ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Packers Game

varaven45

Aside from the Stillers game in late December, the Packers are the biggest challenge left on our regular season schedule.

According to NFL stats, they have the #1 total D and #6 total O(and NFL's 3rd rated QB).

Green Bay (and perhaps) the Titans are arguably the hottest teams right now.

We had to fight and scrap against a Dennis Dixon led team (with his grand total of 1 pass experience) and eke out an OT victory in our house, no less.

Given last night's performanne, how do we compete against the Pack in Lambeau ? No saying they are unbeatable, but how do we approach this game ?

Aside from the Stillers game in late December, the Packers are the biggest challenge left on our regular season schedule.

According to NFL stats, they have the #1 total D and #6 total O(and NFL's 3rd rated QB).

Green Bay (and perhaps) the Titans are arguably the hottest teams right now.

We had to fight and scrap against a Dennis Dixon led team (with his grand total of 1 pass experience) and eke out an OT victory in our house, no less.

Given last night's performanne, how do we compete against the Pack in Lambeau ? No saying they are unbeatable, but how do we approach this game ?

I was just thinking about this as well. This will be a big challenge for us. Their defense is stout, but the strength of that defense is clearly the secondary. We ran the ball againt Pittsburgh, we need to pound the ball against the Pack as well. More than anything, we need to cut down on the penalties that kill our drives and keep the Packers pass rush off of Joe Flacco. We cannot afford that ankle to flare up. This is the battle between the top two penalized teams in the league. Like us, they play their secondary very aggressively in man coverage (except their corners are a lot more physical and can actually play bump and run). But there should be opportunities on offense to take some shots if our run game is effective. The run game is key though.

On defense we need to get pressure on Rodgers. He is one of the most sacked QB in the league. If we cannot get pressure on him, he will tear us up as the guy simply does not throw INTs. Our blitzes last night were not bad, Pittsburgh just picked them up perfectly. Mattison needs to continue to step his game up. Ryan Grant is very average, I believe we will shut their run game down. But Rodgers does not need a run game to be effective, that is why pressure on defense is key.

McClain came back into the game and played it out, but he never got the ball again after that. I am not sure if there is a correlation there or not.

Back on the topic of Rodgers, he has been sacked 44 times this season, that is four sacks a game and nine more than the next most sacked QB (Schaub). If we cannot get to Rodgers we really cannot expect to win. Something else to watch out about Rodgers, the guy can run. He has 45 rushes for 247 yards (a 5.5 average) and 3 TDs.

Green Bay won't be easy, especially if we play as bad as we did last night, but they have had one of the easiest schedules in the league this year and have racked up the yardage differential against teams like Detroit, they really are not as good as the stats make them out to be.

This should be a great one. Ravens are undefeated in prime time this year...let's go for the sweep.

Win this game and it's looking "do-able" as far as making the playoffs.

I respect Rodgers and the Pack (they have the potential to blow the Ravens out) but the Ravens are #5 in points surrendered and the Pack is #12 so their D is good but not lights out. They have had a *** I'm stupid for thinking this game is easy *** schedule...

I see a loss. We can't rush a passer and that is all they let people do. Rogers is going to cut up the DB's.

Papa,

I concur. if our D couldnt completely shut down a 5th round rookie with a grand total of 1 pass attempts (prior to last nights game) in our house, how will it fare against Rodgers in Lambeau ?

With our weak pass rush, Rodgers, Driver and Jennings should put on a clinic Monday night. I dont have a good feeling. Good thing its an out of conference game.

Papa,

I concur. if our D couldnt completely shut down a 5th round rookie with a grand total of 1 pass attempts (prior to last nights game) in our house, how will it fare against Rodgers in Lambeau ?

With our weak pass rush, Rodgers, Driver and Jennings should put on a clinic Monday night. I dont have a good feeling. Good thing its an out of conference game.

This is what everyone though about Manning and the Colts. Knowing that we are outmatched in the secondary, we need to implement a bend but don't break philosophy. Hold in the redzone, and we are in it. Just because Rodgers gets big passing yards, doesn't automatically mean they win.

Our O showed some signs of life yesterday, for the first time in a couple weeks. We have to protect the ball a bit better, cut down on the penalties, and protect Flacco better. Kampman and Harris are both out for Green Bay, so that should help.

Defensively, we'll be able to get to Rodgers, the O-line is the worst in the league by far. Everyone is getting pressure on Rodgers. Our secondary has played well since the bye and especially since Webb has become more involved. Grant should not be able to run on us.

Its going to be a tough game, especially at lambeau, but I don't think its an automatic loss under any circumstances.

Yeah that strong D that Landry can bring. There are guys on this team who simply have no business being here.

Do you even enjoy being a Ravens fan? All you do is bash the team and according to you we never have a chance to win. I don't understand how there are Ravens fans that cannot even enjoy a win against the Steelers. As for Landry, he played very well last night, and the week before against the Colts. These guys are not giving a lazy effort, our team has played their heart out the past few weeks. The bottom line is that we have been in every single game this season right down to the end, why should that change this week? I will take my chances knowing we have a chance to win it in the end.

Honestly... the Pack doesn't scare me that much.

I'm not saying I see a win... I'm not saying we will win... none of that... but they just don't scare me.

They've won 3 in a row... two at home against decent teams (Dallas and San Francisco) ... and then they beat the Lions. None of that scares me.

And then I look back and see that they lost two consecutive leading into their current streak... giving up 38 points a piece to the Vikes and Bucs. THE BUCS!

If our offense can get it in gear, I like our chances. And honestly, I like our chances of putting the offense in gear.

Defensively? Despite all the holes and flaws... the numbers tell a very clear story. We are giving up 17 points a game. That's less than the Steelers and the Packers right now. Period. Cliche, but the "bend, don't break" philosophy is working.

Our problems right now are as big on offense as they are on defense. But I have plenty of faith we can put the O in gear... just run it down their f'n throats. :)

• Upvote 1

Yea you can't get wrapped up in the stats for the Packers - they have only played 4 games against teams that currently have a winning record and have lost 3.

I still think we will have a tough time with the Pack but I think we can win

\

On defense we need to get pressure on Rodgers. He is one of the most sacked QB in the league. If we cannot get pressure on him, he will tear us up as the guy simply does not throw INTs. Our blitzes last night were not bad, Pittsburgh just picked them up perfectly. Mattison needs to continue to step his game up. Ryan Grant is very average, I believe we will shut their run game down. But Rodgers does not need a run game to be effective, that is why pressure on defense is key.

I think the problem with Mattison's blitzes are that he doesn't disguise them well. It seems to me he just sends bodies crashing into the offensive line. No stunts and little attempts to confuse like Dick Lebeau's D yesterday or Rex's defenses.

I thought Mattison's blitzes last night were a lot better than usual. This time we actually had our blitzes timed, instead of giving them away like usual. I saw a lot of fake blitzing, guys coming up, then backing off. I saw a lot of checking out where if the Steelers did go on a hard count and we gave away our blitz, we checked out. However, the Steelers were just well prepared. I would like to think those blitzes would have worked on a poor offensive line like the Packers, but I guess we will find out.

BTW, it's probably pointless to talk about the playoffs, the Saints are going to win the Super Bowl. They are playing UNREAL right now.

I agree on Mattison's blitzes, we just got picked up most of the time.

And the Saints are ridiculous, but you never know in the NFL. All it takes is for Brees to get planted awkwardly on the throwing shoulder or something, and they'd be in serious jeopardy.

One stat for sure is dead wrong, Packers is not the best defense in this league. They have given up 21 passing TDs, that is not a good defense. Never have I seen the leagues best defense with 21 passing TDs.. and this is only after 11 games. Only in two seasons Ravens have give up more passing TDs than 21.. in 1996 and 2007 both seasons 27 TDs and 16 games.. GB is on the track to 30 TDs.

Best offense they have been playing all year beat them up twice(Vikes), then their D had one good game against Dallas at home.. They gave up 38 points and lost to the 29th offense Bucs not really impressing.. besides that their wins was against the leagues best offenses 23th, 24th, 26thx2, 28th, and then the Browns.

Come on gang, quit giving Dixon all this credit..The news that he would be the starter didn't get released until Saturday afternoon. What possible tape did the Ravens have on him to prepare? NONE...I guarantee if Dixon plays in the rematch we'll be better prepared..

I mean 12/26 145 yards a 60 passer rating is nothing to write home about.

Come on gang, quit giving Dixon all this credit..The news that he would be the starter didn't get released until Saturday afternoon. What possible tape did the Ravens have on him to prepare? NONE...I guarantee if Dixon plays in the rematch we'll be better prepared..

I mean 12/26 145 yards a 60 passer rating is nothing to write home about.

Good point Crav. Time to move on to the Pack and Rodgers and entirely different QB play (compared to Dixon).

One stat for sure is dead wrong, Packers is not the best defense in this league. They have given up 21 passing TDs, that is not a good defense. Never have I seen the leagues best defense with 21 passing TDs.. and this is only after 11 games. Only in two seasons Ravens have give up more passing TDs than 21.. in 1996 and 2007 both seasons 27 TDs and 16 games.. GB is on the track to 30 TDs.

Best offense they have been playing all year beat them up twice(Vikes), then their D had one good game against Dallas at home.. They gave up 38 points and lost to the 29th offense Bucs not really impressing.. besides that their wins was against the leagues best offenses 23th, 24th, 26thx2, 28th, and then the Browns.

Yardage wise (which is the common measurement for determining the best offense and defense) the Packers give up the fewest yards a game at 281.5. So technically they have the best defense in the league. While they have given up 21 passing TDs, they have 18 INTs. They play a lot of bump and run single coverage, so there are plays to be made in the passing game, but there is just as much of a chance for turning the ball over. The Packers lead the NFL with a take-away/give-away ratio of +17.