ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

AFC North: Is It As Bad As It Seems?

deeshopper

Does the AFC North really suck, or is it just an illusion?

Since the inception of the AFC North in 2002, its teams have won three superbowls. When a team has won, the following season has been a clunker. Take note:

The 2005 Steelers went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl. The following year, they went 8-8.

The 2008 Steelers went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl. The following year, they went 9-7.

The 2012 Ravens went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl. So far this year, they are 4-5.

The record books show that these two AFC North teams have been competitive since the division's inception. Baltimore has had only four losing seasons since 2002. The Steelers have had just one.

Meanwhile, though the Bengals have recorded just four losing seasons in that same time period, they only also have four winning seasons. In the three remaining seasons, they finished 8-8. Dragging down the division, the Browns have had only two winning seasons.

So, is the AFC North really as bad as it seems? I don't believe so. I believe the combination of the Ravens and Steelers having bad seasons at the same time is what is causing the division to look terrible.

It should be noted that after a losing season (2002, 2005, 2007), the Ravens have recorded winning seasons the following year (2003, 2006, 2008), but losing in the playoffs (wildcard, division, and conference games, respectively). Likewise, after notching a losing season in 2003, the Steelers went to the playoffs and lost in the wildcard game in 2004. And, after an 8-8 season in 2006, the Steelers lost again the wildcard game in 2007.

So, I write all of that to show that the Ravens, like the Steelers, have shown a consistency in winning and recovering from bad seasons. All may not be as bad as it seems.

With the Ravens and the Stealers you have 2 well run and well coached teams. They are reloading this year but should be no fun for anybody to play next year. I do think the Steelers may need another year or 2 reloading to get back to their previous level of performance. They might onl;y be a .500 team next year. If the Ravens don't find a runner they will be a .500 team. Ozzie will stop the bleeding.

There is a lot of talent on the Browns and Bengals. who knows, by next year they could hit stride and the AFC North might be the baddest division in the NFL.

Here's another thought, AFCN has a distinct play style from the entirety of all the other divisions. To a team we play try to play run first, super strong defense. Goodell and cronies are doing their best to kill that style of play, how viable will we be in the future continuing down that path.

Here's another thought, AFCN has a distinct play style from the entirety of all the other divisions. To a team we play try to play run first, super strong defense. Goodell and cronies are doing their best to kill that style of play, how viable will we be in the future continuing down that path.

Excellent question.

The NFL is doing it's best to take defense out of the game, to stop the smash mouth physical style of play that the AFC North is famous for.

I think it will be viable. Most teams can't hang with it.