ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

Got stuck at the Harbor Tunnel for almost 90 minutes today on the way to work... The whole set on WTMD was Bowie with virtually no breaks save a few "just listening to him" moments.

I feel your pain. I was a bit later, had some warning and ended up going way out of my way and taking the Key Bridge. It probably didnt save me much time, but it probably helped my sanity.

I was listening to some station on XM talk about Bowie, but it was too much talking and not enough music. Weird, I haven't listened to him in years but I always liked him and thought he was cool. I'm surprised how bummed out I am about his death.

I feel your pain. I was a bit later, had some warning and ended up going way out of my way and taking the Key Bridge. It probably didnt save me much time, but it probably helped my sanity.

I was listening to some station on XM talk about Bowie, but it was too much talking and not enough music. Weird, I haven't listened to him in years but I always liked him and thought he was cool. I'm surprised how bummed out I am about his death.

Been a few like that recently... Robin Williams comes to mind. Not someone I stopped to think about all the time or went out of my way to see, but then he's gone and it feels heavier than so many others.

The clip of Bowie on MTV when it first came out and (politely) ripping them for not playing black music and artists... Only adding to my obsession today.

I can remember back in 75-76 arriving in OC and immediately heading for Marty's Playland, throwing a dime in the juke box and playing Young Americans by Bowie and Magic carpet ride by Steppenwolf, and then throwing nickels in the claw machine to try and win a stale pack of smokes...

Honestly,I have almost no familiarity with him or the group. I saw much of the response online, was surprised someone didn't say it, but it would have been a bit insincere or at least appropriating if I got in on it.

Lemmy was just a matter of fact. I'm here and fuck you if you don't like it. You have to respect him for not caring what others think and doing what you feel is right regardless of the consequences. He wrote music that didn't care what the industry thought sold bc he liked the music. When Metallica, Slash, Megadeth, and tons more see you are royalty then you are great.

The clip of Bowie on MTV when it first came out and (politely) ripping them for not playing black music and artists... Only adding to my obsession today.

I watched that this morning. It is really disturbing, and helps me reconcile some of my feelings I had about MTV during that time growing up.

Lemmy was just a matter of fact. I'm here and fuck you if you don't like it. You have to respect him for not caring what others think and doing what you feel is right regardless of the consequences. He wrote music that didn't care what the industry thought sold bc he liked the music. When Metallica, Slash, Megadeth, and tons more see you are royalty then you are great.

Very well put!!! The cool thing about Lemmy is he didn't consider himself a metal guy, he always saw himself as a punk rocker. So not only was he an inspiration to the metal bands you named above (and many more), he had the respect of the punk community for being a musician and inspired punk rockers as well.

The other thing I liked about Lemmy is he had a huge heart. As much as he was portrayed as being a badass, he was still a gentleman and cared about his fans and the less fortunate.

Very well put!!! The cool thing about Lemmy is he didn't consider himself a metal guy, he always saw himself as a punk rocker. So not only was he an inspiration to the metal bands you named above (and many more), he had the respect of the punk community for being a musician and inspired punk rockers as well.

The other thing I liked about Lemmy is he had a huge heart. As much as he was portrayed as being a badass, he was still a gentleman and cared about his fans and the less fortunate.

Lemmy was sort of like the rock version of Johnny Cash. Cash is so revered by the punk community. Also felt like doing as he saw fit and didn't care what the industry thought of his work.