ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Dennis Pitta wants to play again

Tornado700

As a fan, how do you feel about this? Can he make it back? Will the hip go again?

Here's my two cents. I'm sorry Dennis. I'm like the fans at Cleveland last year who gave you a standing ovation on that attempted end sweep. Those fans were on their feet for the same reason. They had all just witnessed a talented young football player take his last snap. Pretty classy, I thought. Pitta was a great tight end. Can he ever regain that? I'm afraid to find out. Really.

But, it's not up to me, or Ozzie, or Coach Harbaugh, or the tight end coach, or us. It's up to Dennis and his doctors. What do you think?

I think he can make it back but the operative word is 'think'. I'm not sure at all it would hold up. If it was me, I'd call it a career and move on so that I could enjoy an active life with my family.

But it's really up to Dennis and the doctors just like you said. If they clear him to play...well. we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Great read and Pitta highlights on Ravens.com today. Dennis even dunked the goal post. My quess is IF Dennis gets the clearance from his doctors, the Ravens will start him out on the PUP list. This will hold Pitta with the Ravens for six weeks while getting some good looks at Maxx, Boyle, and Gilmore in training camp. I'm starting to believe Pitta might just make it back. If so, the Ravens will have one of the very best tight end groups in the league.

Great read and Pitta highlights on Ravens.com today. Dennis even dunked the goal post. My quess is IF Dennis gets the clearance from his doctors, the Ravens will start him out on the PUP list. This will hold Pitta with the Ravens for six weeks while getting some good looks at Maxx, Boyle, and Gilmore in training camp. I'm starting to believe Pitta might just make it back. If so, the Ravens will have one of the very best tight end groups in the league.

He went down without being touched. He is not wearing all the equipt and trying to make hard cuts.

If he comes back, I would definitely PUP him. How can you have any confidence he'd last with the way it happened last time (i.e, no contact). A good long look with him PUP-ed is a good idea. Plus like you said, it gives a talented bunch of young TE's a chance to play and shine.

I have mixed feelings on this.

First....let competition decide who the best are. Maybe one or 2 of these new guys isn't so hot. Put our best 3 on the field.

But....I don't want to lose youth for a player who might not last a year.

I don't want to lose a roster spot to somebody who may not contribute.

All mixed up here.

Dennis was a proven playmaker. Is he still? The Ravens sorely need playmakers and chain movers at that position....and good run blockers.

Have a hard time believing he can make it through the pre- season and remains healthy enough to be a viable part of the Offense by week 1. Yet, the dude is a baller when healthy.

To the extent he doesn't stunt the growth of Williams and the other young TEs, Pitta deserves a shot like everyone else.

Let's see where this goes.

Put him on the PUP list and shut him down for 6 weeks of the season. See what we have in the rookies and Gilmore and then make a decision if we need him back or not. That gives him a bit more time to test it out in practice and gives us time to see if we need him or not.

pup is a terrible idea. don't pup players practice but can't be active. why waist a chance that he'll get hurt before we get anything from him. Put him out there until he can't play then IR him. He doesn't take a spot on the IR.

They are not allowed to practice until I think wee 4 then they are allowed to be active after week 6 and finally they have to be activated or IRed after week 9.

They can still pup him.

Show me this rule. Stalwart was not allowed to be PUP list because he practiced before his foot injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-pup-injured-nfi-designations-170003668.html

The Reserve/PUP is the regular season equivalent of the Active/PUP, but with slightly different rules. A player on the Active/PUP list automatically moves to Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp, provided he hasn't practiced with the team. Once a player moves off the Active/PUP list during camp and starts practicing, he is automatically ineligible for Reserve/PUP.

Keith Mills thought Stallworth was eligible for the PUP list.