ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

No Playmakers on Ravens in 2015

vmax

The front office now starts one of the most crucial offseasons in franchise history. Injuries played a part in the team's demise this season, but as it turned out, this was a flawed team with not enough playmakers. Ozzie Newsome and company need to change that.http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/bal-ravens-bengals-instant-analysis-20160103-story.html

Zrebiec Nails it............All the Analysts are saying it....

What's the one thing that absolutely needs to change this offseason? Find playmakers. The knee-jerk reaction is to blame this dismal season on injuries. But the Ravens were struggling long before all eight starters were placed on injured reserve. Baltimore’s biggest problem is the lack of players who can change games. On offense, the Ravens produced just six touchdowns over 20 yards. On defense, Baltimore forced a team-record low 14 turnovers – which are eight fewer (22) than any of the 19 previous seasons. The hope is first-round pick Breshad Perriman will provide a spark after not playing a down in 2015. But there is still a desperate need for players who can deliver big plays on both sides of the ball.http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/24940/five-key-questions-facing-the-baltimore-ravens-this-offseason

Mike Preston, columnist: Throughout the season the Ravens got better as a football team, especially in the last month of the season. But if you don't have playmakers and you don't have speed, you're not going to win many games against the best teams in the NFL, which is why the Ravens lost three of their last four games.

And we know it...as does the rest of the NFL.

This roster did not quit or lay down. They gave their all every game. You can build on that if you can find playmakers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. We've all been saying this for quite some time. Ozzie and Co need to hit it out of the park this offseason - on both sides of the ball.

.The FO needs to get its collective arse together and acquire/draft some damn playmakers. I'm sick and tired of watching the dang Steelers and Bengals loading and reloading at the WR position.

I'm tired of in Ozzie We Trust and BPA. We need some accountability and some talent in the field.

Let's get er done !

Yep. We've all been saying this for quite some time. Ozzie and Co need to hit it out of the park this offseason - on both sides of the ball.

.The FO needs to get its collective arse together and acquire/draft some damn playmakers. I'm sick and tired of watching the dang Steelers and Bengals loading and reloading at the WR position.

I'm tired of in Ozzie We Trust and BPA. We need some accountability and some talent in the field.

Let's get er done !

My sentiments exactly. The Bengals and Steelers don't seem to have any problem getting/producing batches of playmaking WR's.

Let's get er done !

Yep, everyone on this board & I am sure other message boards.

The easiest need is at wide out. One of the major reasons they struggle in the red zone is because they lack quickness, suddenness at the wide out position. Everyone is focused on speed, and yes they too need speed at the position. But they need quickness more than anything. In the red zone, they need some one who can make one quick move to get separation in the congested area.

Smith sr won so much down there because he can stop & start on a dime. They need this again. It also helps in getting separation in the field of play. There are a number of players coming out in the draft, worthy of the first round pick, even into the late 2nd, who have quickness, jitters, jukes, pick a word, with very good hands.

They also need a wide out who can adjust to the ball in the air. This helps down field as well as in the red zone- thus they should choose Treadwell in the first. While he doesn't have the suddenness, he does use his big frame and strength to break free on man coverage, he is very good at using his hand slow to "push off" and not get caught. His huge hands, long arms and great body control allow him to make the circus catch, even with one hand.

Just by drafting him, the Ravens would score more touchdowns in the red zone, that equates to more wins. They would complete more down field passes, more third downs, just with him.

If Camp can stay healthy, he has the jitters for the red zone, for crossing routes, for run after the catch, But he can't stay healthy so they have to bring some one else in to compete...

Defense, they need a safety who can make plays, who has instincts, speed, smarts.Jalen Ramsey fits that need. They won't get him in the 2nd but can get him in the first and look to the second round though, he may not even be there at the Ravens pick. But either he or Treadwell should be. They can't go wrong with either of them.

They could go Jayron Kearse in the 2nd, from Clemson, a play makers, play maker. Good tackler, instincts, speed, but he does need to improve coverage skills to some extent.

Or, take Corey Coleman in the 2nd if they go safety in the first. Smaller wide out with great quickness, speed, hands, body control, tremendous route runner, NFL ready.....

Four player makers the Ravens will have a real chance to add to the team in the first 2 rounds.

I tell what potential playmaker I'd love to see us sign in the offseason - Doug Baldwin, Seatlle.

The dude has game and is a FA. Imagine him with SSS. Aiken and the TE Corps.

Pipe dream ? Maybe, but he would fit in nicely. In 2016

I think Seattle signed him to an extension. He won't be a free agent until 2017.

Saw a number of his games, a great potential player. However, my fear were the Ravens to draft him, he would not "evolve" as they rarely develop talent at this position. Still, in the 3rd or 4th, if they have not done what we hope in rounds 1 & 2, I would love to see him....

Are you guys saying we need a new receivers' coach?

No. I am not. I like Bobby Engram a lot. I think he has a lot of coaching potential. He is a player's coach and is well spoken.

This problem goes a lot deeper than the WR coach. We haven't developed a receiver in 20 years. It's an organizational problem. Look at David Shaw, head coach at Stanford. He was our WR coach under Billick. He got hammered for being a bad coach. Receivers didn't do this, didn't do that and everyone said it was his fault. That didn't stop him from becoming a top head coach in college football, turning down NFL head coaching interviews. No one would say Stanford receivers are poorly coached.

I like Engram too but then what is the reason we can't develop any? Poor talent selection? That means the FO.

Yes, it's a front office problem. We have historically picked WRs that don't fit our system. In Chicago, Trestman had big receivers who can get downfield and high point the ball. Doesn't have that here. Cam Cameron's Air Coryell offense in San Diego also had big downfield receivers like Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd. He never got that here. The best utilization of talent we had at WR was with Kubiak's offense and the play action.

Look at the Steelers: Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, and Coates. Speed, speed, speed! All guys in a similar mold who play fast and can get in and out of cuts. The Steelers teach them from there. The Steelers drafted all of these guys. Even with a deep receiving corp, they drafted Sammy Coates in the third round last year. He didn't get PT this season, but he's going to be waiting in the wings.

While guys like Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin and Steve Smith have been great, we have used these vets as stop gaps neglecting to prioritize receiver early in the draft. In addition, throw in poor vet stop gaps like Jacoby Jones, TJ Housh, Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, Kevin Johnson, Frank Sanders and Marcus Robinson, and we have failed to develop an identity at receiver.

These type of past-their-prime warm bodies don't allow much room on the roster to draft young guys and give them PT. You don't see the Steelers making these sorts of WR signings.

Yea, the Squeelers have all those receivers listed above and both their guys right now

vs Denver in their playoff game had

over 100 yards by the 2d qtr vs Denver. Antonio Brown had 189 yards by the 2d qtr.

This is what we need.

That said, with all those great weapons, Ravens have same number of SB trophies as they

do in the modern era w/o a QB and a WR in SB 35.

Ozzie does make up for it and won all those playoff games signing Mason, Boldin and SR who

almost got us to SB last year with a banged up defense.

That said, all those weapons the Squeerls have is why I want Treadwell in the draft. Bring back a

healthy Perriman and we have the fastest two players in the last two drafts and watch Joe go to

work with those weapons plus a bulked up Maxx and Ozzie can still get a good CB in the 2d round

but we'd have all that speed like Piss with Treadwell and a healthy Perriman.

NOTE ON BOLDIN: We don't win SB 47 w/o him and the 3d down play. It broke SFs back and he

had even a better year in SF, a monster year where he did better.

Speaking of no play makers, did anyone notice in the Squeelers game in Denver

that Toussaint fumbled the ball which was picked up by Denver and then they marched

down the field for the deciding TD. Denver even made the 2 pt conversion and standing

up.

Toussant was drafted by the Ravens and was the last man cut. Pissburgh picked him up

and he played in 5 games this year. Had 40 some yards but lost it big today.

Tough break.

http://www.nfl.com/player/fitzgeraldtoussaint/2550738/profile

Yea, the Squeelers have all those receivers listed above and both their guys right now

vs Denver in their playoff game had

over 100 yards by the 2d qtr vs Denver. Antonio Brown had 189 yards by the 2d qtr.

This is what we need.

That said, with all those great weapons, Ravens have same number of SB trophies as they

do in the modern era w/o a QB and a WR in SB 35.

Ozzie does make up for it and won all those playoff games signing Mason, Boldin and SR who

almost got us to SB last year with a banged up defense.

That said, all those weapons the Squeerls have is why I want Treadwell in the draft. Bring back a

healthy Perriman and we have the fastest two players in the last two drafts and watch Joe go to

work with those weapons plus a bulked up Maxx and Ozzie can still get a good CB in the 2d round

but we'd have all that speed like Piss with Treadwell and a healthy Perriman.

NOTE ON BOLDIN: We don't win SB 47 w/o him and the 3d down play. It broke SFs back and he

had even a better year in SF, a monster year where he did better.

I'm getting ready to jump on the Treadwell bandwagon. We need multiple threats. SR may not be the same next year and I haven't heard anything about how Perriman is doing now. However, you have to salivate over the prospect of having all three plus Aiken healthy and productive next year.

Of note, the most of the "play makers" who are or were in the playoffs were not first round picks. They were developed by coaching staffs & put in positions to maximize their abilities.

What makes Steve Smith so good is his quickness in small spaces, Camp is the only one on the team besides SS, who has this ability. If he can stay healthy, it bodes well for the team. If not, maybe they need to look at a quicker one, later in the draft. This draft, in my opinion, is vital to how this team recovers moving forward. With a good draft, they can return to being contenders as early as next year, and for the future. With another poor draft, they will be what we saw this past year, for quite some time.

Ditto on the later rounds for receivers. I posted that on another thread and mentioned

Brandon Marshal, Boldin and Hiney Ward as play makers taken in the middle rounds

or later.

Another poor draft? By whom? Ozzie? LOL

You just mentioned Campy as a possibility drafted by Ozzie in the 7th round two years ago.

And speaking of playmakers, Ozzie has one of them too but he was out all year but if he

comes back and drafts Treadwell, he'll have his 2 playmakers and the fastest two players

in the last two drafts. Treadwell should be there and would be the BPA.

Mosley was runner up for D-ROY beaten out by Donald. CJ beat out Shazier drafted by Piss

who had a good playoff game vs Denver Sunday and is upcoming while CJ slumped but Im

calling it the sophomore slump - hopefully. CJ won year 1 while Shazier won year 2 but he

didn't have D. Smith around him taking tackles.

OK, Elam was a miss but so were all the top safeties drafted in that class. Ricky Vacarro of the

Saints was suspended. Ozzie still needs help there but should be able to get it in this draft

after taking his weapon in round 1. Some good cover guys will be there.

Another guy drafted two years ago was Gilmore and with the additions of Maxx and Nicky Boyle

from whittle bitty Delaware who is the best blocker on the line, they were all voted as the top 15 TEs in football. There was even a discussion here on trading Gilmore for a play maker.

Jernigan is another blue chipper who's is still finding his way but has had his moments.

I posted a link a few weeks ago calling Brand Williams and Donald of the Rams as the best pockett

rushers in NF. Brandon was s 3rd round pick.

Ozzie also signed SR and D. Smith along the way to fill up holes and he drafted Urschel who filled

in once again at Center when Zuttah went down. He is our future Center. He also won the wild card game for the first time ever with an undrafted Hurst at LT. He also signed Melvin off the street to win the

wild card game in Piss. He also drafted the best RG in the game and last year Ravens

had the best RG and RT in the game after drafting Wagner as RT two years ago and with a

broken foot at the time while other teams ignored him.

This year after Urschel was plugged in at Center, Ryan was plugged in at LG to take KO's place

after he was plugged in for Monroe's at LT and could leave for a big pay day. Ravens always have a

next man up on the line. Ryan has been battling sleep apnea since training camp.

Last year Ravens had best right side of an oline in football and the line was rated in top 5 for run

block this year, it was top 2 last year. It was ranked around 9 by football outsiders over all.

KJ was the best blocking FB in his draft couple of years ago.

Ozzie's #1 pick last year should be back but was injured like so many others on the team this

year.

Oz just needs to concentrate on the secondary and draft a Treadwell and Ravens will be back

in playoff again next year - more than most teams this side of NE.

Ravens problems weren't for a lack of drafting. Again, all the top safeties in Elam's class were

bad.

All that said, this is still the most critical draft since the 01 draft after they won SB35 and they

had to gut the team the next year. Ozzie got a Heap, Hartwell and Rabac. Not bad as Heap won

a lot of playoff games for Ravens and Hartwell became one of the best rushers in NFL and

Rabac a tope lineman going to Skins.

Oz will do it again drafting higher than ever since, well, he took Jamal Lewis with his last pick

that high up. Don't forget all these recent drafts you mentioned as being poor were at or near

the bottom most year.

IN OZ WE TRUST