ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

I saw 2 movies this week. Get on Up the James Brown biopic is amazing. I think Boseman will get an Oscar nod for it. It might be the best biopic I have seen. It is not the same linear child to old man time line. It is almost like a stream of consciousnesses remembering of your life. It jumps back to how his mother and father abandoned him a few times and how that influenced him later.

I also saw Guardians. The movie is just plain fun. I was worried about Dave Batista acting coming from a wrestling background. His character is so literal that he is just not emotional. Chris Pratt is hilarious. We also get a great look at Thanos. Rumor has it that Avengers 2 the Hulk is blasted into space. The rumor splits there. Either it is Planet Hulk which Mark Ruffalo says he doesn't want to do right now or he ends up in the Guardians.

I saw 2 movies this week. Get on Up the James Brown biopic is amazing. I think Boseman will get an Oscar nod for it. It might be the best biopic I have seen. It is not the same linear child to old man time line. It is almost like a stream of consciousnesses remembering of your life. It jumps back to how his mother and father abandoned him a few times and how that influenced him later.

I also saw Guardians. The movie is just plain fun. I was worried about Dave Batista acting coming from a wrestling background. His character is so literal that he is just not emotional. Chris Pratt is hilarious. We also get a great look at Thanos. Rumor has it that Avengers 2 the Hulk is blasted into space. The rumor splits there. Either it is Planet Hulk which Mark Ruffalo says he doesn't want to do right now or he ends up in the Guardians.

I hear Boseman is very good and thats the type of movie the Academy likes so I think you might be right.

I need to see GOTG. Would Ruffalo even be needed for a Planet Hulk? Isnt he the Hulk the entire time on the planet?

Lol, did they actually motion capture Ruffalo for the Hulk scenes in Avengers? You can't tell. Just use a stuntman. Or a random guy from Baltimore who will do it really cheaply.

Yeah. For Ultron they have hired Andy Serkis. He will be in the movie but also he is teaching Rufallo how to do Motion Capture really well.

What papa said. Yeah, all the Hulk scenes were motion captured. Serkis was brought in to consult with Ruffalo on AoU.

Not sure on that specifically but many for products have cut down sizes and left price the same to trick consumers into thinking prices haven't gone up. Most famous are orange juice containers that used to be a half gallon (two quarts) and are now 1.75 or less quarts in many cases.

Keep your eyes peeled on all products. Even bread - how many ounces/slices? Hard to fight it, but you can at least make sure you are buying based on the unit price (per pound or per ounce) to help ensure you're not getting totally ripped off. But either way you'll start to notice the price increases more.

The Mrs has grocery shopped for the past 35 years, Im responsible for the cheap gas, cigs and beer and pool supplies :)

We just switched back to using sugar, we have used nutri sweet for the past 15 years, a nutritionist asked us whats better for you a packet full of chemicals or something natural..Next Im going to try raw sagar because thats not processed like a bag of Dominos sugar is.

Wait, I thought education (especially the actions by a private corporation) was none of Congress' business????

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/14/rnc-to-congress-investigate-the-ap-u-s-history-exam.html

I have much to say on this as an AP history teacher (though I don't teach US I do work closely with US teachers)... but the most basic thought I'd simply: they are wrong about the new curriculum and should bother reading it. Classic crying wolf to get attention; though I guess they're really crying "the commies are coming!"

Wait, I thought education (especially the actions by a private corporation) was none of Congress' business????

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/14/rnc-to-congress-investigate-the-ap-u-s-history-exam.html

I have much to say on this as an AP history teacher (though I don't teach US I do work closely with US teachers)... but the most basic thought I'd simply: they are wrong about the new curriculum and should bother reading it. Classic crying wolf to get attention; though I guess they're really crying "the commies are coming!"

Both in taking it and in reflecting upon it now, there is nothing leftist nor revisionist about the APUSH exam. The meddling CWA's mention in the article explains a lot.

Both in taking it and in reflecting upon it now, there is nothing leftist nor revisionist about the APUSH exam. The meddling CWA's mention in the article explains a lot.

Well they are specifically complaining about a course redesign that takes effect this year, but the changes are far more about teaching style (depth not cramming) than about content. There are almost no individuals or events mentioned by name in the rewrite, instead there are themes (early struggles of federal system) and teachers are encouraged to pick their own examples. Usually the requirement would be that students should be allowed to discuss at least X people or make examples in the theme.

Because there are no sharks in Florida waters? Want to compare but statistics? And how about gators while we're at it?

I'd also like to compare sinkhole stats.

Oh and "justifiable shootings"

First - MD is only in the news because it's less expected and you've been looking at MD news. I had hardly heard of the one until you mentioned it.

Second - Florida's are a natural result of the fact that most of Florida is a swamp. A water main is a common cause in other areas. In other words, ours are rare and caused by accidents. Yours are so common there not reported because every one knows they will happen based on reality.

Crav, do you not remember the two in Florida in the last two years - one swallowed a guys entire bedroom - him included - and the other ate half a hotel near Disney.

"Sinkhole Swallows Woman's House."

"Sinkhole Appears Next to High School - $400,000 in damage and repairs."

My favorite... "Another Day, Another Sinkhole in Florida" - ABCNews.

https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dCsphbUi-oA2DlMZHQYlci4QFD0iM&q=florida+sinkhole&lr=English&hl=en&sa=X&ei=15TwU-mEDJOtyATylYKQBw&ved=0CCkQqgIwAA

And those are all headlines from the last MONTH