ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Reed finally speaks: Hip at 35%, 4 to 6 month process to fully recover

thundercleetz

From Hensley's Twitter:

Reed said it's a 4 to 6 month process to fully recover. He had hip surgery after the draft. #Ravens

Reed said he had reconstructive hip surgery. "They took about 6-7 inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore." #Ravens

Reed on Sirius: "I want to be ready for the first game but I don’t know how soon that would happen, how soon I would be back." #Ravens

#Ravens safety Ed Reed tells Sirius radio that he's 35 percent right now and doesn't know If he'll be ready to start the season.

This does not sound too good. Ed had the surgery sometime at the end of April. Four-to-six months puts him returning anytime from the end of August to the end of October. The season starts Monday, September 13 for us. That is probably Reed's target date. However, it has been a little under two months since the surgery and Reed is only at an estimated 35% recovery. That puts him on schedule to take the full six month recovery period. Add in the fact he has to get himself into football shape and that means he could easily miss up to the first six games of the season. Could Reed be a PUP list candidate?

Good thing we signed Hamlin. Zibby played admirably last season filling in for Reed. Hopefully he has gotten better this offseason and the competition between between Zibby and Hamlin will make both players better giving us a solid short-term replacement for Reed.

Ewww now the transcript of the interview is released and it seems like the Ravens pressured Reed last season to play on the torn labrum. Reed doesn't seem too happy:

Ed Reed says he's at 35 percent after playing with torn labrum

It also sounds as if some friction may have arisen between player and team regarding the handling of the hip injury, especially since the surgery didn't happen until April.

"You know, there's some business stuff out there, you know, dealing with the team and dealing with the organization for a long time and, you know, taking care of things the way I've taken care of things for my surgery and, you know, seeing doctors without really their consent or talking to them much," Reed said. "I told them about the surgery and made sure I made them aware. But just dealing with those organizational business things, you know, some of those things have to be taken care of also. So my percentage, I honestly couldn't tell you right now. My doctors were excited with my progress. I'm on my off week right now. They didn't have me working out this week so it's been great but, you know, I don't know, man. I could be at least a good 35 percent right now, man. But I'm walking so that's a huge thing. I'm walking and messing with my kids this week. You know, I even had to do a little running but nothing major where I had any pain."

If there's friction, it possibly comes in part from the fact that Reed finished the year by playing with a bad hip -- and by making the situation worse.

"I mean, I played the last couple of games with a torn labrum and just messed my hip up worse, you know, going back out there and doing things the way I was able to do things," Reed said. "It was at a high level but, you know, don't want to go back and play in pain, man, and don't want it to be weak at all. So that's gonna play a big part in what I'm doing."

If anything, for all those Ed Reed bashers who say he lost a step, try walking on a torn labrum, much less playing at an elite level level intercepting Peyton Manning twice. If he takes his time and comes back 100%, you have to like his ability to continue to play at a high level.

Here is an alternative view from an insider over on the Orioles Hangout Ravens message board. This guy is legit with his information. Even if it is not accurate, it is a potential angle to keep your eye on:

Nah, he just doesn't want to participate in camp. Never has.

Prepare to bump this thread for this: Ed will come back to the team after camp breaks. He'll tell the media how great it was that he was able complete his rehab and that he feels the best he has in years.

Maybe he trickles in at the end for some light duty...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2188022#post2188022

It's good news that Ed can get healthy but bad news for his football career. I'd be surprised if Ed plays again. That's just too much going wrong on his body.

Well...here's the Ravens biggest challenge this season...starting of with a new secondary. They did that last year and got tourched until that group developed in the system.

It's good news that Ed can get healthy but bad news for his football career. I'd be surprised if Ed plays again. That's just too much going wrong on his body.

Well...here's the Ravens biggest challenge this season...starting of with a new secondary. They did that last year and got tourched until that group developed in the system.

Yep. Its time to prepare for life after Reed. We better get used to it, cuz it will be life after Ray Ray soon thereafter.

Its not happening all at once, but our organization and fans need to be realistic and strategically prepare for a changing of the guard on the D.

Lets face it, Reed has been a walking deadman for the past couple of years. He consistently dishes off the rock after an INT for fear of further damaging his neck. He has made a few ill advised fumbles in the process which still pale in comparison to his huge game winning/changing plays over the past decade whihc will make him a first ballot HOF. Still, his best is clearly behind him.

On a positive note, I think we have a good blend of youth and veteran presence on the D side of the ball. You cant replace Ray or Ed but only prepare for the transition. I think we are doing that well.

Lets face it, Reed has been a walking deadman for the past couple of years. He consistently dishes off the rock after an INT for fear of further damaging his neck. He has made a few ill advised fumbles in the process which still pale in comparison to his huge game winning/changing plays over the past decade whihc will make him a first ballot HOF. Still, his best is clearly behind him.

This is exactly what I was saying. It would have been better to trade him before that old deal was done and have younger guys that are ready to go now.

This is exactly what I was saying. It would have been better to trade him before that old deal was done and have younger guys that are ready to go now.

It is not that simple. I have heard that Reed is very well liked in the lockerroom. What I have heard is that the younger guys, and even vets, look up to him a lot for leadership. Reed is very silent, but is respected and a very hard worker who puts lots of time in the film room and invites other members of the secondary over to his house. To a lot of the younger guys is has been their idol growing up (like Webb). He has a very strong voice in the lockerroom and keeps a lot of the team chemistry together. You trade a guy like Reed, players start to get upset and very paranoid. Word then gets out around the league very quickly that we are not a loyal organization as players talk to other players. Guys will then start to undermine the coaching staff and not trust the front office. You don't want an organization like that.

There is no loyalty in pro sports. Where did you get an idea like that?

Was the team loyal when they cut Keith Fitzhugh? What about with Cleo Lemon? I get it they were loyal when they cut Steven Hauschka.

So was Jason Brown loyal to the team when he signed with the Rams? Maybe Bart Scott was when he went to NY.

It is a business, nothing more nothing less. The team must put themselves in the best possible position to win. The players have to find the best place for them finacially and or personally.

If the Ravens had traded Reed 5 yrs ago Webb would never have had any personal relationship with Ed to have severed.

• Downvote 1

There is no loyalty in pro sports. Where did you get an idea like that?

Was the team loyal when they cut Keith Fitzhugh? What about with Cleo Lemon? I get it they were loyal when they cut Steven Hauschka.

So was Jason Brown loyal to the team when he signed with the Rams? Maybe Bart Scott was when he went to NY.

It is a business, nothing more nothing less. The team must put themselves in the best possible position to win. The players have to find the best place for them finacially and or personally.

If the Ravens had traded Reed 5 yrs ago Webb would never have had any personal relationship with Ed to have severed.

I definitely see your point. You always want your best players on the field. You don't want to hold on to old players whose performance hinders the team on the field. My point is there is a fine line between holding on to a player too long and knowing when to get rid of them. Getting rid of Reed five years ago? It would have definitely been a risk. Reed is still at the top of his game when he is on the field, he is still an asset to this team. But like you say, you get rid of him five years ago and maybe he doesn't get to the point where he is so influencial in the lockerroom. It is hard to know exactly when to get rid of a player. It is easy with 20-20 vision.

Reed has a lot of pull in that lockerroom right now. You get rid of him now and there is an immediate backlash. Players start to undermind the coach and it does affect performance on the field. Get rid of Reed five years ago and maybe it isn't so bad. But the guy was (and still is) an elite safety, so how do you replace that? The Patriots are really good with knowing who to keep around and when to get rid of certain players. Other teams, such as the Broncos and Eagles, have in recent years had lockerrooms that aren't as strong because of the way they have treated their players.

I guess the bottom line is just like you say, you put the best players on the field and you win, there are no problems. However if you get rid of your most popular players and you lose, that is the first thing people start to question. That is the risk you take. So if you are going to get rid of Reed, you better be darn sure you can replace him and still continue to win without him. FYI, we were 1-5 without him in 2005 and 2-2 without him last season. 2005 was a very bad year for us team chemistry-wise.

The Pats and the Steelers both cut ties with guys early. Most of the time it works out well for them. Lawyer Maloy being one of the big ones they let go of and it was startling but had no effect on the team.

Not sure about the patriots, but the Steelers and the Ravens have been pretty identical and for the most part it has been very good with that kind of continuity, however in Billicks last year and Harbs now two years, we have been making a serious change to a much younger roster, in the same periode.. the steelers not so much.

When did you last study the Steelers roster, they have 19-20 players who is + 30 and 8-12 of them would be starters, most of them have only been with the Steelers, some of them have been Ex steelers who they now have resigned.. Foote, mcfadden, Lefty and Randle El...

We have 12 players who is + 30.. most of them is free agents, who we have signed the last 2-3 years, so who is those old Ravens you are talking about? Who we keep for ages..? Gregg, Heap and Reed neither of them is not actually very old.. except you migth make an argument like.. their bodies migth be older than the average NFL Player and then we have Ray. And except for those four and Birk and Mason, none of the others would be safe starters, not Pryce anno 2010, Ayanbadeyo, Harris, Stallworth, Bulger, Fischer.. and then the kicker Graham.

Ravens made a serious rebuilding in the 2002 season (mostly Defense) and now in the 2007-2008 season (mostly offense). We have said goodbye to most of the starters and key backups.. And some of them was not that easy for most fans.. Like AD and JB (btw did you love those departures?).. and maybe if you ask some fans.. Mughelli, Mulitalo, Pashos, C-mac, Jamal, Stover, Leonhard and Scott... Even kelley washington and dare I say Boller and DvD.

Steelers that don't get to come back.

Willie Parker

Najeh Davenport

Bryant McFadden

Alan Faneca

Clark Haggans

Joey Porter

Antwaan Randle El

Kimo von Oelhoffen

Plaxico Burress

Kendrell Bell

Amos Zereoue

Mark Bruener

Josh Miller

Also off the top of my head I recall Keven Greene being allowed to walk. Oh yeah that guy Rod Woodson too.

Steelers that don't get to come back.

Willie Parker

Najeh Davenport

Bryant McFadden

Alan Faneca

Clark Haggans

Joey Porter

Antwaan Randle El

Kimo von Oelhoffen

Plaxico Burress

Kendrell Bell

Amos Zereoue

Mark Bruener

Josh Miller

Also off the top of my head I recall Keven Greene being allowed to walk. Oh yeah that guy Rod Woodson too.

You are funny I am telling you, they are back!

Not sure what you criteria is, Josh Miller.. Zastudil would be a better ex., Kendrell Bell.. Weaver a better ex? Zereoue who (except for some few Ravens games)? Parker and Davenport.. why not Jamal and Priest, Bruener.. Jermaine Lewis.

Some few former Ravens, (bold played last year in the NFL): Jermaine Lewis, Jamie Sharper, Kim Heering, Jeff Mitchell, Casey Rabach, Duane Starks, C-Mac, Brandon Stokley, Edwin Mulitalo, Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor, Chris Redman, AD, Priest Holmes, Gary Baxter, Willie Demps, Anthony Weaver, Marques Douglas, Dave Zastudil, Edgerton Hartwell, Roderick Green, Devard Darling, Dwan Edwards, Chester Taylor, Kyle Boller, Musa Smith, Ovie Mughelli, Aubrayo Franklin, Tony Pashos, Adam Terry, JB, Derek Anderson, Kyle Boller, David Pittman (now Steelers), Quinn Sypniwski, Yamon Figurs, Bart Scott, Daniel Wilcox, LJ Smith, Jim Leonhard, Justin Bannan and just like other teams in this league several Others

Oh and Sam Adams and Rod Woodson who later played in another SB, Shannon Sharpe, Trent Dilfer, Gary Stills, Mike Anderson, BJ Sams and Matt Stover.

The fact is that at this present time the current Steelers have way more GT than the Ravens, and most of that Game time when they were Steelers. So no Steelers cut not ties with guys really that early.

They are back cheap. They let them walk for the big payday and when their value bottoms out and they can find a way to use them. Then they can be brought back at a favorable price.

Okay. Is that not what ozzie did when he let Mughelli, Pashos, AD, JB, Bart and others go?

Sure but he should have added Reed, CMac, Flynn, and several others. I do think that they should have kept Bart and or AD over Suggs. Pashos was an OK RT and not giving him a big deal was the right move.

Disagree, sure I hate some of Suggs behaviour, still he is the most multi talented passrusher we have had.

Of course you would, you buffoon. Thomas is all but out of the league, and Scott still wasn't the best linebacker on his own team last year.

Papa wants to change every single decision that Ozzie has ever made, it's extremely annoying, especially when we've been one of the few franchises consistently with a good record.

Of course you would, you buffoon. Thomas is all but out of the league, and Scott still wasn't the best linebacker on his own team last year.

Ok dumbass. So in what way did Belicheck use AD in a smart way. He was never built to be a full-time ILB. Bill tried to jam that square peg in that round hole. Scott has been more of the place setter in NY. It has allowed others to succeed. Maybe you should open those slits in your head and watch the games.