ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steve Spagnuolo to interview for his old Giants job tomorrow

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/steve-spagnuolo-to-interview-for-his-old-giants-job-tomorrow/

The Giants are going to have a familiar face interviewing for their defensive coordinator job.

Via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh told reporters that secondary coach Steve Spagnuolo had been given permission to interview with the Giants tomorrow.

Spagnuolo helped the Giants to a Super Bowl title, but after failed stints as a head coach in St. Louis and a coordinator in New Orleans, he’s had to rebuild his reputation.

Harbaugh also said he’s still operating under the impression offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak is staying, despite his name being linked to the Denver opening.

“I’m planning on Gary being back,” Harbaugh said. “I’m not anticipating that changing at this time. He’s told me he’s planning on being here. Denver hasn’t reached out in any way at this time.”

Kubiak has said he wants to stay in Baltimore, so unless he changes his mind or the Broncos come calling, they should enjoy some stability.

As much as I hated the "Peesvent" defense I will defend him and say you could have only done so much with what the secondary was this season. Run D and Redzone D was stout. Hurting him too was the of the only (Webb wasn't) healthy draft pick we had in the secondary is turning into a huge bust (Elam).

Yep and with the talent of the defensive tackles, monster weights, and their flexibility to play multiple positions, a 4-3 would not be a bad switch, back.

Well that's an interesting take! I don't know much about Schwartz but the defensive line we have is loaded and surely our LB's could adjust to a 4-3. I guess my question is why did the 4-3 fall out of favor? Seems like everybody runs the 3-4 now.

Well that's an interesting take! I don't know much about Schwartz but the defensive line we have is loaded and surely our LB's could adjust to a 4-3. I guess my question is why did the 4-3 fall out of favor? Seems like everybody runs the 3-4 now.

The 3-4 is more flexible and makes it harder for a QB/O-Line to identify who is rushing on any given play. That's why teams started to favor it.

It never really went away. They switched over to a more predominate 3-4 because they had more talented line backers than they had defensive linemen. Today, now, hey have used the 4-3 at times, as every team does. They also have the linemen to run the 4-3 more often. That is one of the great things about having a player like McFee, he can play the tackle, end or backer position. Williams can play all the positions of the tackles as well.

I doubt they go after him, and yes Crav, he got his start here under Billick.

The 3-4 is more flexible and makes it harder for a QB/O-Line to identify who is rushing on any given play. That's why teams started to favor it.

Good point.

It never really went away. They switched over to a more predominate 3-4 because they had more talented line backers than they had defensive linemen. Today, now, hey have used the 4-3 at times, as every team does. They also have the linemen to run the 4-3 more often. That is one of the great things about having a player like McFee, he can play the tackle, end or backer position. Williams can play all the positions of the tackles as well.

I doubt they go after him, and yes Crav, he got his start here under Billick.

Yeah now I remember that part of the reason was the LB-DL talent issue.