ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens sign a 17-man undrafted rookie class

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/ravens-sign-a-17-man-undrafted-rookie-class/

The Ravens signed a healthy 17-man undrafted rookie class, including a guy who probably would have been drafted if he were healthy.

North Carolina tackle James Hurst, who suffered a broken fibula in the Tar Heels’ bowl game, was among the list of players the Ravens signed.

Western Kentucky linebacker Xavius Boyd, Temple defensive tackle Levi Brown, Tennessee-Martin wide receiver Jeremy Butler, Northern Colorado wide receiver Jace Davis, Oklahoma State tackle Parker Graham, Virginia Tech defensive tackle Derrick Hopkins, Texas A&M cornerback Tramain Jacobs, Houston punter Richie Leone, Ashland defensive tackle Jamie Meder, Albany State safety Dexter Moody, North Carolina A&T cornerback Deji Olatoye, North Texas linebacker Zachary Orr, Utah State defensive tackle A.J. Pataiali’i, Oregon cornerback Avery Patterson, Middle Tennessee State cornerback Sammy Seamster and Iowa tackle Brett Van Sloten.

Just like in horse racing its not the son of the great one, its usually the grandson that does well, unless you're a Matthews

lmao the guy has a total of 86 career receiving yards and 1 TD. 58 and a blazing 4.7 in his forty. Why even waste your time with this other then publicity?

You never know. His dad wasn't some athletic freak. Also he could turn out good or he doesn't. Either way it costs the ravens nothing.

what his dad destroyed records in college. His dad was a beast coming out of school. This kid has got nothing no tape in 4 years of college. He want get signed to your roster this stinks of a publicity stunt. No other player with his stats and measurables would have ever gotten a chance.

The niners had Nate Montana in last year. I get that shows respect for his father who played there but this just doesn't make sense to me. This is the NFL and some guys practically kill themselves to get there and these guys just get a chance handed to them.

How many players had brothers on the team one way or the other that didnt belong?

If we were going to bring in a jerry Rice family member, I would've preferred the cousin Jordan Matthews. But I have to agree with Steel on this, pub stunt. It doesn't hurt us any but a pub stunt nonetheless.

Maybe he'll drink the magic Rice formula like in a Disney movie. Grow to 6'3" and sprout his dad's skills.

If we were going to bring in a jerry Rice family member, I would've preferred the cousin Jordan Matthews. But I have to agree with Steel on this, pub stunt. It doesn't hurt us any but a pub stunt nonetheless.

Maybe he'll drink the magic Rice formula like in a Disney movie. Grow to 6'3" and sprout his dad's skills.

Im looking forward to seeing Mathews play under Kelly in that offense. He has the rea chance to be offensive rookie of the year. As for Rice jr, not likely to even make the first cuts.

On Rice Jr...they are definitely getting a favor from some place....stroking an agent....publicity...maybe Jerry Sr shows up...John doing brother 49'er Jim a favor..

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookie-minicamp-0515-20140514,0,969094.story

Ravens offensive tackle James Hurst says he's ready to compete

The timing couldn't have been much worse for offensive tackle James Hurst when he broke his left leg during North Carolina's bowl game in late December.

As a senior last season, Hurst was projected by draft analysts to land in either the second or third round, until he got hurt. Because of the injury, Hurst could not play in the Senior Bowl or participate in the NFL scouting combine. And he still wasn't 100 percent by his pro day workout this spring.

If not for that unfortunate set of circumstances, Hurst probably would have been drafted instead of being signed to a free-agent deal by the Ravens this week.

The 6-foot-5 300-pound player chose the Ravens over 17 competing offers, largely because the Ravens didn't draft an offensive tackle. Now, Hurst is set to practice with no restrictions at the Ravens' rookie minicamp Friday and Saturday. He's scheduled to play left tackle initially, with the idea that he'll eventually compete at right tackle against 2013 fifth-round pick Rick Wagner.

"Obviously, this is a great opportunity," Hurst said during a telephone interview after signing with the Ravens. "Not being drafted was a disappointment, but signing with a great organization is very exciting. It's all new and I'm learning a lot. It's pretty awesome.

"My leg feels great. I'm finally 100percent now. I'm really moving around well, and I'm doing everything and I'm not limited. I think that surprised some people. I'm excited to just keep getting better."

Before the injury, Hurst had a run of success from his days as a blue-chip recruit growing up in Indianapolis who chose to attend North Carolina after receiving scholarship offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Florida and Georgia.

Hurst became the starting left tackle by the second game of his true freshman season, earning freshman All-America honors. He started a school-record 49 games and was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference first team the past two years.

"I got a lot of experience, specifically from having two different coaching staffs with two different offenses," Hurst said. "That helped me grow my blocking skills and take to an offense more readily and different coaching styles. I'm just trying to use that to my advantage now as I try to learn the Ravens' playbook. I pride myself on my footwork, having good feet and just try to get into a good blocking position."

Hurst's draft stock probably reached its peak when he effectively blocked South Carolina star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney last August.

Hurst held his own against Clowney, reacting quickly to counteract the pass-rushing moves of the eventual top overall pick of the Houston Texans and limited him to three tackles and zero sacks.

Hurst said his confidence got a major boost from his performance against Clowney.

"I think that game meant a lot with Clowney being such a talent and such a good player," Hurst said. "It gave me an opportunity to show teams what I can do and that I can compete with people like that. It showed me what I needed to work to get comfortable in my pass blocking set. It was kind of a preview of the kind of athletes you'll face in the NFL."

Hurst said the injury was definitely a frustrating experience, but emphasized that he's learned a lot from the adversity he went through.

"Looking back, it is a disappointment, but there's nothing you can do about an injury like that," he said. "It was a speed bump. I'm where I'm at right now and I think this is a great situation from what I understand about the opportunity at tackle. No matter what, you still have to make the team whether you were a draft pick or if you go undrafted like me."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookie-minicamp-0515-20140514,0,969094.story#ixzz31msBB5BH

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookie-minicamp-0515-20140514,0,969094.story

As a senior last season, Hurst was projected by draft analysts to land in either the second or third round, until he got hurt. Because of the injury, Hurst could not play in the Senior Bowl or participate in the NFL scouting combine. And he still wasn't 100 percent by his pro day workout this spring.

If not for that unfortunate set of circumstances, Hurst probably would have been drafted instead of being signed to a free-agent deal by the Ravens this week.

The 6-foot-5 300-pound player chose the Ravens over 17 competing offers, largely because the Ravens didn't draft an offensive tackle. Now, Hurst is set to practice with no restrictions at the Ravens' rookie minicamp Friday and Saturday. He's scheduled to play left tackle initially, with the idea that he'll eventually compete at right tackle against 2013 fifth-round pick Rick Wagner.

"Obviously, this is a great opportunity," Hurst said during a telephone interview after signing with the Ravens. "Not being drafted was a disappointment, but signing with a great organization is very exciting. It's all new and I'm learning a lot. It's pretty awesome.

"My leg feels great. I'm finally 100percent now. I'm really moving around well, and I'm doing everything and I'm not limited. I think that surprised some people. I'm excited to just keep getting better."

Before the injury, Hurst had a run of success from his days as a blue-chip recruit growing up in Indianapolis who chose to attend North Carolina after receiving scholarship offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Florida and Georgia.

Hurst became the starting left tackle by the second game of his true freshman season, earning freshman All-America honors. He started a school-record 49 games and was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference first team the past two years.

"I got a lot of experience, specifically from having two different coaching staffs with two different offenses," Hurst said. "That helped me grow my blocking skills and take to an offense more readily and different coaching styles. I'm just trying to use that to my advantage now as I try to learn the Ravens' playbook. I pride myself on my footwork, having good feet and just try to get into a good blocking position."

Hurst's draft stock probably reached its peak when he effectively blocked South Carolina star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney last August.

Hurst held his own against Clowney, reacting quickly to counteract the pass-rushing moves of the eventual top overall pick of the Houston Texans and limited him to three tackles and zero sacks.

Hurst said his confidence got a major boost from his performance against Clowney.

"I think that game meant a lot with Clowney being such a talent and such a good player," Hurst said. "It gave me an opportunity to show teams what I can do and that I can compete with people like that. It showed me what I needed to work to get comfortable in my pass blocking set. It was kind of a preview of the kind of athletes you'll face in the NFL."

Hurst said the injury was definitely a frustrating experience, but emphasized that he's learned a lot from the adversity he went through.

"Looking back, it is a disappointment, but there's nothing you can do about an injury like that," he said. "It was a speed bump. I'm where I'm at right now and I think this is a great situation from what I understand about the opportunity at tackle. No matter what, you still have to make the team whether you were a draft pick or if you go undrafted like me."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookie-minicamp-0515-20140514,0,969094.story#ixzz31msBB5BH

Sounds good! I LIKE HIS ATTITUDE!!!

Sounds good! I LIKE HIS ATTITUDE!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/17/john-harbaugh-likes-what-he-sees-from-jerry-rice-jr/

John Harbaugh likes what he sees from Jerry Rice Jr.

Jerry Rice Jr. is a long shot to make the Ravens’ roster, having been given a training camp tryout after being mostly a backup and special teams guy in college. But so far, coach John Harbaugh likes what he sees from the son of the greatest receiver in NFL history.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you, Jerry Rice, Jr. has done a nice job,” Harbaugh said. “First of all, he is a really good athlete. He doesn’t have his dad’s size, but he’s sure got his athleticism. When you watch him run, he runs in a real similar way. And the other thing is he’s got that West Coast offense down. He has probably had that playbook since he was in the cradle. He knows all the rules on the crossing routes and what to do, very good hands, very smooth athlete. He did a real nice job.”

It wouldn’t be fair to the 5-foot-11, 185-pound Rice to ask him to be the player his dad was. But Rice Jr. says he embraces the expectations that come with his name and his bloodlines, and he challenges himself to try to live up to his father.

“It’s something I’ve been born with,” he said. “I don’t know any better. But you can take it two ways. You can either burn yourself up about it or you can take it as a challenge. So I definitely take it as a challenge. I mean, why not try to be the greatest? You’ve got one chance to do this, why not try to be your best?”

Can Rice stick around with the Ravens beyond this weekend’s tryout?

“I think it’s gone well,” Rice Jr. said. “Regardless of how everything goes, because I know it’s a business, I enjoyed it and I think I did well and I’m proud of myself. All I can do is be thankful for this opportunity.”

Rice Jr. said his dad’s only advice before minicamp was to work hard. That advice served his dad well in the NFL, and it will serve Rice Jr. well whether he ends up making it to the NFL or not.

• Upvote 1