ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

If we lose Bannon & Edwards

cravnravn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie found Bannan when he was a backup that no one else had any idea about. Three years later the guy got a big contract to be a starter. It should be not difficult to believe that Ozzie will look through this free agent class and find another Justin Bannan.

Yes, that or below it. We still have those two exceptions that we can use on Free Agents as well, so we can still make a big splash.

I wish I actually knew if we were targeting anyone specific, and who. As it stands, in my mind we're not going to sign anyone who isn't one of our own free agents, but that's only because there's no news to speculate on.

So now that we know Bannan signed a 5 year deal for $22 mil, we can sign someone to that type of deal?

We already could. We can sign as many players as we'd like under $3.7 million in year one + the growth. We can sign one unrestricted free agent for over $5.5 million in year one. Signing a player for a salary equal to or less than a lost player's salary doesn't really come into play until we've used up the high-priced free agent allowance.

Bannan will only make slightly over $2 million in 2010. Even considering the signing bonus, I'm fairly sure that he would fall under the "sign as many players as you'd like at this price" category.

It would be very interesting to put Kemeotu next to Ngata. That would be a very very tough interior. Is their any chance the money would be right to sign him? Anyone have thoughts on that?

I have some thoughts.

1. Kemo may be too hurt to be an effective DT in the NFL anymore, that may be why Carolina released him.

2. If he can still play and just wasn't the right price in Carolina, they could extend a no bonus offer to him and at least bring him in for some OTA's to evaluate him. If he looks good there then maybe use one of the 80 spots in TC on him and let him compete.

3. If he is the Kemo of 2005 than he would well replace Bannan in the run game.

4. They still have options with McKinney and Talavou, although it seems McKinney may be a little to pricey for them at his current contract. They might want to give one of those two the snaps Bannan had to prove themselves.

I have some thoughts.

1. Kemo may be too hurt to be an effective DT in the NFL anymore, that may be why Carolina released him.

2. If he can still play and just wasn't the right price in Carolina, they could extend a no bonus offer to him and at least bring him in for some OTA's to evaluate him. If he looks good there then maybe use one of the 80 spots in TC on him and let him compete.

3. If he is the Kemo of 2005 than he would well replace Bannan in the run game.

4. They still have options with McKinney and Talavou, although it seems McKinney may be a little to pricey for them at his current contract. They might want to give one of those two the snaps Bannan had to prove themselves.

Kemo signed with Washington already, no point in this discussion.

Edwards is still very much in the picture. Teams are scared to give him a long-term deal because of his back injury. I have heard Edwards prefers to stay in Baltimore, between these two factors I could definitely see him coming back. It took Edwards a long time to develop and he finally found a good role in our defense, his potential for individual success is much greater here playing next to Ngata and Suggs in a scheme that fits his talents than anywhere else.

Edwards is still very much in the picture. Teams are scared to give him a long-term deal because of his back injury. I have heard Edwards prefers to stay in Baltimore, between these two factors I could definitely see him coming back. It took Edwards a long time to develop and he finally found a good role in our defense, his potential for individual success is much greater here playing next to Ngata and Suggs in a scheme that fits his talents than anywhere else.

That's sound logic....I hope it works out in our favor. I feel like Edwards is on the tip of a two to three stretch where he'll be highly productive in the right role. Hopefully he realizes that too and wants that production to be here in Bmore.

Yea...looks like it's true...

Edwards reaches deal with Bills

Dwan Edwards reaches an agreement with the Buffalo Bills, according to ESPN.

The Ravens' free-agent defensive end had left his visit without a deal, but the sides reached an agreement later in the day.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/edwards_reaches_deal_with_bills.html

Starting to get thin in the D trenches...

That is a big loss, Edwards busted his ass ever single down this past year for us. I mean the guy was a second round pick and our investment finally paid off only for us to lose him. Why didn't we pay a player like this? Time for Kruger to step up! Put some meat on those bones and get some toughness! Are we going to have to wait four year for Kruger to develop like Edwards?

Time for Kruger to step up! Put some meat on those bones and get some toughness! Are we going to have to wait four year for Kruger to develop like Edwards?

Kruger needs to get toughness? The guy was stabbed in the face nine times, and lived to tell about it.

(I may be slightly off on the details, but he's a tough guy.)

At least Kruger is expecting to contribute as DE next year. As for Edwards, he did solid in 2007 and 2009, besides that nothing.. still solid is not what I expect for the starting DE of Ravens.. More like McCrary or Pryce.

And with the loss of now Edwards and Bannan.. we migth be looking for two compensation picks (5-6?) next year. DE and maybe DT will probably be addressed in the draft or at least after the draft. And DTs I still hope that mcKinney, Talavou and Divins will step up.

2010 has to be Krugers year!

The second-round draft pick hopes that will changes this year by potentially switching from outside linebacker to defensive end.

During the Ravens' voluntary conditioning program, Kruger said his aim is to stack 10-15 pounds on his 6-foot-4, 260-pound frame to become more of a force in the trenches

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/03/Kruger_Working_For_Position_Change.aspx