ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

Spoiler

I think they finally needed an X wing pilot who would not just be blaster fodder. Poe is a bad ass as a pilot. That said he was sent on the secret mission.

I would be shocked if they pull this back to Obi but he was sitting on Tatooine for a long time. I guess maybe he hit up the local brothel or something. Hell it looks like Luke has been alone for a very long time now.

Spoiler

If you look at how this was put together it is very similar to a new hope. A member of the resistance gives a drone important info. That drone finds its way to someone with the force on a desert planet. The new order/empire sends troops to find them. They escape on the Millennium Falcon. Inside a star base a hero of the young untrained hero with the force is killed by a sith master. The star base is blown up.

It's hard for me to put into words how bad Force Awakens was. I thought the casting was terrible, especially Kylo Ren and Fin. Kylo Ren was so soft and unintimidating. Choosing some skinny whiny Emo punk to fill the shoes of Darth Vader was beyond stupid. I thought the plot line was completely unoriginal and a complete reboot. They desperately tried to inject humor into scenes where no humor was needed. The final battle was terribly unsuspenseful. The only thing that was cool was the X-wing battles IMO

On a side note, Hateful8 and Revenent were both far better movies. The bear attack scene alone in Revenant surpassed anything in Force Awakens. Also the cinematography in Revenant was incredible, they have full 15 minutes battles that is one complete take from multiple angles, no cuts.

The dialogue and humor in Hateful8 was stellar. Highly recommend both movies.

Papa...that is the very reason why I fear the next too will be a rehash of 5 and 6...

52...it all worked for me and just solidified that Star Wars still works with this generation. Don't forget too, Benecio Del Toro is the baddie in the sequel. Ren didn't phase me, becuase think about the kids that believed in something and lashed out in this day and age...skinny little emo kids with guns...

I want to see those two movies, but I'll wait til video.

Spoiler - I have trouble ignoring how bad the prequels were so I have little desire to see this movie. Maybe on cable or DVD.

Spoiler - haven't seen Hateful 8, but with few exceptions I think Tarintino is a hack.

On a side note, Hateful8 and Revenent were both far better movies. The bear attack scene alone in Revenant surpassed anything in Force Awakens. Also the cinematography in Revenant was incredible, they have full 15 minutes battles that is one complete take from multiple angles, no cuts.

The dialogue and humor in Hateful8 was stellar. Highly recommend both movies.

How can a scene be no cuts and multiple angles?

Spoiler - I have trouble ignoring how bad the prequels were so I have little desire to see this movie. Maybe on cable or DVD.

Spoiler - haven't seen Hateful 8, but with few exceptions I think Tarintino is a hack.

Agree 100% on Tarantino. Stylized violence is just that, but doesn't make it good filmmaking.

The Big Short was brilliant. Started slower than I expected, but amazing - hysterical, infuriating, suspenseful... And of course let me nerd out on some econ complexity and data.

Agree 100% on Tarantino. Stylized violence is just that, but doesn't make it good filmmaking.

The Big Short was brilliant. Started slower than I expected, but amazing - hysterical, infuriating, suspenseful... And of course let me nerd out on some econ complexity and data.

hateful 8 was about 2.5 hours.. The stylized violence doesn't even kick in until halfway through. The thing that made this movie so fantastic for me was the dialogue between the characters. It was just very well done.

How can a scene be no cuts and multiple angles?

The camera moves around from person to person as they are moving around like each guys point of view. Its hard to explain but sometimes the camera is on the ground, sometimes its looking over a shoulder, sometimes its in a tree, but it never actually cuts away it just kinda floats around. Pretty cool.

SPOILER ALERT FOR REVENANT - The bear attack scene is one of the realest, most badass scenes in any movie I've ever seen. It will leave your jaw on the floor and your butt on the edge of your seat

hateful 8 was about 2.5 hours.. The stylized violence doesn't even kick in until halfway through. The thing that made this movie so fantastic for me was the dialogue between the characters. It was just very well done.

I just think he is all style and little substance. I just don't like his work, or him really. I know a lot of people do, maybe it's me.

Did it end with a character saying "This is your masterpiece" then immediately have "Directed by Quentin Tarintino" appear on the screen? Such a humble filmmaker! :)

I just think he is all style and little substance. I just don't like his work, or him really. I know a lot of people do, maybe it's me.

Did it end with a character saying "This is your masterpiece" then immediately have "Directed by Quentin Tarintino" appear on the screen? Such a humble filmmaker! :)

Ditto again. And I really dislike him as an individual - more than I dislike his movies, even. (I actually agree with some of his advocacy, but his attitude is infuriating)

• Upvote 1

The camera moves around from person to person as they are moving around like each guys point of view. Its hard to explain but sometimes the camera is on the ground, sometimes its looking over a shoulder, sometimes its in a tree, but it never actually cuts away it just kinda floats around. Pretty cool.

SPOILER ALERT FOR REVENANT - The bear attack scene is one of the realest, most badass scenes in any movie I've ever seen. It will leave your jaw on the floor and your butt on the edge of your seat

Still a bit confused, but close... I guess it could be a"single take" but include cuts.

Does the camera cut, or just float as you describe (like following the overhead cameras in NFL games these days that fly all over?)

Either way, sounds cool. Saw an extended trailer that looked cool. Really enjoy everyone involved too.

The best continuous shot (and longest in history) goes to Atonement. If you haven't seen it, it's beautiful.

I haven't seen that but always liked Boogie Nights' New Years Eve party scene.

Wow Atonement's is 5 minutes.

Want to see a jacked up movie? Watch "Bone Tomahawk" It's on Amazon Prime right now and has Kurt Russell in it...It's a slow burn, but you'll know the scene that messes you up when you see it.

I want to see that, it sounds insane.

Seeing a Quentin film is about the dialogue. I love all his films.

The best continuous shot (and longest in history) goes to Atonement. If you haven't seen it, it's beautiful.

It can't stand up to Birdman.

Still a bit confused, but close... I guess it could be a"single take" but include cuts.

Does the camera cut, or just float as you describe (like following the overhead cameras in NFL games these days that fly all over?)

Either way, sounds cool. Saw an extended trailer that looked cool. Really enjoy everyone involved too.

The NFL overhead camera is the best way to describe the scene. It's cool just watch it you wont be disappointed. They shot the entire film in natural light in Alaska or Canada, they had only a few hours a day.

Seeing a Quentin film is about the dialogue. I love all his films.

It can't stand up to Birdman.

See, I just don't find Q's dialogue that brilliant... with exceptions. Loved Inglorious Basterds... but even part of that had me shaking my head. Still need to see Django. I just think too often the lines are "cool" because he says/thinks they are cool... much like the stylized violence.

Seen parts of Birdman - enjoyed what I saw but out of context.