ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

State of the Ravens

oldno82

From the sound of the press conference Torrey could he gone too.

I agree. I am certain the Ravens will only take him back at their number, which no doubt is less than they offered last summer. So he is likely to get a better offer some where else like the Raiders, Browns, some place he can make some oney but win very few games.

I agree. I am certain the Ravens will only take him back at their number, which no doubt is less than they offered last summer. So he is likely to get a better offer some where else like the Raiders, Browns, some place he can make some oney but win very few games.

I am skeptical of the number LaCanfora reported. I am guessing that info was leaked by Torrey's agent or someone associated.

My gut still says Torrey returns. Yes, he will get a better offer elsewhere, but I think we will give him a competitive offer. It will come down to how much he values winning.

Todd McShay in his latest podcast said Devin Smith from OSU is "Torrey Smith with better hands," and could be our target if Torrey leaves. A combination of Devin Smith (or another high round rookie WR) and a free agent pickup like Kenny Britt would be an upgrade for us.

I am skeptical of the number LaCanfora reported. I am guessing that info was leaked by Torrey's agent or someone associated.

My gut still says Torrey returns. Yes, he will get a better offer elsewhere, but I think we will give him a competitive offer. It will come down to how much he values winning.

Todd McShay in his latest podcast said Devin Smith from OSU is "Torrey Smith with better hands," and could be our target if Torrey leaves. A combination of Devin Smith (or another high round rookie WR) and a free agent pickup like Kenny Britt would be an upgrade for us.

I'm not as sold on Devin Smith as McShake is, his route running leaves a lot to be desired and he tends to catch more with the body than the hands, rarely making any contested catches.

Britt is interesting, but can he be consistant, is my question.

Harry Douglas and Brian Hartline were released today. The market is becoming flooded with veteran receivers. Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall and Mike Wallace could be next. Hypothetical question: if the Dolphins release Mike Wallace, what effect does that have on Torrey Smith's contract? Mike Wallace is young enough where he could "double dip" and get another long-term deal. Even in two down years, Wallace's numbers are similar if not better than Torrey's past two seasons. Wallace is only two and a half years older than Torrey. If Wallace is a free agent, he could justify asking for the same deal as Torrey.

Btw the Dolphins offensive play calling was terrible. They had a young quarterback with a rocket and a receiver with speed to burn, but did not take any shots downfield. Wallace is still a very good player and will rebound strong for someone. Even in a down year he was better than most other receivers.

Smith and Wallace are the same receiver for the most part. Neither has consistant hands, nor fights for the ball. Their route running is terrible and are truly only good for going deep.

So yes, their salaries are likely to be the same if he gets released.

I would even say Wallace is a better receiver. When he was in Pittsburgh he was very effective on screen passes and getting YAC on short passes. Torrey isn't as good with this. Regardless, given Torrey's character and that he is younger their values even out.

Anyways my point is: with more receiver options on the market, and a strong draft class, does that drive down Torrey' s value any?

I would even say Wallace is a better receiver. When he was in Pittsburgh he was very effective on screen passes and getting YAC on short passes. Torrey isn't as good with this. Regardless, given Torrey's character and that he is younger their values even out.

Anyways my point is: with more receiver options on the market, and a strong draft class, does that drive down Torrey' s value any?

I would say that is more Ben's doing than anything else.

Were I the Ravens front office, yep, that would drive the price for Smith down, in his mind though, who knows. If the reports are true about the offer he turned down, no, he likely feels he is a better option than anyone on or who will be on the market...

Looks like Torrey could be getting closer to Ozzie's "right player/right price."

Screen-Shot-2013-09-06-at-12.19.24-PM.pn

It is the only move he really has and the only one, free agent wise, that makes sense for the Ravens when you consider salary cap and talent. They can't afford a Maclin, Harvin has trouble playing with others and he may not be released. Even if he is, his asking price will be high.Cobb would be great, but again, they can't afford his asking price. Johnson is really not an answer given his age & injury history.

Either way, the draft is deep, I don't think even the Ravens could screw up most of the receivers in the draft.... :nono: Thus, take Smith back at your price.

I'd take Owen back, seemed he got his timing down with Joe towards the end of the season.

Didn't Denver put the tag on Thomas?

Well if we can't free up substantial cap space, Daniels is an answer.

Denver tagged Demaryius Thomas is what I heard.

The question is when is Owne going to fall apart? Early in the season he looked like a has been.

They didn't put it on the TE.

Yes he did look lost early in the season, as I pointed out, towards the latter part of the season it looked like Joe and Owen were on the same page.

Changing the topic a little bit and examining the RB market.

Forsett is the clear #2 RB production wise after Murray. However, there are a lot of buy low, potentially high reward options similar to Forsett last year: Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller and Darren McFadden are all still young and very talented, just injury prone. Add in a strong RB draft class and there is a lot on the market.

IMO the move is to sign a veteran and draft an RB. My gut is that we re-sign Forsett, but if he leaves we have lots of options.

TC, I really like Spiller and think he would work very well in this system, good vision, quicks, dependable hands for the passing game. Not the greatest blocker, but he will do. I wouldn't mind losing Forsett if they landed Spiller.

Mathews and McFadden have never been healthy for a full season, always having foot/kneee issues that linger and frankly, with their skill sets, the Ravens already have that in the now first year player Tali.

Yes he did look lost early in the season, as I pointed out, towards the latter part of the season it looked like Joe and Owen were on the same page.

Daniels has a lot of miles on him. He looked beat to hell early in the season. He couldn't practice for weeks in camp because his legs were swelling. At what point does that turn into 5 weeks in the regular season?

TC, I really like Spiller and think he would work very well in this system, good vision, quicks, dependable hands for the passing game. Not the greatest blocker, but he will do. I wouldn't mind losing Forsett if they landed Spiller.

Mathews and McFadden have never been healthy for a full season, always having foot/kneee issues that linger and frankly, with their skill sets, the Ravens already have that in the now first year player Tali.

McFadden or Matthews being #2 options should keep them healthy for the majority of the season.