ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

It is astounding what Trumps supporters and rallies look like. It is quite staggering where the GOP leadership allowed the party to go.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/12/10/watch-video-parody-slams-donald-trumps-white-christmas-dreams-video/

There is a funny or die music parody in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_s2QnAgBE

Demagogue is the only word that fits. And I'm being nice in not going further. But I agree it is frightening. How can people be fooled by one who says so little (and yet says so much)? "It'll get done" isn't an answer. "You're a moron" isn't a defense.

I remember last year (I feel like I repeated this here already?) I was talking to someone who said Obama hasn't had it any worse than Bush did. I retorted, not really in defense of Obama but against prejudice, that Obama has been attacked since before his election for traits that are 100% separate of his politics - race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, etc. Bush had some horrible things said and written about him - things I find beyond ok - but it was almost always based in a response to actual policy. Calling Bush a fascist is stupid and rude, but it was generally made as a response to an actual issue not just to what he looked like.

I feel the same way with Trump's arguments. He frequently insults people and then says, "well people insult me - they insult my hair." I know it doesn't have to be said, but apparently it does. Saying, "gee his hair looks funny" is a lot different from saying, "his haircut disqualifies him from being president" and meaning it as if it were a legitimate argument. "He's a loser" and "your company is failing" ... what does that even mean?

Related note - poll out today (real, major, significant poll) that shows only 20% of Dems agree with the "ban muslims" statement (still too many) but more than 65% of GOPers. That's all I need to know about allegiance right now; and I'm unaffiliated and fiercely so.

The thing that scares me most about Trump is not Trump - because I am still confident he won't even win the nomination. I am scared that he is making Ted Cruz look sane, rational, mild-mannered, even-tempered, deliberate... Until 6 months ago, Cruz was the wacky guy that was just so far outside... now he's normal and almost palatable to many. He's Trump light in posture, but Trump heavy in policy.

I saw her. I happened to see a thing from Rachell Maddow about a political scientist who said you have someone bring up the insane to make the crazy seem reasonable. I am to the point of calling Trump a fascist. He has gotten there with plans taken straight out of the Nazi playbook. He just changed the religion.

The problem for the GOP is while their electorate is happy where things are the majority of the country is appalled. They could scare away everyone except white males completely. This run could hurt the GOP in congress.

I believe Grubber is talking about the presence, aura, and spectacle that is Lex Luthor; not that he has hair. And I agree. Jesse Eisenberg doesn't portray any of those qualities. He has no gravitas. Gene Hackman had it. As much as I hated the way he played it, Kevin Spacey had it. Jesse Eisenberg does not. Hell, even Michael Rosenbaum had some of it.

Exactly what I meant Dee.

• 3 weeks later...

I do think some ppl have been way to nitpicky on what they perceive as plot holes. I think if you look at them and other things said during the movie they are explained. Screw it. Spoiler alert below.

So many have been critical that Rey is able to fight off Kylo Ren. I think JJ pretty well explained that Ren while trained is weak. He is also not fully trained. I think Rey has more force than he does and that is why she can beat him. Basically she is a natural and she has unwittingly been using the force all her life. Once she began focusing she was able to pull the light saber and also do the mind control. BTW that storm trooper who let her go was Daniel Craig. It took a while before I found out where he was in the movie. Also I think Rey will end up being Luke's daughter. The flashback scene and then Maz explaining how that light saber belonged to Anikan then Luke. Now it was being given to her.

Star Wars spoilers below:

I wasn't disappointed by Star Wars, but I wasn't blown away. Overall solid movie. Felt like I was watching a mix of Harry Potter and Star Wars Episode IV. I actually watched Episode IV the night before, so maybe that's why?

Kylo Ren seemed like a cool character at first but once he took his helmet off he seemed wimpy. It was like watching Snape from Harry Potter. And did anyone else think Snoke looked like Dumbledore?

Other than that great movie. I loved Finn, Han Solo and Chewy. BB8 was a funny character.

Spoilers below...

I agree with you. That's why I was glad to see Rey beat him up. Ren was annoying me with his whining. I liked Rey's character a lot. The craziest theory I heard is that Obi Wan had a daughter who Luke ended up having a child with (Rey). So Rey is the granddaughter of Darth Vader and Obi Wan. So she's "Obi Two". Sorry...

I also didn't care much for Poe. It's like they tried to take a greaser from American Graffiti and put him in Star Wars. Sort of like George Lucas did in the 2008 failure Indiana Jones film with Shia LaBeouf. Didn't work for me then, doesn't work for me now.