ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What Does This Tell Us?

oldno82

The Ravens follow the same formula when making each and every personnel decision. They attach their value to each player and they don't let anything deter them. It's for this reason, that it was and always will be the right thing. No amount of hindsight will change that.

• Upvote 1

It tells me that talent was sitting on the bench and rusting.

Marlon Brown might not have ever set foot on the field if not for the Boldin trade and injuries. Now he's a "find" too.

Let me add this...I don't think the Ravens are 3-4 if either Pita or Boldin were playing. Just one of them would have made a difference of 1...maybe 2 wins.

The Ravens follow the same formula when making each and every personnel decision. They attach their value to each player and they don't let anything deter them. It's for this reason, that it was and always will be the right thing. No amount of hindsight will change that.

Am I miusunderstanding or are you actually saying the Ravens will never make a mistake getting rid if someone?

It tells me that talent was sitting on the bench and rusting.

Marlon Brown might not have ever set foot on the field if not for the Boldin trade and injuries. Now he's a "find" too.

Let me add this...I don't think the Ravens are 3-4 if either Pita or Boldin were playing. Just one of them would have made a difference of 1...maybe 2 wins.

I go with the Pita but not Boldin. I think that Pitta catches the balls that other TEs let hit the ground.

Am I miusunderstanding or are you actually saying the Ravens will never make a mistake getting rid if someone?

You can make the right decision and not achieve the desired results. Whether or not something is a mistake is purely speculation. We have no idea how this team would be performing with Boldin and without the players we acquired due to his cap savings.

You can make the right decision and not achieve the desired results. Whether or not something is a mistake is purely speculation. We have no idea how this team would be performing with Boldin and without the players we acquired due to his cap savings.

But what if the Ravens let a player go because they think he is washed up and not worth the money and the following year he has a tremendous season - better than the replacement? Wouldnt that be a mistake?

I do not mean Boldin, just a general example. And I am not trying to argue, just figuring out what you mean.

I am big Ravens fan but I dont like them so much I think they always make the right roster moves.

But what if the Ravens let a player go because they think he is washed up and not worth the money and the following year he has a tremendous season - better than the replacement? Wouldnt that be a mistake?

I do not mean Boldin, just a general example. And I am not trying to argue, just figuring out what you mean.

I am big Ravens fan but I dont like them so much I think they always make the right roster moves.

Well put, Spen.

It is a give and take thing. Look at the way other teams do it and look at where they are at. As an organization in the NFL you have to take chances. Sometime you make the right move other time you look dumb but most of the time it isn't a full season looking dumb. look over the past 12 season, the time frame we won 2 Super Bowls, how many teams are better and what are they doing. I am sure if you go look it is about the same.

And what you look dumb on one end you come out looking like you know what you are doing on the other. Sometimes it isn't that season but it would there the next. How many teams are good at finding rookie FA?

What is that Ed Hartwell did after he left?

How many really good year did Bart Scott with the Jets?

When did AD get benched but the Pats?

It's better to release a player a year too soon than a year too late. Especially if your are trying to promote a youth movement. If that is the case then it's better to have a drop off in a year while the young player gets more experience in order to have the long term gain and accelerate the development.

Boldin would be great for Joe, but I like the looks of some of our young WRs and the players we got on D for the most part have been good. The team is still a Work In Progress and they might not get it sorted this season but I don't think they are a million miles away from a team that will be ready to compete again for a Superbowl.

It's better to release a player a year too soon than a year too late. Especially if your are trying to promote a youth movement. If that is the case then it's better to have a drop off in a year while the young player gets more experience in order to have the long term gain and accelerate the development.

Boldin would be great for Joe, but I like the looks of some of our young WRs and the players we got on D for the most part have been good. The team is still a Work In Progress and they might not get it sorted this season but I don't think they are a million miles away from a team that will be ready to compete again for a Superbowl.

It is a give and take thing. Look at the way other teams do it and look at where they are at. As an organization in the NFL you have to take chances. Sometime you make the right move other time you look dumb but most of the time it isn't a full season looking dumb. look over the past 12 season, the time frame we won 2 Super Bowls, how many teams are better and what are they doing. I am sure if you go look it is about the same.

And what you look dumb on one end you come out looking like you know what you are doing on the other. Sometimes it isn't that season but it would there the next. How many teams are good at finding rookie FA?

What is that Ed Hartwell did after he left?

How many really good year did Bart Scott with the Jets?

When did AD get benched but the Pats?

I do not disagree with either of you.

I dont really mean specifically the Boldin move and I do think the Ravens generally make good moves. The person I was questioning was because his posts read to me that the team could never make any roster mistakes because "They attach their value to each player and they don't let anything deter them. It's for this reason, that it was and always will be the right thing.".

I was just trying to see if I understood. I think the team usually does well with its moves, but I do think they can make bad moves and have at times.

Edited by Spen

If the Ravens follow the general principle that it is better to let a player go a year too early than a year too late (and they do) and that ends up working out 80% of the time, how can you call the other 20% a mistake?

The Ravens are as consistently good as they are because the front office is consistent in their decision making. They have to say goodbye to great players every year due to the salary cap. They aren't all going to flop with their new teams. Just because players we let go perform well for other teams doesn't make letting them go a mistake. I'm sure the Ravens would love to be able to keep every good player. With the way they draft, they would always have a stacked roster.

If the Ravens follow the general principle that it is better to let a player go a year too early than a year too late (and they do) and that ends up working out 80% of the time, how can you call the other 20% a mistake?

The Ravens are as consistently good as they are because the front office is consistent in their decision making. They have to say goodbye to great players every year due to the salary cap. They aren't all going to flop with their new teams. Just because players we let go perform well for other teams doesn't make letting them go a mistake. I'm sure the Ravens would love to be able to keep every good player. With the way they draft, they would always have a stacked roster.

Thats cool, I disagree with you but not by much. Thanks for clarifying.