ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Sometimes a good old arse kicking is good for you

Tornado700

Yep. Who knows; maybe some of the players and coaches bought into Peter King's predictions, Chip Kelly's affirmation of Joe's elite status, and all the other pundit's bold proclamations of this teams' SB worthiness.

Still, it's one lousy game where a disinterested, uninspired team got trashed in a pre-season game. Yet, being taken behind the woodshed is humbling and eye opening.

Let's see who shows up and what substance they bring this weekend at home against the skins.

The whole team broke down and looked very bad.

Nothing was clearer than last night on this being a team sport. All it takes is 1 player, on one play, to blow his assignment or get a penalty and it negates the efforts of the other 10 players. Do this enough, like the Ravens did last night, and you get blown out of the stadium.

This team is not as deep as we thought.

I was suprised since Harbs said the joint practices went so well before the game. None of of these probs showed up then as far as we

know but think of the bright side.

Stan White said in 2d half the RBs have been one of the few bright spots in the game. Ravens

have several good

RB for the year. kevin Byrne wrote during the week and Taliaferro is the real deal.

Somebody mentioned WR Brown during the week. He did well last night and caught a big pass with the

scrubs. The CB got his hands on the ball but he stayed with it and caught it and he's another big boy

ala Perriman that Trestman likes.

Waller continues to impress with a TD and sideline catch. He's making the team and I believe he will start by week 4.

Arthur Brown finally showed up. He was one of the best line backers in college but a big bust here. Yet, several teams tried to trade for him and Ozzie just refused to trade him. the best LBs.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree 100% with every post here. It looks like the entire team went into Philly with no urgency and a deep sense of complacency, evidenced by their number of penalties. Yes, it was one game, but an ass kicking like this has to make the coaches look harder at this team. Let's admit it. As a team, we did not look good in both games. So far, our second string defense has stunk up the field. Will it get straightened out? Absolutely, no doubt about it. But, it appears that this team has a long way to go.

They just really looked that they didn't want to play last night. I don't know if maybe the intensity of the practices has been too heavy and guys are worn out already. I seemed to see a lot of guys just standing around waiting for the game to be over. Hopefully it's just a one time aberration.

I hope we kick Washington's butt next week.

@AlbertBreer: Number of coaches have told me they get more out of joint practices than preseason games. And it feels like there are less injuries. So ...

@AlbertBreer: Of course, it's not up to coaches (or players or anyone on the football side) to replace preseason games with joint practices. And ... $$$$.

@AlbertBreer: Aaron Rodgers' comments were pointed about preseason -- called games "meaningless". Steelers guys I talked to said he was dejected postgame.

@AlbertBreer: Rodgers may soften his comments, but he has a point. NFL is only level of football with anywhere near this amount of game action preseason.

I wonder at what point coaches don't even play starters in the preseason? They are truly meaningless.

While not an excuse for coming out so flat on all sides of the ball, one commentator did make the point about game planning. There is next to no game planning going on for these preseason games and that Chip's offense is really hard to defend against if you are not keying on certain situations.

Having watched a lot of Pac-10/Pac-12 ball I can attest that the passive game plan we had out there on D does not work against Chip's O. Man Coverage and being aggressive along the line (and with LBs) with shooting gaps is key. You have to get into the backfield and stop the play early.

On a side note, what T Suggs did to Bradford is absolutely what you should be doing on every option play, hit the QB. 1 of 2 things will happen. The QB will get injured or he will start handing the ball off a lot quicker. Whatever the result when Chip is down to his 3rd QB in the game he will quickly yank the read option OR the option will be less effective if the QB is handing the ball off or throwing it a lot quicker because he is tired of getting hit.

While not an excuse for coming out so flat on all sides of the ball, one commentator did make the point about game planning. There is next to no game planning going on for these preseason games and that Chip's offense is really hard to defend against if you are not keying on certain situations.

Having watched a lot of Pac-10/Pac-12 ball I can attest that the passive game plan we had out there on D does not work against Chip's O. Man Coverage and being aggressive along the line (and with LBs) with shooting gaps is key. You have to get into the backfield and stop the play early.

On a side note, what T Suggs did to Bradford is absolutely what you should be doing on every option play, hit the QB. 1 of 2 things will happen. The QB will get injured or he will start handing the ball off a lot quicker. Whatever the result when Chip is down to his 3rd QB in the game he will quickly yank the read option OR the option will be less effective if the QB is handing the ball off or throwing it a lot quicker because he is tired of getting hit.

I agree 100%, but the effort or lack there of, was missing a lot in this game as well.

On the Suggs hit, yep, hit the qb hard each time. It looked worse than it was. If people would just see the play for what it is they will see Suggs going in at Bradford's mid section, but Bradford turns slightly away, which causes Suggs to drift lower. The intent was there, hit the qb until he makes it very clear he does not have the ball. The intent to harm, or injure, was not. Perfectly legal play.

Eisenberg makes a good pont. It's not time to jump off a ledge yet.

Last year, NE lost to Skins by 23 points in first game of the season and won

the SB so go figure.

So even if Ravens lose to Denver by 23 points don't fret. There's plenty of

time to turn it around. That said, with the secondary still bad and the

linebackers inability to cover , you have my

permission to worry.

www.baltimoreravens.com