ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

UN Global Warming report is out

vmax

Don't sleep on Brazil either. They have a quickly developing economy with the double edged sword of polluting more and cutting down the rain forests more to provide for the expansion of their economy.

Everyone needs to buy in or it won't work.

Are they replanting tree-lings? that was Haitis issue, they would go high up cut down trees and wonder why they would suffer massive mud slides when the rains would come. Cut down trees, fine, but you must replant young trees to protect your villages.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/05/oil-company-argues-oil-spills-are-good-for-the-economy/361551/

Maybe that's why, buried deep in Kinder Morgan's 15,000 page submission to the NEB, the oil company argued oil spills "can have both positive and negative effects on local and regional economies," because of the economic benefits brought on by clean-up efforts. “Spill response and clean-up creates business and employment opportunities for affected communities, regions, and clean-up service providers,” the report reads. Kinder Morgan does not forget to analyze the negative effects an oil spill has on local communities, like crippling fishing resources, threatening human health, and damaging property, which all carry an economic impact of their own.

Well why didn'y you say that from the start?

I haven't my heat or air on since the end of March. I'm sure my BGE bill will be $250.

Ha. My build are under control... Except my oil bill. And with baby in house we've had to keep running the heat a bit in the late evenings to avoid her freaking out.

Cleetz... I think the problem is what papa said about really not knowing the deadline until it passes. I mean, unless we want to be in a situation like the movies where a manned space mission has to save us... Or the world ends.

It takes us years if not decades to notice trends and environmental changes... Even when we identify a species as endangered we are rarely able to save it. What happens when it's a species we care about? What happens when a decade after the black rhino goes extinct (it just did), we realize it was critical to the sustaining of its ecosystem and the survival of other species?

I think part of that is a moral question.

But I think part is a tremendous economic question that you can't just put off forever. It is entirely possible that we destroy the world as we know it so that it not only hurts other living things but also ourselves. And I buy that tech will help us in many ways, but is a barren earth and human life surviving on aqua culture and genetically created synthetic beef the happy outcome?

Right I completely agree. All I'm saying is how do we know the deadline hasn't already passed?

You bring up a very good point about the economic cost. We talk about deadlines, well the way I see it is there's no one hard deadline, probably different timelines where certain areas of the world will be hit harder than others. When that happens a premium is put on the habitable areas. In other words, the economic question you bring up might not truly come into play until those who do not have the resources available to relocate are already affected. Until we get to a point where the economic costs of protecting the environment don't windfall to the individual citizen, I don't anticipate anything major happening. Unfortunately, by that point it may be too late for a lot of people.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/salt-water-fish-extinction-seen-by-2048/?mc_cid=f15c2bdadc&mc_eid=83a5da071d

Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048

The apocalypse has a new date: 2048.

That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists. The cause: the disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss, and climate change.

The study by Boris Worm, PhD, of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, -- with colleagues in the U.K., U.S., Sweden, and Panama -- was an effort to understand what this loss of ocean species might mean to the world.

The researchers analyzed several different kinds of data. Even to these ecology-minded scientists, the results were an unpleasant surprise.

"I was shocked and disturbed by how consistent these trends are -- beyond anything we suspected," Worm says in a news release.

"This isn't predicted to happen. This is happening now," study researcher Nicola Beaumont, PhD, of the Plymouth Marine Laboratory, U.K., says in a news release.

"If biodiversity continues to decline, the marine environment will not be able to sustain our way of life. Indeed, it may not be able to sustain our lives at all," Beaumont adds.

Already, 29% of edible fish and seafood species have declined by 90% -- a drop that means the collapse of these fisheries.

But the issue isn't just having seafood on our plates. Ocean species filter toxins from the water. They protect shorelines. And they reduce the risks of algae blooms such as the red tide.

"A large and increasing proportion of our population lives close to the coast; thus the loss of services such as flood control and waste detoxification can have disastrous consequences," Worm and colleagues say.

The researchers analyzed data from 32 experiments on different marine environments.

They then analyzed the 1,000-year history of 12 coastal regions around the world, including San Francisco and Chesapeake bays in the U.S., and the Adriatic, Baltic, and North seas in Europe.

Next, they analyzed fishery data from 64 large marine ecosystems.

And finally, they looked at the recovery of 48 protected ocean areas.

Their bottom line: Everything that lives in the ocean is important. The diversity of ocean life is the key to its survival. The areas of the ocean with the most different kinds of life are the healthiest.

But the loss of species isn't gradual. It's happening fast -- and getting faster, the researchers say.

Worm and colleagues call for sustainable fisheries management, pollution control, habitat maintenance, and the creation of more ocean reserves.

This, they say, isn't a cost; it's an investment that will pay off in lower insurance costs, a sustainable fish industry, fewer natural disasters, human health, and more.

"It's not too late. We can turn this around," Worm says. "But less than 1% of the global ocean is effectively protected right now."

Worm and colleagues report their findings in the Nov. 3 issue of Science.

Ha. My build are under control... Except my oil bill. And with baby in house we've had to keep running the heat a bit in the late evenings to avoid her freaking out.

Is that ridiculous DC, We built our house in 2001, and we were given the option of heating with oil or propane, at the time oil was .89 a gallon where as propane was 1.09 a pound. We chose oil, when we sold in 2012 oil was 4.24 a gallon, not sure what it is today, but I dont miss the 650 dollar a month winter electric/oil bills.

Right off the bat all these researchers have to do is study the effects that the rock fish moratorium, it worked. I fished our Chesapeake Bay in the 70's when the rock would jump in the boat, weekend after weekend my grandfather and I would come home with a cooler full of rockfish, then by the late 70's and early 80's we'd come home skunked. look at it now after the moratorium was placed into effect, the Rock spawning grounds are located in the upper Chesapeake right off Havre de Grace, you could walk across the Bay there are so many rock spawning there..

Florida is now undergoing a moratorium on Red Snapper, it is also working..There are only 2 weekends a year you can possess Red Snapper, you must also fish with a circle hook, in case you catch one(and you will) off season.They have also limited the number of shrimp you can catch on a given night to a 5 lb bucket.

Thats 2 coastal cities trying to do their part in preserving our fisheries, of course as long as we still have SCM chemicals, and Dupont polluting the waters..

For the Chesapeake to rebound like it has considering the pollutants that are dumped into it daily is a miracle in itself..Dupont to the north in the Delaware River which hooks up to the Chessie, Peach Bottom and Three Mile Island which use the Susquehanna that dumps into the Chessie, SCM in baltimore, and Calvert Cliffs in the lower Chessie..Hard to believe the Chessie produces any aquatic life at all..

Check this out, this would piss me off to no end..

Scott and Angela Latham had solar panels installed at their Centreville home in December at a cost of $24,000.

Mobile users, tap here for video

"We wanted to go green, wanted to help the U.S. economy out and save money on our electric bill," Scott Latham said.

Going green and saving money appealed to Bernard Dadds and his wife, Ann, too. Their monthly utility bill was running as high as $400.

"There is just two of us living here. I don't know why our bills are so high," Ann Dadds said.

The Centreville couple paid $29,000 to install solar panels in January.

"They were supposed to generate half our electricity," Scott Latham said.

The Dadds and Lathams tried to harness the sun by taking advantage of net metering, a process in which unused power is put back on the grid. It can actually reduce utility bills.

"What net metering allows is that if you aren't using all output on your solar panels, you can effectively store it on the grid like it's a battery," said Phillip VanderHeyden, director of the electricity division of the Maryland Public Service Commission.

But neither the Dadds nor the Lathams are able to do this. After spending tens of thousands of dollars, Delmarva Power will not let them connect their solar panels to the grid and there's a lot of finger-pointing going on.

Delmarva Power claimed its circuits are full and that it stopped accepting grid tie-ins in April 2013 -- more than six months before the Dadds and Lathams purchased their expensive systems. In order to accommodate new hookups, Delmarva said consumers will have to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for upgrades.

Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/news/solar-energy-customers-denied-access-to-grid/25863894#ixzz317vabebp

Is that ridiculous DC, We built our house in 2001, and we were given the option of heating with oil or propane, at the time oil was .89 a gallon where as propane was 1.09 a pound. We chose oil, when we sold in 2012 oil was 4.24 a gallon, not sure what it is today, but I dont miss the 650 dollar a month winter electric/oil bills.

If we had access to gas we'd switch but we don't. We pay about $600 for a task refill three times a winter... It's a pain but not horrible. I like that my electric status flat.

I am more annoyed that our oil tank and like have frozen several times in our two years here... This year we were without heat five or six times mostly for a few hours but twice for more than 48 hours. Luckily my parents are 5 minutes away and the wife's are only two. So we just pack up for a few...

If we had access to gas we'd switch but we don't. We pay about $600 for a task refill three times a winter... It's a pain but not horrible. I like that my electric status flat.

I am more annoyed that our oil tank and like have frozen several times in our two years here... This year we were without heat five or six times mostly for a few hours but twice for more than 48 hours. Luckily my parents are 5 minutes away and the wife's are only two. So we just pack up for a few...

Oh, your tank is outside? do you put in the additive? or a little trick I learned at UPS, add kerosene, maybe a gallon to your 250 gallon tank, it prevents the oil(which is diesel fuel) from jelling up.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/13/this-is-what-the-united-states-looks-like-after-a-10-foot-sea-level-rise/

Looks like a blast.

This is what the United States looks like after a 10 foot sea level rise

5_12_14_Andrea_SurgingSeasScreenshot-tak

5_13_14_Ben_Stpete-10ftSLR.jpg

Lots more visual aids and write up in the link. Also see what a city near you will look like.

http://www.climatecentral.org/wgts/10ft/CitiesList-10ft-SLR.html