ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Torrey Smith quietly enters his contract year

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/06/torrey-smith-quietly-enters-his-contract-year/

When thinking about the current state of the Ravens’ corps of pass catchers, several names emerge before the player who has every reason to emerge in 2014 as one of the better wideouts in the NFL.

Torrey Smith, a second-round pick in 2011, enters the final year of his rookie contract with no current indication that the Ravens are prepared to extend his deal. In his third season, Smith cracked the 1,000-yard barrier for the first time, generating 1,128 yards on a career-high 65 catches. That puts Smith at No. 17 among all pass-catchers, and it creates a potential conundrum regarding his worth.

On one hand, Smith had a great year given the lack of complementary weapons. On the other hand, a high-end wideout should have had even better numbers, especially without players like Anquan Boldin (who was traded in the 2013 offseason) and tight end Dennis Pitta (who missed most of the year with a dislocated hip) not siphoning off throws.

This year, Smith will be sharing the stage with a healthy Pitta, a newly-arrived Steve Smith, a currently-underrated Owen Daniels, and a frequently-overlooked Jacoby Jones, who contributed 455 yards after missing time with a Week One knee injury. To get a big-money, long-term deal, Smith needs to emerge once again as the top option — and to find an even higher ceiling of production.

This is one of the major issues I see with the Ravens. Get ahead of an issue. Ster negitiating now. I would write a new deal that extends past this yr and get him to sign ASAP. Don't let him have a monster season in his contract yr.

So you want a shallow mediocre team. Well that sounds like it would be very successful.

when in the past 6 years has my team been mediocre? last season was a fluke, so dont go there, Ravens are a better run club then Denver, New England combined

I'm curious as to how much money you think Torrey deserves Craven? If Dez Bryant signs before Torrey, does Torrey deserve what Dez signed for?

I'm curious as to how much money you think Torrey deserves Craven? If Dez Bryant signs before Torrey, does Torrey deserve what Dez signed for?

3.5 and 5.0 a year

Crav, homer aside, Smith is a difficult one to put a fee too, simply because he is inconsitant. He struggles to get off of press, is around 30% in contested catches, and still has yet to learn how to run a proper route, how to sell the double move. With that said, he has shown flashes with some great catches, adjusting to the ball on medium throws, but still struggles to make the deep catch that is slightly off target; he flails, loses speed trying to locate the ball.

Sure, $3-$5 is fair if he corrects some of those issues, but does he think he deserves more if he does correct them? I would like to keep him too, but unless he fixes those issues, you can find similar talent, even if you can't coach speed.

• Upvote 1

Oblivious works for you.

Run to the league with that signed deal. I would expect at least $8 mil a yr if he reaches the market.

Yeah 100% agree to sign him now if we can get him for ~$5 Million. I'm not worried about him having a monster year though, I think the ball is going to be spread around quite a lot this year.

Yeah 100% agree to sign him now if we can get him for ~$5 Million. I'm not worried about him having a monster year though, I think the ball is going to be spread around quite a lot this year.

The ball is going to be spread around, or teams will woory more about Steve Smith and Pitta, and Torrey has a monster year.

Edited by cravnravn

LOL, not a shot in hell he takes a cheap contract, and rightfully so

He definitely deserves top WR money as did Joe earn his top QB money

3.5 and 5.0 a year

you're confusing me, which one is it, does he deserve top wr money or 5.0 a year and isn't 5.0 a year a cheap contract.