ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

No tag for Monroe

RavenousBG

Talking about the cap going up in the next few years....do you think Ozzie and Cass saw this coming and weren't too worried about Joe's cap hit having a big negative on the team down the road?

It does look better now.

The Ravens had little problems as well when they picked Ogden with the 4th overall pick. How often have they had a top 5 pick? They certainly have made some very good picks with the other OL positions.

Paleassssssssssssseeee!!

That OL with Mule and JO was the 2 of them and losers. Flynn always sucked. Swayne was so far over the hill by the time he got here. Zeus was about washed up when he got back. You did have Brown and Rabach. They were not allowed to stay because of Billicks love affair with Flynn.

• Upvote 1

Talking about the cap going up in the next few years....do you think Ozzie and Cass saw this coming and weren't too worried about Joe's cap hit having a big negative on the team down the road?

It does look better now.

I am sure they expected some adjustments, as we talked about earlier this year, it had to go up to carry the salaries of these star quarterbacks. Even so, you can't build a contract based on what you think the cap might be, that gets you into major trouble. These latest numbers could be correct or they could be off by a few million, they are just speculative right now. With Joe's, Sugg's, Dummervil all taking up serious cap space in the next few years, I hope it does go up that high.

One thing it will do if it does, is help teams like Seattle who have very good young players do for contracts in the next two seasons.

Sea has to much talent to hold it together. They will lose a lot of parts.

True, but the supposed extra cap space will help. Side note, Bill Polian, a man who knows talent, has Albert and, what's his name, the other OT, rated at no more than $6 mil per season with 3 years of guarenteed money. Interesting. He did not have Monroe on his top or even second teir list, atleast not on the show, maybe in print he does....

MHM, many teams plug & play with little to no issues. How many times has the vaunted Ravens defense gone up against a fill tackle, left, and gotten no sacks, no pressures, run over...... many..... :sing:

When you're coming off a season with 45 sacks of our QB, its obvious we dont "plug n play" to well

I want him signed for top 8-10 LT money. Where we are on a different page, is what that money looks like. I believe the picture has changed significantly. We are dangerously close to re-signing Oher (at a contract most people will gasp at) to be our LT next year.

I done mind Oher back but at RT and for a smaller number than LT money. 8- 10 money for Monroe. If he was a RFA and we were trying to sign him I would bet we could get him at 9 a yr and he'd be happy. Free Agency blew it all out of proportion. That's why homegrown talent is best.

Absolutely do not want Oher at LT. We've already been there and it didn't work. Plus, the guy himself prefers RT.

We'd be better off picking up a LT through FA after the big signings are done, Also, Rick Wagner may be ready for prime time at RT.

The Ravens had little problems as well when they picked Ogden with the 4th overall pick. How often have they had a top 5 pick? They certainly have made some very good picks with the other OL positions.

yeah constantly picking at the end of the draft is going to eventually catch up to you.

Blow the whole line up and let Kubs/Castillo rebuild it. MIA will overpay for Monroe. Oher's should only be back if he takes backup money.

People are throwing out the word "overpay" left and right, but I don't know what this is based on. If it's based on contracts that were signed during the last couple of years when the cap has been stagnant, it's based on outdated information. $320 million of extra money to spend in free agency this year. Even the most conservative estimates of the cap increases in 2015 and 2016 have close to another $1 billion being added to the pool. Salaries across the board will be going up and going up significantly. These are new rules. If Ozzie is still playing by the old rules, we will be left behind. As overpaid as some people feel Pitta was...he only counts a little over $3 million this year. The Ravens have $25 million in available cap space right now. Where do people think we should be spending this money if not at LT. Besides that...Veldheer was offered $11 million per year. Albert is looking for between $11-12 million per year. Where's the bargain? Miami isn't the only team desperate for a LT. Arizona and Carolina are as well. Oakland will be too if Veldheer doesn't accept their offer. Think about that...Veldheer was offered $11 million per year and he hasn't even accepted the offer yet.

BTW...whether he's signed by us or another team...people are going to flip out when they see how much Oher makes.

I don't dislike Oher. He's a versatile RT. That's value. But he isn't top tier. Everyone is going to get paid if they hadn't signed already. free agency is the bonanza. Overpaid is thrown out because later when you can't get a player you want because you have no money and your team is 8-8 or 9-7 you start thinking about who you paid too much. That's why it's being said Money. I don't know who we're going to pay but on day one of the season the money will be spent. If we go 9-7, you will hear more about overpaid players .

The whole point of raising the salary cap is to share the revenue with the players. With the raise of the salary cap comes increased salaries (across the board). Saying Monroe doesn't deserve $11 million a year because he isn't a top 5 LT is flawed thinking with the cap increases. $11 million a year will no longer touch a top 5 LT in the league. All this being said, maybe Kubiak simply doesn't want Monroe. Monroe was brought in here with the intention of filling the LT hole for the foreseeable future, but that was before Kubiak was in the picture. Maybe Kubiak doesn't place an importance on LT. I'm fine if this is the case, but that isn't about money. That is about offensive philosophy.

Robjr...if they sign Monroe for $12-13 million a year, it does not mean their cap hit will be $12-13 million. They signed Joe for $120 million and his cap hit was $6 million or so last year. They just signed Pitta for $6.5 million a year and his cap hit this year is a little over $3 million. Your scenario would be correct if his money is 100% guaranteed or if they choose to make the contract extremely front-heavy.

The whole point of raising the salary cap is to share the revenue with the players. With the raise of the salary cap comes increased salaries (across the board). Saying Monroe doesn't deserve $11 million a year because he isn't a top 5 LT is flawed thinking with the cap increases. $11 million a year will no longer touch a top 5 LT in the league. All this being said, maybe Kubiak simply doesn't want Monroe. Monroe was brought in here with the intention of filling the LT hole for the foreseeable future, but that was before Kubiak was in the picture. Maybe Kubiak doesn't place an importance on LT. I'm fine if this is the case, but that isn't about money. That is about offensive philosophy.

Robjr...if they sign Monroe for $12-13 million a year, it does not mean their cap hit will be $12-13 million. They signed Joe for $120 million and his cap hit was $6 million or so last year. They just signed Pitta for $6.5 million a year and his cap hit this year is a little over $3 million. Your scenario would be correct if his money is 100% guaranteed or if they choose to make the contract extremely front-heavy.

no coach doesn't value the LT. That is the single most important spot on the line.

BTW...whether he's signed by us or another team...people are going to flip out when they see how much Oher makes.

I don't think so, he has a reputation he's the most penalized tackle over the past 4 years. I bet he tests the market and gets no bites. Oher is probably coming back on the cheaps.

MHM, many teams plug & play with little to no issues. How many times has the vaunted Ravens defense gone up against a fill tackle, left, and gotten no sacks, no pressures, run over...... many..... :sing:

Yeah no kidding.

People are throwing out the word "overpay" left and right, but I don't know what this is based on. If it's based on contracts that were signed during the last couple of years when the cap has been stagnant, it's based on outdated information. $320 million of extra money to spend in free agency this year. Even the most conservative estimates of the cap increases in 2015 and 2016 have close to another $1 billion being added to the pool. Salaries across the board will be going up and going up significantly. These are new rules. If Ozzie is still playing by the old rules, we will be left behind. As overpaid as some people feel Pitta was...he only counts a little over $3 million this year. The Ravens have $25 million in available cap space right now. Where do people think we should be spending this money if not at LT. Besides that...Veldheer was offered $11 million per year. Albert is looking for between $11-12 million per year. Where's the bargain? Miami isn't the only team desperate for a LT. Arizona and Carolina are as well. Oakland will be too if Veldheer doesn't accept their offer. Think about that...Veldheer was offered $11 million per year and he hasn't even accepted the offer yet.

The cap goes up for everyone. Everyone will have more money to sign with.

The cap goes up for everyone. Everyone will have more money to sign with.

Yet, you think salaries will remain stagnant and you can use contracts of the last couple years to establish a player's worth in the current market?

No I am just saying that like so many who see this increase in the cap I don't think you can go out and spend like a drunken sailor. I see people tallking about it like the Ravens are the only ones getting the money.

Of course not, but you do need to understand that the landscape has changed. You can't place 2011-2013 player/contract values on 2014 players. Where you slot them doesn't change, but the cost of each slot level has increased. My frustration is with people saying Monroe doesn't deserve top 5 money, when the figures we are talking about isn't top 5 money anymore.