, our run defense and pass rush were flat out bad against a very bad Pittsburgh offensive line. That's what people need to look at.

Well a perfect example happened this week. I don't know if you're familiar with Chelsea or Arsenal, but those two clubs are the top four teams in the English Premiership. Arsenal was without Robin Van Persie, there main player and captain, and lost 3-0. The other week Tottenham, a very talented club, beat Wigan, a not so talented club, 9-1. I'd say thats a blow out.

Suggs is a beast, he draws in double teams all game, and he is held the whole game just like Pryce. Also, our entire defense hasn't been getting to the quarterback this year, so I agree with you there. I don't understand why it has been like that, but last week the defense definitely stepped up. Thats the inconsistency right there, and the thing that frustrates me the most is that we play to the level of our competition.

1) I don't know how he's missing a lot of throws, what do you expect, him to complete 75% of his passes every game? I don't remember him missing anything particularly easy in the game against Pittsburgh, apart from maybe the throw on which Clayton got called for PI. And even the best QBs miss a couple of easy ones every game. Watching Indy-Houston for about a half yesterday, Manning missed at least 3 wide open receivers. And he's the best QB of the decade. He missed a couple against us as well. To expect him to hit every open receiver is absolutely ridiculous, especially under the pressure he was under. Again he completed 65% of his passes yesterday. That's quite a bit above average, especially against Pittsburgh's D

2) Apart from the point that Pittsburgh is the best team in the league at disguising blitzes, its not on Flacco to make protection calls at the line. That's on Birk. And there's not much you can do when a guy goes untouched. On the first fumble, Timmons comes in untouched. Flacco saw the blitz and went hot, about to throw the ball, but Timmons just got there way too fast. In fact of the 5 sacks, 4 times the guy came in untouched. That says more about the o-line and Pitt's D then it does about Flacco.

3) Again, every QB fumbles (see our game against the Pats for example). I talked about the first fumble already, and the second fumble is similar. The guy comes up the middle untouched and goes directly for the ball. There really isn't much Flacco can do about that, short of staring down the d-line and LBs every play, and he isn't ever going to complete a pass that way.

I loved the offensive game plan, especially the use of McClain. Don't abandon it next week.

I loved the running side of the gameplan, OTR... it worked like a charm. I only wish we saw even more of it.

The passing game plan was weak and has been... I still can't entirely figure it out, but it just bothers me. What's with all the 7 step drops and long set-ups on pass plays? We seem to have two pass plays... long set up, pray the line holds... or quick dump to Mason/Rice...

The stupidity of the WR screens was appalling... and Cam kept calling it!

It's the freaking Steelers! They aren't falling for it.

Notice how many of our best plays were on short drops and quick hits over the middle. Including Rice's big gain on the 4th down (which was not a check down, it was a designed play). I want to see the stats... because something tells me that 90% of our passes go outside the box, which is just insane. I know FLacco throws that outside comeback beautifully, but the quick hits over the middle work and have to be utilized. Period. Sorry if they are 'scary' without a great WR, but make it happen.

I'm tired of this Joe does not read the middle of the field crap. The problem with the middle of the field pertains more to our personel. Clayton and Mason are smaller guys, not a very big catching radius. So in other words, if your QB does not deliver a perfect pass, the chances for an INT are very high. To make it worse, they are both body catchers, that does not work over the middle. You need a receiver with big, strong hands who extends for the ball. The solution to this problem is to get a big, physical Keyshawn Johnson type receiver. I for one don't want Clayton or Mason going over the middle, they just are not big enough. I have horrible visions about the ball bouncing off a shoulder pad.

Simply put, because of our personel we do not run many routes over the middle, that is why Joe does not look, because there are NO receivers there. Kelly Washington is a guy who fits the description of a receiver who can be consistent over the middle, but Kelly does not see the field nearly as much as he should. That is the fault of the coaching staff, not Joe.

Oh yeah, and we DID have success over the middle when we ran those plays. Washington was hit over the middle for that 15-yard pass, Clayton was hit for a 20-yarder, Mason was hit on that 3rd long which set up that last 4th & 5, Flacco missed an open Mason earlier on a pass over the middle which would have been a big gain, and the pass to Rice at the end was a crossing route over the middle (that was the exact same play as the INT in the Colts game). Flacco was certainly reading the middle of the field, but most of the plays were either designed quick hitters or longer routes working the sidelines.

• Upvote 1

He barely looks to the middle because we rarely run routes over the middle of the field. Most of our routes are to the sidelines or deep. And when people do run routes over the middle (Washington on the 1st drive for the first down, Mason on 3rd an 22 before the 4th down, Rice on 4th down) he does look that way.

He did get a little bit happy with Mason and Rice over the past few weeks, but that was a non-issue last night. Clayton had 7 catches for 129 yards, Rice had 5 (and most of them weren't checkdowns, there's a difference between a checkdown and a screen pass or a designed RB route). Heap and Washington both were targeted several times, including Heap in the end zone. But hes not staring down his receivers all that often (and again, all QBs do that from time to time, in the two series of the MNF game I watched, Brees cost himself a TD by doing that and Brady got picked for it.)

Also, none of the sacks were a result of him panicking at all. Hell, he didn't have time to panic, the Steelers were on him before he finished his drop. Go back and watch the sacks, Flacco had no shot. When the blitz got there later, he did stand tall and get throws off regardless (the first throw to Clayton on the first drive comes to mind).

Was he perfect? No, but to expect him to be is unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

23 for 35 289 yards 1 TD ZERO INT's and a 100 passer rating..

AGAINST THE # D in the NFL

The 4th and 5, if Joe dosent recognize the coverage on RR we dont win this ball game, who cares if it was Rice? I dont..Just give me the W.

A few in here are putting Joe in the Boller category.

23 for 35 289 yards 1 TD ZERO INT's and a 100 passer rating..

AGAINST THE # D in the NFL

The 4th and 5, if Joe dosent recognize the coverage on RR we dont win this ball game, who cares if it was Rice? I dont..Just give me the W.

A few in here are putting Joe in the Boller category.

Now i never said Joe was in Boller category. My pt with Joe is he is the main reason this team is what it is, an avg. team. He needs to become more consistent, he is way to erratic.

Ray Rice has been saving Joe Flacco all yr with his amazing runs after checkdowns. Flacco doesn't progress through his reads nor does he put the nail in the coffin when it comes to the endzone. It's great throwing for all those yards, but how can you not throw a 5 yd comeback td. Carson Palmer has no problem sticking a 5 yd td pass, flacco's problem lies with his ability to read the play. trust your freaking arm and stick the ball into his chest. A simple hook route will work in the endzone but flacco never see's it until it's either not open or he is under pressuer.