ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cap and FA Situation

vmax

Wilson put up a good article today...

With 46 players under contract for next season, the Ravens are roughly $12 million under a projected salary cap limit of $126.3 million for 2014. Their cap figure remains fluid because they have yet to retain restricted free agents and exclusive-rights free agents, cut players under contract or sign any of their own free agents....Ideally, the Ravens would like to have even more salary cap space to try to retain key free agents such as left tackle Eugene Monroe, tight end Dennis Pitta, middle linebacker Daryl Smith and defensive tackle Arthur Jones.
Those four are expected to be the Ravens' primary negotiating priorities, though the franchise is aware Jones might be too expensive to keep after a strong season

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-salary-cap-0105-20140104,0,672511.story?page=2&track=rss#ixzz2pXXRDX7l

He goes on to explain the CAP implication of cutting Rice, Ngata and Suggs and why they have to retain Ngata and Rice. He lists other players who probably will be cut for cap/performance reasons.

All in all, the front office has hard decisions to make, but the Ravens are not that bad off for this years cap because they made the right, hard choices last year. They refused to restructure last year and that is a huge help moving forward to field a competitive roster.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pita & Jones would be my major :have to keep" players, the others eh..... Monroe is a decent back up, Smith, frankly at his age, the money should work, not many, if any teams will offer much more and he likes it here..... Suggs, nice knowing you, but the frelancing lately has cost the team and the sacks, while nice, rarely came when the team needed them most.....

The varying cap numbers might have to do with differing estimates on the upcoming cap vs using last year's cap number.

Also, I am encouraged in reading that Ray Rice is only 26. Isn't a running back supposed to be in their prime 27-28? I still worry little about Rice and far more about the line that was in front of him.

It was wild watching the games yesterday and seeing QBs with 3-4 seconds consistently (sometimes so much more!) and RBs with huge holes and gaps. Just wild.

The varying cap numbers might have to do with differing estimates on the upcoming cap vs using last year's cap number.

Also, I am encouraged in reading that Ray Rice is only 26. Isn't a running back supposed to be in their prime 27-28? I still worry little about Rice and far more about the line that was in front of him.

It was wild watching the games yesterday and seeing QBs with 3-4 seconds consistently (sometimes so much more!) and RBs with huge holes and gaps. Just wild.

And again today. Our O-line really needs help and our coaching on the offense needs major improvement. Our offense is pathetic compared to the teams in the playoffs this year. All you have to do is watch the games to see the huge difference. Flacco needs to step it up too.

No RB's are at their primes when they get in the league. They die on the vine quickly. His skills are eroding. I think next yr might be a little better but not much.

Maybe its changed, but I'm pretty sure from Tomlinson to Peterson, RBs have historically been at their best (numbers wise) in seasons 27-28. Sure it's different for every player individually, but it's also be unfair to say they are at their prime age 22-24.

It isn't the years so much as the number of touches. Just look at the backs to break 2000 yards. All but one did nothing afterward, and he only had one more really good year of close to 1600 yards, the rest barely broke 1000 for a year or two then nothing. 300 touches a year is usually the bench mark for when a rb is ready to go down hill, after a few seasons like that, they are shot.

Rice is a little different given his size and while the line was a great deal as to why his numbers went down, he also went down easy, couldn't make men miss as he did last year. To eat the cap now or wait until after next season is the only question. Since you have to pay that money any way, may as well keep him and see what he can do with a better line.

It isn't the years so much as the number of touches. Just look at the backs to break 2000 yards. All but one did nothing afterward, and he only had one more really good year of close to 1600 yards, the rest barely broke 1000 for a year or two then nothing. 300 touches a year is usually the bench mark for when a rb is ready to go down hill, after a few seasons like that, they are shot.

Rice is a little different given his size and while the line was a great deal as to why his numbers went down, he also went down easy, couldn't make men miss as he did last year. To eat the cap now or wait until after next season is the only question. Since you have to pay that money any way, may as well keep him and see what he can do with a better line.

When he had the ball in his hand in the open field he had no movement. That is fro fast twitch going away.

He's lost a step, lost what little punch he had, and had trouble staying upright. He also had numerous missed pass blocking assignments.

I see him primarily as a backup now.

He's been good for the city and organization so I don't want to see him scrap-heaped but if he doesn't retire at the end of 2014 we may not have a choice.

The average career for an NFL running back is like 4 years. I'm not blasting Joe here but ray rice carried your offense for awhile and I think it's catching up to him. I said it before the season and was blasted for it but if you consider he was averaging like 35 touches a game for what 6 years now that's going to wear you down.

It appears as if the strategy now with RBs is to draft them from the 2nd round onwards, use them for 4 years, franchise them for a year and then dump them. There is no need to tie up big $ in them anymore. I'm hoping that Ray will be the last RB we ever pay big money to. The money would be better spent on the O-Line.

If Evans falls to us we have to take this guy, but i agree o-line should be addressed if he doesn't, 6-5 225 with hands is hard to pass up. centers are not that highly valued , you still can get one of the best centers in the draft in the 2nd round. we'll sign monroe and i think Wagner would win the rt spot. just my early off-season thoughts

The average career for an NFL running back is like 4 years. I'm not blasting Joe here but ray rice carried your offense for awhile and I think it's catching up to him. I said it before the season and was blasted for it but if you consider he was averaging like 35 touches a game for what 6 years now that's going to wear you down.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/15527-long-average-career-nfl-player/

Overall Average

According the the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. The players left the NFL for a variety of reasons. These include injury, retirement and being cut by their team.

Shortest Careers

The shortest careers among NFL players tends to be those who hit and get hit the most during games and practice. Running backs have the shortest average careers of just 2.57 years.

It appears as if the strategy now with RBs is to draft them from the 2nd round onwards, use them for 4 years, franchise them for a year and then dump them. There is no need to tie up big $ in them anymore. I'm hoping that Ray will be the last RB we ever pay big money to. The money would be better spent on the O-Line.

Except for the franchising this is what I have been saying for yrs. The position is just a dime a dozen plug and play situation. They are not worth investing big money into.

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/mediaItem.html?media-id=796606&media-type=N

Another good cap article. Looks like Leach, McClain, Koch and Suggs are likely to be cut.

As far as getting a WR. IMO we need another quick, speed guy. Marlon Brown can be the big target and redzone threat we need. Remember Marlon was less than a year off of ACL surgery. As an undrafted rookie, he is only going to get better with a full offseason in an NFL weight and film room.

Either get another speed receiver like Sammy Watkins which will allow us to put Torrey in the slot more often to create mismatches, or get a small slot receiver like Andrew Hawkins or Wes Welker. That is what our offense needs!

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/mediaItem.html?media-id=796606&media-type=N

Another good cap article. Looks like Leach, McClain, Koch and Suggs are likely to be cut.

As far as getting a WR. IMO we need another quick, speed guy. Marlon Brown can be the big target and redzone threat we need. Remember Marlon was less than a year off of ACL surgery. As an undrafted rookie, he is only going to get better with a full offseason in an NFL weight and film room.

Either get another speed receiver like Sammy Watkins which will allow us to put Torrey in the slot more often to create mismatches, or get a small slot receiver like Andrew Hawkins or Wes Welker. That is what our offense needs!

The kid from Elon could be just what you are talking about. He was IRed but I bet he learned a lot. Not get some practice going. Agreed on Marlon. I think he will kick ass next season.

Instead of going WR how about a big bodied TE..... Red Zone was horrible for us... Get Pitta and someone else to patrol the middle of the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgY1-xjk4E

Eric Ebron

Agreed here. You need two TE's to mess up the coverages.