ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Where is this team headed ?

varaven45

As I was lamenting over the team's early season misfortunes, I happened to catch Colin Cowherd salivating over the Bengals and Pats early season success - which is hard to argue. Then I was listening ad nauseam to NFL Network and how the Pats can do no wrong, even drafting their kicker Gostkowski to replace Adam V back in 06/07. Again, hard to argue.

In looking back over the past few years, ours is the only D that has shut down NE's vaunted offense. Granted, it was with Ray, Reed, Ngata, Pollard (who took out Gronk) in our last SB run. That formula worked then but it ran its course.

If you are the Biscuit & the FO, we've got to establish/create a new defensive identity moving forward. A reinvented D that designed to manhandle and dominate the current and emerging offensive schemes and athletes. I am certain Pees isn't the guy to coach em and not sure Ozzie can scout or draft em. We've got to hire someone who can lead this current/future breed of athletes, their skill set and mentality.

One positive out of this defensive implosion is this - we can start to design the next defensive scheme and target the right skill set/players.

Sometimes you got to take your lumps and look to the future. I'd rather suck it up now, get worked for a year or two (max), reload/rebuild the D (and O) and position ourselves for the next run.

Funny how the offense has had so many problems since losing Torrey and Kubiak, I get it that Perriman was supposed to be the new Torrey but he can't get on the field to practice let alone play.

The offense, and Flacco, look a little lost with Trestman. I think I've seen just one rollout pass off play action so far this year.

Harbs said he is making no coaching changes; right now. This does not mean Biscutt won't or after the season, Harbs won't, just not right now, hmmm

any who- they have the foundation of good, (key word) young talent on the defensive line, tackles that go four-five deep; beef cakes too boot. They have an emerging defensive end, who needs to bulk up and learn up some moves. They have one corner, even if he is past his true prime, Smith can still play pretty well....

After that, it is plug & no play. So they need a few corners, two safeties (Ok one is locked in and really not that bad), an edge rusher and line backers (ok they have one young guy too early to truly give up, yet)

So in reality, this defense is not that far off, remember, all of the defensive linemen can not only stop the run, they can rush the passer, collaspe the pocket well, at least in the first half of games, depth/conditioning keeps them from being effective in the 2n half of games.

They are a couple of decent corners who are not starters but good dime backs, ok nickle backs, but injuries and sucktitude have forced them into starting roles, seeing more playing time that exposes them.

Yes, I agree, a new defensive coordinator is needed, I am certain, after the season, there will be one. This is not the first year the defense has failed to protect elads under Pees. They might be waiting to see what happens with Pogano, if he gets canned they may bring him back. I know, I know, he "swears" he will not coach again after the Colts' gig. If not him, I would not be shocked and would be happy, if they gave the job to Brooks.

Tressman has to go. We've seen him in Chicago, no imagination, some speculated it was because of Cutler, but so far, we've seen nothing to get match-ups, to get players open. Nothing from the tight ends, which would have worked great down the seams against the Browns, which works great against most every team; these are young, athletic, talented tight ends, no reason to not use them......

Some kind of rebuild I think, hopefully not a long one. The offense is not the problem but I would love to see Ozzie and the FO stop treating offense like an afterthought and worry as much about it as defense. With the rules now I think its more important than ever to have a first rate offense.

Funny how the offense has had so many problems since losing Torrey and Kubiak, I get it that Perriman was supposed to be the new Torrey but he can't get on the field to practice let alone play.

The offense, and Flacco, look a little lost with Trestman. I think I've seen just one rollout pass off play action so far this year.

They scored 30 points....more than enough if there wasn't a JV defense. 11th ranked offense. 10th in points per game.

Trestman scored enough points, 30, to win Sunday but the defense lost it primarily with all the injuries but if they score

33 points then you don't stand a chance to win despite the reasons.

Trestman scored 33 pts vs OAK but derfense gave up 37.

Trestman beat Piss scoring only 23 pts but defense came thru in that game, the only game.

Trestman only scored 13 pts in Denver but with a brand new offense Joe was using for the first time in a regular game.

Trestman scored 28 pts vs Cinci which should have been enough but defense lost itl.

Don't blame the woes on Trestmans and he line was decimated early in Denver as Monroe just came back Sunday

and held off a strong rush on the left side as KO demolished his man the entire game on the left side. The o-line

has had injuries too but scored all those points above.

In first 3 games Ravens lost all 3 in last 3 mins of game on 1 play in each game and are 4 plays from a perfect season.

Its clear that all the current D that supposedly "plays like a Raven" is the Harbaugh/Pees is the soft/no swagger version. Granted, we've lost personnel but so has every other team.

Our D no longer has a swagger, puts fear in any opposition. And its very, very frustrating and ticking me off. We need to right this ship !

They scored 30 points....more than enough if there wasn't a JV defense. 11th ranked offense. 10th in points per game.

I'd still like to see some more imaginative play-calling. Not calling for Trestman's head, just a little more diversity in play calling. Of course, with the WR section so depleted that may be hard for anyone to do.