ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

UN Global Warming report is out

vmax

hey crav

take your old ass to Waccamaw Pottery and warm your bones next to the kiln

I have freeze warnings here in TN that doesn't bode well for my herbs you don't hear me bitchin and complaining

Doing fine Cravn thanks.

hope all goes smooth at the wedding

hard nipples? why would a man complain about hard nipples?

be good!!!

I'll check in after the draft see had bad it went for you guys :sing:

• 1 month later...

Three cool days in June in a row - I now no longer believe in global warming.

I can't believe that, we have family down the O'shun this week, all I see pics of are people in sweat shirts and long pants. But I'll take my 90 degrees.

Three cool days in June in a row - I now no longer believe in global warming.

I got a bit sweaty when taking out the garbage today. I am not starting to believe in global warming again. Hurrying to stop payment on the donations I made to candidates who say its not real.

• 5 weeks later...

ExxonMobil, the world’s biggest oil company, knew as early as 1981 of climate change – seven years before it became a public issue, according to a newly discovered email from one of the firm’s own scientists. Despite this the firm spent millions over the next 27 years to promote climate denial..............“One thing that occurs to me is the behavior of the tobacco companies denying the connection between smoking and lung cancer for the sake of profits, but this is an order of magnitude greater moral offence, in my opinion, because what is at stake is the fate of the planet, humanity, and the future of civilisation, not to be melodramatic.” http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/exxon-knew-of-climate-change-in-1981-email-says-%e2%80%93-but-it-funded-deniers-for-27-more-years/ar-AAcJDcg?ocid=iehp

ExxonMobil, the worlds biggest oil company, knew as early as 1981 of climate change seven years before it became a public issue, according to a newly discovered email from one of the firms own scientists. Despite this the firm spent millions over the next 27 years to promote climate denial..............One thing that occurs to me is the behavior of the tobacco companies denying the connection between smoking and lung cancer for the sake of profits, but this is an order of magnitude greater moral offence, in my opinion, because what is at stake is the fate of the planet, humanity, and the future of civilisation, not to be melodramatic. http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/exxon-knew-of-climate-change-in-1981-email-says-%e2%80%93-but-it-funded-deniers-for-27-more-years/ar-AAcJDcg?ocid=iehp

Not surprised at all. I doubt they were the only ones also. Take it for what it's worth but I talked to someone who works in the field who told me the government allegedly knew about climate change in the 80s as well.

Some of the articles I've read believe we're past the point of no return. IMO our best hope is technological innovation. Either way I'll be long gone...

Yea...I'm sure the government knew long ago. Especially National Security.

The waters drying up fast too...

Earth's Groundwater Basins Are Running Out of Water.

One-third of Earth's largest groundwater basins are under threat because humans are draining so much water from them, according to two new studies. What's more, researchers say they lack accurate data about how much water remains in these dwindling reservoirs.

The studies found that eight of the world's 37 biggest aquifers are "overstressed," meaning not enough water is replenished to offset the usage.........

with the world's usable groundwater disappearing faster than it is being replenished, it is crucial to pinpoint how much water remains in the planet's aquifer systems, the researchers said.

"In a water-scarce society, we can no longer tolerate this level of uncertainty, especially since groundwater is disappearing so rapidly," Richey said. http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/earths-groundwater-basins-are-running-out-of-water/ar-AAcNK8E?ocid=iehp

This means less crops, less food, population migrations....it's a friggin nightmare looking into the future.

• 1 month later...

Here's something positive on Obama. He gets it.....

But in Las Vegas Monday, he struck an optimistic tone, echoing his campaign slogan of "Yes, we can."

"Now, it's one thing if you're consistent in being free market. It's another thing when you're free market until it's solar that's working and people want to buy and suddenly you're not for it any more," he said.

"When you start seeing massive lobbying efforts backed by fossil fuel interests, or conservative think tanks, or the Koch brothers pushing for new laws to roll back renewable energy standards, or to prevent new clean energy businesses from succeeding, that's s problem," Obama said, singling out industrialists Charles and David Koch for the first time in a climate speech.

Obama said the growth in solar — which is 20 times bigger than it was in 2008, is "like evolving from the telegraph to the smartphone in less than a decade."

"I'm here to give you hope, but not complacency," he said.

Companies like Wal-Mart and Google were turning to solar and renewable energy "not because they're tree-huggers," he said, but because they're cost cutters."

Turning another phrase, he said, "Solar isn't just for the green crowd anymore. It’s for the green eyeshade crowd, too." http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama-hits-koch-brothers-for-opposing-solar-power/ar-BBm4ec2?li=AA54ur&ocid=iehp

Solar panels are ugly and stain the hell out of your roof. Also try pricing solar panels, and try pricing a solar water heater.

funny_people-2.jpg Oh...and fossil fuels are good for the environment!? They cause no damage and smog and oil spills are attractive...right?

And try pricing what it's going to cost to keep humanity from extinction.

But don't worry, when your home is 10' under the ocean surf, it wash those roof stains right off.

• Upvote 1

Solar panels are ugly and stain the hell out of your roof. Also try pricing solar panels, and try pricing a solar water heater.

I don't mind the way they look. Plus look at all the ugly things on houses and streets we put up with or are just used to. Telephone poles with bunches of wires, satellite dishes, and cable boxes.

Just my opinion, I can't afford to get them.

funny_people-2.jpg Oh...and fossil fuels are good for the environment!? They cause no damage and smog and oil spills are attractive...right?

And try pricing what it's going to cost to keep humanity from extinction.

But don't worry, when your home is 10' under the ocean surf, it wash those roof stains right off.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

OK Einstein, come up with affordable solar power, it can't be done because its a gimmick.the initial cost of turning a home solar would be upwards of 50g's, in today's housing market,you can't add 50g to your current mortgage or you'll have folks upside down again.

Actually there are plenty of affordable ways. Lots of companies will now install the panels free, then charge you per kwh of energy, just like your power company. It can be slightly more expensive, but hardly totally cost prohibitive. The problem is most people won't do it unless it really saves them money, because like you, most can't look past today and their own bills.

Meanwhile, yes, the sky is falling. You're old enough you'll be fine, though...

I most certainly am looking past today, and I have priced solar, I don't need to pay upwards of 2000 for a hot water heater, you just can't use a conventional hot water heater and hook a solar panel to it, also looked at solar heating the pool, just the heat pump alone is 4000, occasionally you can catch a unit for 3000 in February.

Solar power is nothing new, I worked for a home improvement company in 1980 in timonium and solar was booming,

If you really want to save money, go Ground Loop, it is amazing, the catch is its cost effectiveness installing it pre construction vs existing home, it was in its infancy when we built our home in 2000 so we backed away from it. I knew folks that have it up north and their heating and electric bills were 1/4 of we paid at our home.

Studying energy usage levels from your utility bills will also help indicate the appropriate solar panel system for your household. As a general rule, a 3-kilowatt-hour system will generate approximately 3,600 to 4,800 kwh per year; a 5-kwh system will produce 6,000 to 8,000 kwh per year; and a 10-kwh system will produce 12,000 to 16,000 kwh per year.

For example, a home in Los Angeles with a roof size of 1,352 square feet that uses 1,954 KWh/month will probably need a 13.53 kwh solar power system. Before factoring in available credits/incentives, the system will cost $94,688.

Studying energy usage levels from your utility bills will also help indicate the appropriate solar panel system for your household. As a general rule, a 3-kilowatt-hour system will generate approximately 3,600 to 4,800 kwh per year; a 5-kwh system will produce 6,000 to 8,000 kwh per year; and a 10-kwh system will produce 12,000 to 16,000 kwh per year.

For example, a home in Los Angeles with a roof size of 1,352 square feet that uses 1,954 KWh/month will probably need a 13.53 kwh solar power system. Before factoring in available credits/incentives, the system will cost $94,688.

cs_057.jpg "You just made that up. I know what your brain is capable of producing."

1900kwh a month is a ton. I have a house much bigger than that and use about 1000kwh in peak months, only 800 in lesser. LA also isn't pricing like most of the country. I've heard estimates in my area of closer to $30k including install before credits. Still not super affordable, but could be done on a HELOC easily.

Meanwhile, you're also forgetting new advances like the Tesla batteries that will allow people to store solar energy overnight making the systems even more useful and efficient.

But you also haven't addressed my last post - "renting" solar from a company that puts the units in for you and you pay usage as you normally would. It can defer that cost over a long period of time.

Finally, no one is saying solar is the best or only good option. But it sure beats fossil fuels.

The affordability of renting varies. Depends on your local rates. Here it wasn't really going to save me money... But I was still willing to consider it (haven't acted) because of the moral imperative

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go DC, FPL ( our electric) will meet with us on Monday, they have a pretty good deal, I think, 5500 for solar panel and hot water heater, 1000 FPL rebate, 2 weeks to get the check, 1600 Obama rebate. So our balance will be 2800, 12 months no interest. After 12 months, interest will go to 8.8% on the balance.

He guarantees we will save 55 to 70 a month on the hot water heater.

I think we are going to do it.