ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

So my company closed its doors with about six hours notice earlier this week, and my first immediate reaction was to file for unemployment insurance to cover myself in case I didn't rebound quickly (getting a job is one thing, but getting a salaried full-time job while still a full-time student is like rocket surgery or brain science).

I'm actually surprised by how painless the process is, including the follow-up for application/interview documentation. I've already had a few interviews and made plenty of contacts (including a recruiter who I am thrilled to have met, but that's another story), so I was nervous about the process and thought it'd be another red tape/jump through hoops process. What I haven't decided is whether that makes me feel more or less nervous about the system as a whole, but experiences like this really back up the whole "if you're going to pay into it, use it" thing that most anti-aid folks don't consider until it happens to them.

That sucks. I hope you find something decent soon.

I had the same experience. A few years ago my old job suddenly told us they couldn't afford to pay us. I thought the filing process was relatively quick and painless.

Good luck KS, same thing happened with my daughter 2 weeks ago, 15 years she's been with 1st Mariner Bank. The last 5 as branch manager, that investment group that just bought the bank came in and laid off 32 branch managers,

We had a lightening bolt wiz through our yard Saturday night scariest thing I've ever seen, as it wiz zed by all the lights that were on got 10x brighter, lost internet, direct tv in the family room and the 52" tv in there as well, I filed a claim with homeowners, just in case . It's been an adventure down here with these afternoon storms , I just figured out how to switch the phone over to just search for the 3G instead of the house internet,

Bad thing is I must not be the only one, att can't come out til tomorrow and direct can't get here til Thursday.

I brought up the Perry glasses last year when he came to "debate" O'Malley on meet the press and the like...

Trying and failing to look smart.

Trying and mostly failing at looking young.

Some will fall for it - I mean some think he is smart anyway...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/07/rick-perry-is-dead-wrong-108860.html#ixzz37U1iiKHc

There are many things I like about Texas Gov. Rick Perry, including his stance on the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution. But apparently his new glasses haven’t altered his perception of the world, or allowed him to see it any more clearly

Crav -

I don't get why a curve is needed in a TV but maybe I will be educated. But I would also never spend that much on a TV or even close. I think I got both of our TVs for under $400 (a few years back) - good sales at some big box nearby. I also see no need to upgrade until there's an issue or a technology I need that I don't have - hasn't come yet.

It's difficult to even get through the first minute... Something makes me think this guy was a manager trying miserably to prove to his subordinates that they could do more to get people to not cancel.

That call is really making waves today...Comcast actually released a statement earlier about it. There's a reason they've been named one of the worst companies in America by various outlets for years. It comes from a culture like that call, not just an outlier.

Crav -

I don't get why a curve is needed in a TV but maybe I will be educated. But I would also never spend that much on a TV or even close. I think I got both of our TVs for under $400 (a few years back) - good sales at some big box nearby. I also see no need to upgrade until there's an issue or a technology I need that I don't have - hasn't come yet.

Its just like any other new gadget that comes out, I can remember when Plasma TV's hit and they were 2999.00 and up, my plasma that got fried I think I paid 650.00 for it 2 years ago..

I can remember my mother back in 1980 paid 700.00 for a new thing called a VCR from JC Pennys, and the kicker was she "joined" Errols video and put up 1000.00 for a lifetime membership..lol

Crav -

But I immediately understand the benefits of a VCR... and flat screen... and even plasma... I don't even understand the concept of a curved TV. Better picture? Better viewing angles? Better for 3D? What does it even do?

Speaking of VCRs... Malcolm Gladwell did a great essay on VCRs a while back (well, tangentially it wound up talking about VCRs) and how while we associate them primarily with watching videos that you either rented or bought, the original intent was to record live TV and playback later. And yes, many people did that, but he jokes and I agree that pretty much no one ever got good at programming those damn things, it became an entirely secondary feature. It was supposed to be the original DVR. The article was actually about that guy who sells those Rotisserie chicken cookers on TV and how he is the perfect salesman/designer of products in so many ways - and how whoever designed and marketed the VCR needed his help.

Crav -

But I immediately understand the benefits of a VCR... and flat screen... and even plasma... I don't even understand the concept of a curved TV. Better picture? Better viewing angles? Better for 3D? What does it even do?

Speaking of VCRs... Malcolm Gladwell did a great essay on VCRs a while back (well, tangentially it wound up talking about VCRs) and how while we associate them primarily with watching videos that you either rented or bought, the original intent was to record live TV and playback later. And yes, many people did that, but he jokes and I agree that pretty much no one ever got good at programming those damn things, it became an entirely secondary feature. It was supposed to be the original DVR. The article was actually about that guy who sells those Rotisserie chicken cookers on TV and how he is the perfect salesman/designer of products in so many ways - and how whoever designed and marketed the VCR needed his help.

A curved TV improves the viewing angles for those sitting directly lined up with the TV (as in not to the side, where the viewing angles are actually diminished vs. flat TV). It also helps to improve illumination and edge distortion for those sitting within range.

Think of a movie theatre screen. They are generally somewhat curved to improve the picture for those sitting in front of it, all of whom would be directly in front and pretty close considering the size of the screen. The effect is completely null when brought into the home where potential viewing angles increase (you aren't forced to sit directly in front like at the theatre).

So a curved TV is made for mancave situations where you might only expect one person using the TV at a time, versus a group of people. It's also beneficial for computer monitors for the same reason. Kind of a niche use, but it has one, and people will buy it for that reason alone.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was spectacular. Serkis really does deserve a serious look at an Oscar nod. I see it as a metaphor on the Israel and Pakistan conflict.

Really? I saw it last weekend and hated it, though I know I'm in the minority there. Granted as well, it's not my kind of movie, but too many times Jason Clarke's acting just made me feel weird.

Really? I saw it last weekend and hated it, though I know I'm in the minority there. Granted as well, it's not my kind of movie, but too many times Jason Clarke's acting just made me feel weird.

I was taken with Andy Serkis and the other Apes. Clarke was OK. He was not what I was mesmerized with.

A curved TV improves the viewing angles for those sitting directly lined up with the TV (as in not to the side, where the viewing angles are actually diminished vs. flat TV). It also helps to improve illumination and edge distortion for those sitting within range.

Think of a movie theatre screen. They are generally somewhat curved to improve the picture for those sitting in front of it, all of whom would be directly in front and pretty close considering the size of the screen. The effect is completely null when brought into the home where potential viewing angles increase (you aren't forced to sit directly in front like at the theatre).

So a curved TV is made for mancave situations where you might only expect one person using the TV at a time, versus a group of people. It's also beneficial for computer monitors for the same reason. Kind of a niche use, but it has one, and people will buy it for that reason alone.

Got it. But here the question - why don't the ads teach you that? Again, it's not exactly obvious to someone just looking at the TV, so I watch those ads and think, what's the point of a curved TV, Samsung?

Ahhhh thanks...So a Curved TV really does me no good unless its just me camped in front of the TV directly in front of it..

Ill go through Ebates, my exact 50" plasma that got fried, Sears has for 399.00!!!!!!!