ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

No tag for Monroe

RavenousBG

Well...sources are reporting that Oakland offered Veldheer 5 years for $55 million. $23 million guaranteed. He's apparently taking the weekend to think about it. If this is indeed correct, does anyone want to take a guess at the starting point for Monroe? Does anyone think he'll be happy with 6 years for $52 million?

This is how it starts, we have to do better then that contract or we will be left scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for a LT

I will say it again, you are not getting a LT of Monroe's caliber for $7.5m and your valuation is way off. The market was set last year with Jake Long at $8.5m per season. Monroe marginally outperformed Long last season. Monroe also had to go through being traded midseason and the upheaval that came with the move and learning a new playbook.

Additionally the cap has increased by 8% and all players will look for a pay increase over previous season's contracts.

Therefore, market value for Monroe has been set at somewhere between $9 and $9.5 million per season. My guess is someone will overpay him to the tune of $10m+ because he is the top available Free Agent O-Lineman. If he will accept 9-9.5 then he could be a Raven.

Nope. Do you think we should pay up? I don't think we should but we will see. We are talking 5 yrs 60 mil if he values himself as the best of the class.

Miami has made it clear that Monroe is their guy. They will outbid the Ravens. This is exactly why I wanted him tagged. LT was been a revolving door and huge problem for us since Ogden. Monroe was our chance to gain some stability at the position and we blew it in my mind. Monroe may not be an "elite" LT, but he's definitely top 10 (and still has some of his best years ahead of him). He is very dependable and a high character individual. The Ravens never draft high enough to take care of the LT position through the draft. I thought the trade was brilliant when they got Monroe, but now it seems like a waste.

If they go through FA, they will "overpay" for someone. Maybe they pay a little less for Albert and a little less than that for Collins, but you get what you pay for. Albert can't stay on the field and Collins has been a backup for most of his career.

My prediction? They sign a veteran RT (Winston/Strief) and veteran C through free agency. They bring back Oher as the LT and Zach Martin now becomes target #1 in the 1st round of the draft. My dream of a Flacco to Mike Evans connection keeps fading more and more.

I will say it again, you are not getting a LT of Monroe's caliber for $7.5m and your valuation is way off. The market was set last year with Jake Long at $8.5m per season. Monroe marginally outperformed Long last season. Monroe also had to go through being traded midseason and the upheaval that came with the move and learning a new playbook.

Additionally the cap has increased by 8% and all players will look for a pay increase over previous season's contracts.

Therefore, market value for Monroe has been set at somewhere between $9 and $9.5 million per season. My guess is someone will overpay him to the tune of $10m+ because he is the top available Free Agent O-Lineman. If he will accept 9-9.5 then he could be a Raven.

It's okay that we disagree. But get my ideas correct. I said what I thought and where I would start. 7.5 and I agreed with you that we wouldn't get him at that. I say 9 is the threshold. But that's my opinion. If we sign him for 9.5 I would be unhappy with the amount. But I'm a fan so I accept. But to keep insinuating that I think we can sign him for what I think he's worth is not what I expressed.

I don't think this guy makes or breaks us and you do. That's fine. I just don't see him that way as a player so to give him 10+ mil a yr is getting near 10% of the cap. So you think he's that important or good? If you do, you go ahead and beat that drum but I can't dance to that music. Agree to disagree

Miami has made it clear that Monroe is their guy. They will outbid the Ravens. This is exactly why I wanted him tagged. LT was been a revolving door and huge problem for us since Ogden. Monroe was our chance to gain some stability at the position and we blew it in my mind. Monroe may not be an "elite" LT, but he's definitely top 10 (and still has some of his best years ahead of him). He is very dependable and a high character individual. The Ravens never draft high enough to take care of the LT position through the draft. I thought the trade was brilliant when they got Monroe, but now it seems like a waste.

If they go through FA, they will "overpay" for someone. Maybe they pay a little less for Albert and a little less than that for Collins, but you get what you pay for. Albert can't stay on the field and Collins has been a backup for most of his career.

My prediction? They sign a veteran RT (Winston/Strief) and veteran C through free agency. They bring back Oher as the LT and Zach Martin now becomes target #1 in the 1st round of the draft. My dream of a Flacco to Mike Evans connection keeps fading more and more.

Lol! Evans became a pipe dream when he ran that 4.53 40. We'd have to trade up no matter if we sign Monroe or not. Monroe is going to get massively overpaid it seems.

So they draft the LT and being a rookie they get production cheaply.

Lol! Evans became a pipe dream when he ran that 4.53 40. We'd have to trade up no matter if we sign Monroe or not. Monroe is going to get massively overpaid it seems.

I'm not entirely convinced...though Evans' combine performance certainly was the beginning of my dream fading. My hope was that with this draft being so WR deep, teams might choose to address other needs (at positions not near as draft deep) and pass on WR in the 1st. There are still a few mocks that have Evans slipping to our pick. May is still a long way off. Things are always changing.

Monroe is going to get a lot of money. I think the LT market and raises in the salary cap over the next couple of years will make his deal look pretty darn good in 2016. He certainly won't be considered "overpaid" in a couple of years.

So they draft the LT and being a rookie they get production cheaply.

Sure he's cheap. You are also asking a rookie (who isn't even one of the top rookies) to protect your franchise QB, who you recently placed a significant investment in. This doesn't worry you at all? You have no concern that a rookie might end up being in over his head at THE most important position on the line?

This draft is basically everything deep. You have 6 pretty good QB's, a ton of WR's, a bunch of really good RB's, both lines are steller, DB's are deep. I think it was 70+ underclassman in this draft. Unless a complete dolt is making the picks (Jerry Jones) you should come out of this much better than going in. There will be some real keepers as UFA's. There will be so many vets on the street by week 1.

Sure he's cheap. You are also asking a rookie (who isn't even one of the top rookies) to protect your franchise QB, who you recently placed a significant investment in. This doesn't worry you at all? You have no concern that a rookie might end up being in over his head at THE most important position on the line?

Yes I am. Monroe was no big stud. He was good. Get a solid kid in there and coach him up.

I'm not entirely convinced...though Evans' combine performance certainly was the beginning of my dream fading. My hope was that with this draft being so WR deep, teams might choose to address other needs (at positions not near as draft deep) and pass on WR in the 1st. There are still a few mocks that have Evans slipping to our pick. May is still a long way off. Things are always changing.

Monroe is going to get a lot of money. I think the LT market and raises in the salary cap over the next couple of years will make his deal look pretty darn good in 2016. He certainly won't be considered "overpaid" in a couple of years.

Hmmmm maybe. It depends and those cap projections are still just projections. But if it really does jump like that then you might be right but I try not to base too much on projections and what I'm not sure of. And I know, regardless of my threshold point, the Ravens have one too.

Money, IF those projections come true then 10 mill a yr isn't much to worry about but it's a huge if. It's a scary if. 2015 projections could be wrong and the cap goes to 133 and then 140. That's a whole different deal if you based 2014 signings on a 145 and 160 cap in future yrs. it could hurt, badly.

Money, IF those projections come true then 10 mill a yr isn't much to worry about but it's a huge if. It's a scary if. 2015 projections could be wrong and the cap goes to 133 and then 140. That's a whole different deal if you based 2014 signings on a 145 and 160 cap in future yrs. it could hurt, badly.

The people making these projections know what they are talking about. I don't know the in's and out's, but it all revolves around the new TV deals that kick in this year. It was always predicted that the cap would remain stagnant for a couple years before seeing significant increases. They aren't just throwing darts while blindfolded. These increases will happen.

I understand that. I figure the big jump came from CBS getting the Thur games. Just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I agree here. Prep for a less than ideal cap jump. I believe it will jump also, but until I get something official, nothing is a sure thing.

Money, so are you saying to sign Monroe at all costs and let the future gains save us from cap destruction

I want him signed for top 8-10 LT money. Where we are on a different page, is what that money looks like. I believe the picture has changed significantly. We are dangerously close to re-signing Oher (at a contract most people will gasp at) to be our LT next year.

I find it interesting how other teams have so little problems getting quality OL.

The Ravens had little problems as well when they picked Ogden with the 4th overall pick. How often have they had a top 5 pick? They certainly have made some very good picks with the other OL positions.