ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cutler

Money

Now that he's done, McKown probably walks. Its a pipe dream, but Id love to see us grab him as a Flacco backup.

The prospects of going into yet another year with Tyrod as the only backup gives me the shakes. :scared:

Actually I heard Mckown was contemplating retirement.

I think the contracts are crap - but it's not the money or the player, it's the length. Numbers on contracts are going up and always will (like the cap) so long as the league keeps increasing revenue.

Now, of course we know the math works so the biggest cap hits come much later in the contracts and they get dumped or restructured - but locking guys in for 7 years is what's lunacy.

The contract length is also what's pushing up salaries. Cutler is only so valuable compared to a league of good QBs. But he's not up against every QB in the league - he knows the Bears are looking at him or... Well, who knows, but it's not Peyton or Brady. Long contracts take players off the market, making good look great when they are the only option left. Silly, but the Bears are certainly saying "what other choice do we have?"

This contract is rediculous. At most I would pay Cutler $15 mil a yr. This contract is assinine.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead 2014 22,500,000 - - 22,500,000 38,000,000 2015 15,500,000 - - 15,500,000 15,500,000 2016 16,000,000 - - 16,000,000 10,000,000 2017 12,500,000 - 2,500,000 15,000,000 - 2018 13,500,000 - 2,500,000 16,000,000 - 2019 17,500,000 - 2,500,000 20,000,000 - 2020 19,200,000 - 2,500,000 21,700,000

And it is a bad deal too. Just because everyone is moronic you should not follow them. The NFL does new things. The Ravens should be the smart ones and lead to not getting into bad contracts.

Yeah. All NFL GMs are morons and you're the smart one. :nono:

Since the Ravens won with Dilfer, Super Bowls have been won with the following QBs:

Brady *3

Ben *2

Peyton

Eli *2

Brees

Rodgers

Flacco

I'm thinking having a franchise QB is sorta important in today's game (and they don't grow on trees).

Like it or not, when someone signs a contact it has an effect on the contacts of other comparable players in the league. If a team rejects those comparables and low balls players (from the players view) then I think the effect would quickly be seen on the field.

The NFL is making money hand over fist so why shouldn't the players be paid more? I think the real problem is that the cap is too low for the amount of revenue being generated. The GM's and owners need to apprise the league of that. The amount of TV revenue is insane.

Old82 - I generally agree, but technically the system is set up like this (to my knowledge).

The CBA's that are renegotiated every few years between the teams/league and the players associations include discussions how making sure the wealth is spread appropriately. To my knowledge, the cap numbers as well as minimum numbers for vets, etc are tied to percentages of league revenue. As I remember it, last time the CBA was due to be discussed (not long ago given the big hold out, was that just 2012?) one sticking point was that "percentage of revenue" that players deserved. My understanding was that NFL players were getting less than MLB and NBA players on average and wanted to at least be in the same ballpark.

Regardless, in the end I think you are right - in many ways the $$ doesn't matter so much as the time debt the teams are locking themselves into.

Old82 - I generally agree, but technically the system is set up like this (to my knowledge).

The CBA's that are renegotiated every few years between the teams/league and the players associations include discussions how making sure the wealth is spread appropriately. To my knowledge, the cap numbers as well as minimum numbers for vets, etc are tied to percentages of league revenue. As I remember it, last time the CBA was due to be discussed (not long ago given the big hold out, was that just 2012?) one sticking point was that "percentage of revenue" that players deserved. My understanding was that NFL players were getting less than MLB and NBA players on average and wanted to at least be in the same ballpark.

Regardless, in the end I think you are right - in many ways the $$ doesn't matter so much as the time debt the teams are locking themselves into.

Yup. I think it's becoming a real problem in the league. It really needs to be addressed.

The NFL is making money hand over fist so why shouldn't the players be paid more? I think the real problem is that the cap is too low for the amount of revenue being generated. The GM's and owners need to apprise the league of that. The amount of TV revenue is insane.

One position should not be eating up so much cap. You notice how Elvis signed a crap deal. The QB is devaluing other positions.

It's all relative when you look at market value. In Free Agency players are looking to sign with the team who will play them the highest amount in the FA market.

So even if you up the CAP $50 mill, some team will pay ridiculous money for Arthur Jones, Paul Kruger, Ellerbe ect. For a solid/franchise QB the price will remain ridiculous (and of course, negatively impact the money available to retain good players ).

So...CAP jail will always exist and many teams will dwell there.

I propose a CAP freeze and use the savings on the fans in reduced ticket prices, parking, concessions and merchandise.

What do you think are my odds of the NFL granting this request?

It's all relative when you look at market value. In Free Agency players are looking to sign with the team who will play them the highest amount in the FA market.

So even if you up the CAP $50 mill, some team will pay ridiculous money for Arthur Jones, Paul Kruger, Ellerbe ect. For a solid/franchise QB the price will remain ridiculous (and of course, negatively impact the money available to retain good players ).

So...CAP jail will always exist and many teams will dwell there.

I propose a CAP freeze and use the savings on the fans in reduced ticket prices, parking, concessions and merchandise.

What do you think are my odds of the NFL granting this request?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ken.weinman/posts/10152111729309717?comment_id=29044362&offset=0&total_comments=114&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

We have been debating this. If the feds make the NFL get rid of the blackouts then prices will come down.