ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens sign Ben Watson

vmax

Joe needs weapons and he's a good one.....

While no one knows whether Benjamin Watson can come close to repeating last season's career year, the one certainty is how much the Baltimore Ravens wanted the veteran tight end. It will go down as one of the more unexpected signings based on how the Ravens typically do business in free agency.

This is the first time the Ravens have ever reached an agreement with another team's free agent during the four-year history of the negotiating period. The deal can't be made official until the new league year begins at 4 p.m. ET Wednesday.

Watson is only the fifth unrestricted free agent to be signed by Baltimore in the last six offseasons. The Ravens prefer cap cuts because they don't count against compensatory picks.

And the Ravens had to be aggressive in order to pry him away from the New Orleans Saints, who reportedly wanted to keep him and are now thin at that position.

So, why did the Ravens want him so badly? Baltimore prides itself on being a tight end-friendly offense, and the Ravens needed an experienced and durable one. Watson is known for being a leader after 13 seasons in the NFL and he's only missed one game over the last four seasons. The addition of Watson reveals the Ravens' level of concern about Crockett Gillmore's availability this season (two shoulder surgeries this offseason), Nick Boyle's suspension (10 games for peformance-enhancing drugs) and Dennis Pitta's future (a potential post-June 1 salary cap cut)...http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/26255/ravens-really-really-wanted-saints-tight-end-ben-watson. http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/26255/ravens-really-really-wanted-saints-tight-end-ben-watson

Very out of character but a solid move.

Watson is a different skill set than Maxx Williams or Crockett Gilmore. I love his athleticism and YAC ability. Unusual move by the Ravens however. Signing an unrestricted free agent coming off of a career year on the first day of free agency. Hard not to think that we are "buying high". Watson to me has seemed like a system guy his whole career. Trestman is good at utilizing tight-ends so this might be a good fit. The contract is only two years for $8M.

Guess that means Pitta is done. I also wonder if this signals anything about Gilmore's shoulder?

Out of character because it shows how desperate they are at TE. Gilmore had 2 surgeries and

Boyle has a 10 game suspension. The were in need of a strong verteran performer.

Ravens will now cough up a comp pick which Ozzie hates but he'll probably have more than anyone,

Watson is a different skill set than Maxx Williams or Crockett Gilmore. I love his athleticism and YAC ability. Unusual move by the Ravens however. Signing an unrestricted free agent coming off of a career year on the first day of free agency. Hard not to think that we are "buying high". Watson to me has seemed like a system guy his whole career. Trestman is good at utilizing tight-ends so this might be a good fit. The contract is only two years for $8M.

Guess that means Pitta is done. I also wonder if this signals anything about Gilmore's shoulder?

Pitta has always been gone. That turned out to be a really bad contract.

Out of character because it shows how desperate they are at TE. Gilmore had 2 surgeries and

Boyle has a 10 game suspension. The were in need of a strong verteran performer.

Ravens will now cough up a comp pick which Ozzie hates but he'll probably have more than anyone,

You are saying just what I said last yr. Imagine if they had gotten a FA and not drafted Boyle.

Ozzie loves to gain draft picks not give them and often has more comp picks than anyone and

will still have enough.

Gilmore was the vet this season and they got 833 yards from the TE position and some good

blocking from Boyle but they were down to just Maxx for sure before this signing.

This move means we are not signing any other unrestricted free agents. Ozzie will not lose that third round compensation pick that KO is going to bring in (we still have to hope that someone signs Upshaw, which will cancel out the Watson signing; Colts are the favorites for Upshaw). Anyone else we bring in will be someone who has been cut this offseason.

Desperation is 2nd round tendering a young tight end who has not played a snap in the NFL. I liked Watson way back when he was young. Now, smells like a Dallas Clarke type move.

We are desparate. Gilmore had labrum surgery on both shoulders. Maxx Williams isn't exactly Mr. Durable.

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0494560270622921978-4

Still not bad numbers for a 35 yr old wherever he played but he doesn't even have to duplicate that

number, just contribute and marginally. See like for how.

With two capable tight ends already on the roster in Gillmore and Williams, Watson simply needs to contribute marginally, and quite frankly a stat line in the 40 reception, 500-yard and multiple touchdown range would be considered a win for the Ravens.

Based on his play last season, Watson is quite capable of achieving that feat during his first season in purple and black.

http://www.russellstreetreport.com/2016/03/09/tale-of-the-tape/ben-watson-solid-veteran-presence/

Oh I know, they needed a tempt tight end. But at his age, with all the miles, just how effective can he be?

I have no problem with the miles and age. Watson is one of those physical freaks. My concern is he appears to be a system player. He was a great weapon in New Orleans, but is he a fit for our offense? He was rather forgettable in Cleveland. Jimmy Graham wasn't nearly as effective after being traded from New Orleans. So I don't know the answer to that question.

Great posts by VA and Thundercleetz.

Good point about the system but he should be able to give the numbers posted above under

Trestman who loves to pass a lot and to TEs. As mentioned, the Ravens 3 TEs almost produced

the same numbers so they should be able to spread it around when Gilmore comes back and

with Maxx bulking it up.

Actually, Watson should do better simply because TRestman doesn't like to use TEs for blockers.

That's because the LBs are usually bigger and faster than the TE. So Trest also figures that leaves

one less defender and an extra open spot for his TE to hit. He makes up for the loss of a blocker to

have the Center call out a shift for the line to move down in his zone blocking scheme.

You know, this is exactly what Dickson said on radio. He said people criticize my blocking but they

have no idea that I'm going vs LBs 50-75 lbs heavier than me and faster. A lot of fans don't know that.

And with WAtson, he'll have a good one despite his age, what stadium he plays in and especially with

Joe throwing to him.

See link for more details with Trestman and his TEs

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/34136-How-Trestman-and-Kromer-Uses-TEs

Is there a target date for Gilmore's return?

No target date but Ozzie says he will play this year.

“We got positive news last week, but he still has a recovery road that he has to go down in order to get himself ready for the beginning of the year,” Newsome said of Gillmore. “I feel very good about him barring any setbacks.”

Still, even if Pitta isn’t on the team, Gillmore has to miss a few weeks and Boyle obviously will be on the shelf, the Ravens still would have Watson and Williams, and they should be able to find a competent third tight end between Ford, who they tendered at a cost of $1.67 million, Spears, Waller and Reuland.http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/bal-ravens-introduce-watson-move-waller-to-tight-end-20160310-story.html