ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Michael Sam

Geronimo

They're showing alot of highlights of this guy on mike and mike and he reminds me of Ray Lewis, him wearing 52 and his little celebration after he makes a play has alot to do with it, but he looks like he loves football and is high energy,he lead the SEC in sacks and TFL, he hasn't been in trouble with the law, but none of this is going to matter because he's gay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/ravens-president-disappointed-sams-sexuality-is-such-a-big-issue/

Ravens president “disappointed” Sam’s sexuality is “such a big issue”

At this point, it probably would be easier to list the teams that haven’t issued a statement regarding former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam.

All have been positive, or at least neutral. While we want to be fair to the various teams that have taken the time to issue statements, there’s a cookie-cutter quality that has caused us (and likely you) to glaze over. So we’re now looking for something different in the statements, and the statement from the Ravens had exactly the kind of different we wanted.

I’m disappointed it is such a big issue in 2014,” Ravens president Dick Cass said, via the team’s official website.

While Cass also said the various other things that other teams are saying about Sam, Cass is right. It shouldn’t be such a big issue.

But it is, because Sam is the first gay NFL player to choose to acknowledge his sexuality. Eventually, it won’t be an issue, whether it’s the fifth player or the 10th player or the 50th player to come out. To get there, however, there had to be a first player.

Hopefully, Sam’s decision won’t result in increased pressure on other gay players to follow suit. As we explained last year, when it appeared that a faction of straight players were determined to persuade multiple gay players to come out, it is every gay player’s right to choose to keep his sexuality to himself.

While many have applauded Sam for being courageous, choosing not to come out doesn’t make a gay player a coward. It’s part of who the player is, and we hope that Sam’s decision won’t be used by those with an agenda to pressure others to follow suit based on notions of solidarity or bravery.

He is nothing like Lewis, in fact, he will be lucky to make an NFL roster. There are a few thousand players with his talent and skill level, a 3rd round pick at best before the announcement and that was if he timed well and caught the eye of some one. If not, likely a later round pick. Now, who knows, could this be his way of trying to force a team to draft him? Similar to that basketball player for the Wizzards a year or so ago, claiming no one would sign him because he was gay. except, of course, the truth was, he stunk.....

No. If he is drafted 3-4th round area he should make the roster unless he sucks out loud. He was pretty damned good in the SEC.

There were a lot of really good players in the SEC who are not good enough or just average in the NFL. I watched a ton of Mizzu games over the years, he was not very consistant and doesn't have many moves as a rush end. Not very good in coverage either....

He is nothing like Lewis, in fact, he will be lucky to make an NFL roster. There are a few thousand players with his talent and skill level, a 3rd round pick at best before the announcement and that was if he timed well and caught the eye of some one. If not, likely a later round pick. Now, who knows, could this be his way of trying to force a team to draft him? Similar to that basketball player for the Wizzards a year or so ago, claiming no one would sign him because he was gay. except, of course, the truth was, he stunk.....

I guess thats one way of looking at it. It seemed to me he came out before the draft so the drafting team would not be surprised and unknowingly drawn into a contoversy. I dont know him, but he seems like a decent guy in interviews so I dont know whether I think this was a ploy to get drafted whereas he might not before. I still think it will hurt his stock more.

As I dont watch college football I have no knowledge of his talent level, so I cannot comment on where I think he would or should be drafted. I will say I pretty much could care less about anyone's sexual preference.

I guess thats one way of looking at it. It seemed to me he came out before the draft so the drafting team would not be surprised and unknowingly drawn into a contoversy. I dont know him, but he seems like a decent guy in interviews so I dont know whether I think this was a ploy to get drafted whereas he might not before. I still think it will hurt his stock more.

As I dont watch college football I have no knowledge of his talent level, so I cannot comment on where I think he would or should be drafted. I will say I pretty much could care less about anyone's sexual preference.

Most teams don't careabout sexuality either. Their issue, if we want to call it that, is the circus that comes with it. Not just the normal media and thier questions either, now you will have to listen to the likes of local tv media, today show and their ilk, opie and her's, opine on this and question he players/ team execs.

Incidentally, it is also why Tebow will not get another shot in the NFL, not because he is gay, nor because of his average talent, but because of the circus that comes with his spirituality.

But the media will not say that, they will jump on the; Sams wasn't drafted or was drafted too low, or cut because he is gay bandwagon.

There were a lot of really good players in the SEC who are not good enough or just average in the NFL. I watched a ton of Mizzu games over the years, he was not very consistant and doesn't have many moves as a rush end. Not very good in coverage either....

Yeah plenty of SEC guys have sucked. But if they are good there they do get some time to prove they suck or are good in the NFL. If you are drafted in the middle rounds you are almost 100% going to make the roster.

I read that some teams were asking around about if he has a girlfriend or has he been seen dating women. So his saying something maybe a pre-emptive way to be infront of it getting into the press anyway.

Most teams don't careabout sexuality either. Their issue, if we want to call it that, is the circus that comes with it. Not just the normal media and thier questions either, now you will have to listen to the likes of local tv media, today show and their ilk, opie and her's, opine on this and question he players/ team execs.

Incidentally, it is also why Tebow will not get another shot in the NFL, not because he is gay, nor because of his average talent, but because of the circus that comes with his spirituality.

But the media will not say that, they will jump on the; Sams wasn't drafted or was drafted too low, or cut because he is gay bandwagon.

I'm not sure I agree with teams not caring. Sure they want to avoid the circus that will follow this player for a while but I also think there is still a predominant thought that gays don't being in sports.

Also, I think Tebow's talent is the main factor. There are plenty of vocal religious players in the league and have been for a long time. Reggie White, Jim Harbaugh, Kurt Warner etc. I'm sure someone that paid attention to those things could name more.

If Tebow was open to playing a different position I think someone would pick him up. He says he doesn't want to. Maybe he says that so when he doesn't play he can blame it on an antichristian bias.

j/k ......mostly

If there are a few thousand why is he being touted as a 3-5 round pick, a few thousand players haven't lead the sec in sacks and TFL, and i didn't say he was like Lewis, i said from the highlights i've seen, him wearing 52 and the way he celebrates reminds me of Lewis, you're a boldfaced liar again. C'mon man if i said the sky was blue you would LIE and say it was pink just to disagree. If you're going to be a contrarian to my posts at least don't be a liar about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, take the combine with a grain of salt, but his results are closer to 6th, 7th round draft pick if at all,,,,,, Maybe his proday will improve things, I doubt it... Now the excuses come out, pardon the pun- he was too distracted from all the interviews about being gay..... yeah sure, tape doesn't lie.... against poor teams he did well, against good teams he was a no show....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, take the combine with a grain of salt, but his results are closer to 6th, 7th round draft pick if at all,,,,,, Maybe his proday will improve things, I doubt it... Now the excuses come out, pardon the pun- he was too distracted from all the interviews about being gay..... yeah sure, tape doesn't lie.... against poor teams he did well, against good teams he was a no show....

Exactly, and I don't care what society deems acceptable, these pro football players are predominantly Macho Men, Alpha Males, and it ain't gonna go over so easily in that locker room as it is in today's social realm.....To quote the warden in Cool Hand Luke "It's gonna be a Hawrd Day"...lol

• Downvote 1