ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

90 yards passing

vmax

But on a day when he was asleep at the wheel, at least Joe didn't commit the costly and fatal turnover.

Nevertheless...Joe has to wake up.

The 240 yards rushing was sweet.

Edited by vmax

Guest BallTMore

Horrible day. I also blame Harbaugh for not playing Williams. Clayton is a nice guy, but he is doing nothing to help the team right now. He can't stretch the field as well as Williams. We need Williams to play next week. Clayton and Mason won't cut it running out routes.

Also, thank god for Jamarcus Russell.

Joe, Cam, and the receivers need to do a better job of coming up with plays when the defense blitzes more defenders than we have blockers.

Couldn't agree more.

The way they stacked the box is an OC's dream come true.

However, historically, the Ravens rarely beat it with the big play.

I don't get it.

Horrible day. I also blame Harbaugh for not playing Williams. Clayton is a nice guy, but he is doing nothing to help the team right now. He can't stretch the field as well as Williams. We need Williams to play next week. Clayton and Mason won't cut it running out routes.

Also, thank god for Jamarcus Russell.

Clayton is a wasted starting position.

With Assaguuumahh shutting down Mason this was a great opportunity for Williams to burn that secondary. With the stacked box...a little play action...7!

Guest BallTMore
With Assaguuumahh shutting down Mason this was a great opportunity for Williams to burn that secondary. With the stacked box...a little play action...7!

Yep. Williams must have hit on Jack, Jim, and John's wife. I don't understand why he is in the doghouse. Look at Barnes. He's the only pass rush we have. Sure he whiffs, but at least he rushes the QB into bad decisions.

Schmuck...like everybody here sees the same thing...

Flacco: He ain't right

Maybe I'm imagining things, but Joe Flacco doesn't look right to me. I don't know if the Raiders have put together a great scheme against him or what, but he doesn't seem to have much of a feel for the offense -- or the ball -- though the early minutes of the third quarter....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/

He's taking way too long to get rid of the ball...doesn't seem to be reading the blitz correctly...or has no outlet on the blitz which is even worse...and was not accurate today. He had guys wide open but couldn't make the throw.

Take him off the valuim.

Joe getting the snap from center:

"Hum-De-Dum..the line should give me 10 seconds to throw(Yawn)...ok let's see what we got here...oh well!

Too late to hit Mason...where's Ray? Hum-De-Dum...he's double covered...There's other receivers out there somewhere...

but where?

Schmuck...like everybody here sees the same thing...

He's taking way too long to get rid of the ball...doesn't seem to be reading the blitz correctly...or has no outlet on the blitz which is even worse...and was not accurate today. He had guys wide open but couldn't make the throw.

Take him off the valuim.

Joe getting the snap from center:

"Hum-De-Dum..the line should give me 10 seconds to throw(Yawn)...ok let's see what we got here...oh well!

Too late to hit Mason...where's Ray? Hum-De-Dum...he's double covered...There's other receivers out there somewhere...

but where?

Definitely agree max. It is a combination of a lot of things: receivers not getting off of the press, poor route planning by Cam, and Flacco not releasing the ball quick enough when someone is open. Some plays there was no outlet, other plays Flacco just did not get rid of the ball. I will give Flacco some slack, he knew in a game like this not to turn the ball over, and probably thought it would be better to take the sack than to force anything. But next week that will not be the case. It is pretty pathetic when the defense blitzes more defenders than blockers and one defender in the secondary is able to cover three receivers becaues the receivers are too bunched together in their routes. That needs to change.

As for Clayton being on the field, why does it have to be either Clayton or Williams. At the very least we now have four quality receivers in Mason, Williams, Clayton, and Washington (five if you add Heap). Lets use them all! Four or five wide sets, spread the defense, let Joe make a quick read to counter the blitz. This is what we need to be throwing in there every once and awhile.

As for Clayton being on the field, why does it have to be either Clayton or Williams. At the very least we now have four quality receivers in Mason, Williams, Clayton, and Washington (five if you add Heap). Lets use them all! Four or five wide sets, spread the defense, let Joe make a quick read to counter the blitz. This is what we need to be throwing in there every once and awhile.

Great idea cleetz.

Can Flacco see that many guys in a few seconds?

I don't think so and maybe that's why Cam doesn't do it.

Spreading the D out slows the rush and opens the passing lanes up.

Great idea cleetz.

Can Flacco see that many guys in a few seconds?

I don't think so and maybe that's why Cam doesn't do it.

Spreading the D out slows the rush and opens the passing lanes up.

I certainly think Flacco has the ability, he is a smart guy. He demonstrated the ability to read the field when our offense just let it rip in the first half of the season. We have just been protecting him too much these past few weeks because of our banged up offensive line. There is really no excuse to have only three receivers in a third and seven-plus situation. I understand this week the gameplan was to not turn the ball over and just run the ball. Nevertheless, if we can run the ball next week like we did this week, I have no problem with Flacco not taking any risks.

• Upvote 1

Interesting point from Valkenberg...

He also needs to get the team out of the huddle quicker. This could be Cam Cameron isn't getting him the plays fast enough, but the Ravens really do drag their feet when they're not in the no huddle. I'm starting to think the reason Flacco seems to read the defense better when the Ravens go no huddle is because he actually has a chance to survey the field and guess where the pressure is going to come from as opposed to regular plays where he doesn't get under center until there are 8 seconds on the play clock and he doesn't have enough time to examine the defense. Also, can anyone explain why Mark Clayton immediately went back into the rotation ahead of Demetrius Williams? Makes very little sense right now.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/01/five_things_we_learned_from_the_ravens_win_over_the_raiders.html

Good point on the huddle situation. Today was a day to slow the clock though, so I cannot blame them for that. I trend I have noticed with Flacco is ever since the Green Bay game he has been extra conservative throwing the ball. Maybe he still has that game in the back of his head and is trying extra hard not to turn the ball over. I would rather him go back to the old Joe and try to make some plays.

24 hours latter...I still think Joe wasn't reading the blitz right, was slow and missed his reads on open receivers.

Just a guess...I think he would rather take the sack than force the ball to marginally open receivers...he didn't want to turn the ball over given the way the game was unfolding. The Ravens led all the way and were running well. Only a costly turnover would let the Radiers back into the game.

In Harbaughs press conference he admitted that some guys were open the Joe didn't see and those would have been big plays.

Speaking of big plays...Yesterday was similar to Ravens football of the past...19 passes...lots of rushes...with the opportunity for 2-3 big plays. Joe didn't make the big play yesterday but he protected the ball. He didn't panic and force things. That coolness is needed to win in the playoffs.

But to win in the playoffs some risks need to be taken too in order to get some big plays.

Joe will have to find a way to do this against the Pats.

It always boils down to a few plays a game as to who wins...who makes them and who doesn't.

And Turnovers...they are playoff killers.

Final Note: Anita Marks said half the QB's in the league wouldn't be playing with the pain that Joe has. He is injured...serious bruising...so let'

s give him a break...we don't know the whole story.

I do know he needs some help...his receivers (#2 & 3)...

Edited by vmax

24 hours latter...I still think Joe wasn't reading the blitz right, was slow and missed his reads on open receivers.

Just a guess...I think he would rather take the sack than force the ball to marginally open receivers...he didn't want to turn the ball over given the way the game was unfolding. The Ravens led all the way and were running well. Only a costly turnover would let the Radiers back into the game.

In Harbaughs press conference he admitted that some guys were open the Joe didn't see and those would have been big plays.

Speaking of big plays...Yesterday was similar to Ravens football of the past...19 passes...lots of rushes...with the opportunity for 2-3 big plays. Joe didn't make the big play yesterday but he protected the ball. He didn't panic and force things. That coolness is needed to win in the playoffs.

But to win in the playoffs some risks need to be taken too in order to get some big plays.

Joe will have to find a way to do this against the Pats.

It always boils down to a few plays a game as to who wins...who makes them and who doesn't.

And Turnovers...they are playoff killers.

Final Note: Anita Marks said half the QB's in the league wouldn't be playing with the pain that Joe has. He is injured...serious bruising...so let'

s give him a break...we don't know the whole story.

I do know he needs some help...his receivers (#2 & 3)...

Joe certainly deserves his share of the blame. That missed pass to a wide open Heap was inexcusable, Heap had days to run streaking wide open across the field. Flacco was also late on the pass to McClain down near the goaline, that would have been a TD had that ball been out quicker (granted, McClain was probably the last read). Ever since the Packers game Flacco has been very conservative. Like you said, he seems more than willing to take the sack than force the ball to marginally open receivers. If we are running the ball like yesterday, I am fine with that. Against the Pats we will just have to see how our defense holds up. I would much rather Joe not turn the ball over, but if our defense is having trouble, he might need to air it out a little.

Cam and the receivers deserve just as much blame. Cam needs to have Joe go on different snap counts to give the offensive line a chance to pick up a blitz. A corner should never have the snap count perfectly timed and be able to run in full speed on a blitz, that just cannot happen. It is also inexcusable to have three receivers clustered in one area to the point where one defender can cover all three guys when the defense blitzes more defenders than we have blockers. And finally, Clayton and Mason need to do a better job of getting off of the press. Granted the Raiders have two of the biggest and most physical corners in the league, but if that is the case get Washington and Williams in there. One more thing, having a max protect and only three receivers in routes on third and seven-plus is basically punting. It is even more sad when Flacco still manages to get sacked in these scenerios.

Joe needs a legit group of WRs - our guys are serviceable, thats it.

Give him a true deep threat, a big possession guy, and a few slot receivers, then he has a chance to put up big numbers.

Lets not forget this guy is in his second year. Next year will be a true test, provided we get him a suppporting cast.

s give him a break...we don't know the whole story

You have lost all credibilty

You know how many times Ive heard, "He has the deer in headlights look" Its ridiculous He better start hitting Heap, caus Clayton is of no use to him at all..384 yards for a #1 WR..TD Taylor put up better numbers, and he had Stumblin Boller trying to throw to him.

Kyle Boller was too fast. Joe Flacco is too slow. What do you people want?!

I agree, the whole thing is rather silly.

I havent heard that Joe has the 'deer in headlights look' and question if anyone has seen him play who says that. Could he, should he be playing better? Yeah probably. But deer in headlights, no.

And my personal fave was after the GB loss I happened to be stuck somewhere with talk radio on. I was amazed at the number of people who wanted to throw Joe under the bus for smiling at one point during the game on the sideline. To many, sadly not just a couple, idiot fan callers that translated into Joe isnt a leader.

To many, sadly not just a couple, idiot fan callers that translated into Joe isnt a leader.

Isn't that a little bit of an oxymoron though? If you really listen to sports talk radio, especially the local shows, most of the callers are picking up receptions from the deepest depths of their rectum. Once in a while, you'll find an educated caller, but for the most part, the ones that call are idiots to begin with.

Isn't that a little bit of an oxymoron though? If you really listen to sports talk radio, especially the local shows, most of the callers are picking up receptions from the deepest depths of their rectum. Once in a while, you'll find an educated caller, but for the most part, the ones that call are idiots to begin with.

So very true.